Daring class

General chat about boats
Mcglashon

Daring class

Post by Mcglashon »

In the early 70,s I sailed an Osprey in my first Birkett at Ullswater The trophy was won by a Daring class dinghy. Ive never heard of this class before or since.Any body out there who may have heard of this class? I seem to remember there was some controversy surrounding the boat.
davidh

Re: Daring class

Post by davidh »

Hi....Not aware of much in the way of controversy but the Daring was a very special boat - it hailed from here on the South Coast. If you do a search on the forum you'll find plenty of mention of them..... sadly though I do not think that there are any remaining! A hard chine 'flyer' for it's day......

I've some pictures and details - indeed I once trailed half the way up country on a fruitless mission to recover a Daring - but it wasn't one!

Dougal
David H
Fireball14017

Post by Fireball14017 »

I used to sail at West Kirby SC ( Wirral, Cheshire) in the late 50's/ early 60's on the Marine Lake there. For a season or two there was one Daring class dinghy there which I was fortunate enough to have a few sails in. I remember her having a red hull and the name "Very Daring" along each topside. I also remember her being a very quick boat with large sail area which was quicker than the old Hornet I sailed with a pal of mine at the time. The Daring was also faster in comparison to Ents, GP's, Fireflies and Grads that were sailed there in those days too of course. I always thought the Daring was an Australian design but I maybe wrong? I was so impressed by that Daring dinghy; that when I bought my first Fireball in 1975 No K 9986 I called my Fireball "Very Daring" such was the impression that Daring dinghy made on me in those early days of sailing. You had to be Very Daring to sail a Daring dinghy. Aptly named I feel.
clibb

Post by clibb »

I remember the red Daring very clearly. We lived in a house on the front, overlooking the marine lake, and I saw that Daring frequently. It was the reason I was looking for one some years ago, but have been unable to find one. I actually visited the people who owned the red Daring back in the 60's. The boat was leaned, on it's side, in the garage, but the owners wouldn't part with it. The Daring was designed by Bill O'Brien, and I mentioned the West Kirby boat to him on a couple of occasions. He was well aware of it, of course, and when I said that it was pity the boat had no competition on the lake he said that the owners weren't interested in racing it, they merely wanted the fastest boat on the lake. They certainly got it.

Nick