OK

General chat about boats
slim

OK

Post by slim »

Anyone know of a chandler that might have a round inspection hatch for an ok? Have tried locally and on ebay but no luck.
Hatch is a bit on the big side,hole has a diameter of approx 310mm!
Thanks.
Alan P.

Re: OK

Post by Alan P. »

Hello Slim

Sounds like you've got an elderly OK that has large holes in the cockpit bulkheads that were once plugged with washing up bowls on shock cord?

Barton do fairly large screw in inspection hatches but the usual way of getting over this one is to make up some ply discs (or other matching shape) that cover the existing holes. Then cut holes in the centre of these of a diameter to fit a standard size inspection hatch of your choice. These ply discs can be attached to the bulkhead with a series of set screw bolts as they will be a semi perm fixture although it can be very useful to be able remove them to gain access if needs be. A strip of seal/gasket with self adhesive on one side can be stuck on the mating surface of the discs so when attached to the bulkheads they will be nice and water tight and will not stick to the bulkheads when the discs are removed.
Sure, you are adding a little weight but it is very little indeed and it will mean that you can sail your OK on it's side and upside down with no worries. The washing up bowl set up was rightly outlawed by the class many years ago

I hope this all makes sense. I cannot figure out how to add a picture to this post.
Edit: I've put a picture or two that shows what I mean on my Flickr page. http://www.flickr.com/photos/alanprice.

Alan
OK 1211 Peter Crew wood 1968
Gull 2892 Hartley MK6 Plastic 2014
Streaker 1582. Home built. Wood 2005
kfz

Post by kfz »

Ger 575b by Aude 11, on Flickr

Go to you pic and find the icon in the bottom right with the box and the arrow coming out. Click this. Then go grab the bbcode and copy it to the forum text as bit is.

Cooking on gas.

Kev
slim

Post by slim »

Thanks for the replies folks. Already started making up a spacer piece to fit a smaller hatch,just a pity I've got to make two so it looks the same on both sides!

Think the washing up bowl idea is fantastic by the way :lol: Not sure what the missus would think though.
Alan P.

Post by Alan P. »

Thanks for the tip and demo Kev. Like a lot of things, easy when you know how.

Slim, if you have'nt got washing up bowls in your OK, what have you got?. Just holes? And are'nt there not two but three, two on the forward bulkhead and one on the rear into the transom tank? Now Kev has shown us how, post some pics here if poss. I'd love to have a nose. Some more info on your OK would be good too.
Tried many a class of dinghy over the years but i've always had at least one OK ready to play with. They are the biz!

www.okdinghy.co.uk
Last edited by Alan P. on Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OK 1211 Peter Crew wood 1968
Gull 2892 Hartley MK6 Plastic 2014
Streaker 1582. Home built. Wood 2005
kfz

Post by kfz »

Must admit I fancy one, ever since I saw bill Sylvester sailing his at NSC. Lovely looking boat.

Not sure hie suitable for the Mersey,s special version of wind against tide....

Best of luck to the class though, every time I come across some bit I make sure they get sold right back into circulation.

Kev
LASERTOURIST

Post by LASERTOURIST »

Early OK's had shockcord /washing basins sort of hatches....the kind of thing that could go horribly wrong in big open sea / hard breee conditions if you did not right up 30 seconds after capsize....but even earlier OKs (I owned the F3 a very early example made in the early sixties by Jouët) had wooden deck hatches (sometimes locked from the cockpit via a line , block , cleat arrangement that were even worse (the only bonus was acessing the centreboard pivot easily)....

OK class stubbornly refused for years and 420 style side tanks allowing righting up with no water (even though some french FFV / Club molds for mateur builders were made with this style of tanks...and the builders had to cut big holes down to bottom of the cockpit with a jigsaw to be class compliant) ..

I never understood why, as the OK was a very treacherous beast downwnd in big sea and wind conditions and went broaching all over the place with the low slung boom hitting the water (in comparison the Laser is very well behaved , the small rudder is not so bad as it learns one to steer by hull balancing rather than making stupid efforts on the tiller)