Buoyancy aids

General chat about boats
phil58490

Buoyancy aids

Post by phil58490 »

As its that time of year when things arrive unexpectedly wrapped in crinkly paper and we utter the words, "Oh, that's just what I wanted," or something similar.
I currently use a Typhoon buoyancy aid which needs replacing, I think I'd like to try something else and so I am here to get the views or recommendations about various buoyancy aids. My current one seems always to ride up onto my shoulders and upper chest in the water and to some extent whilst tacking and gybing. Has anyone tried one of the compression buoyancy aids or can point me towards something better that stays put. Thanks.
Just across the Tamar in South East Cornwall

Solo 4928
Solo 3406
Hit 5 Sold
Rupert

Re: Buoyancy aids

Post by Rupert »

Trouble with the Compressor one is you'll have to put up with being called Batman for ever more...

I just tend to buy whichever side entry BA is cheapest on ebay at the time I need one. Which doesn't help a lot...
Rupert
JB9

Post by JB9 »

We may have a batman ba for sale at a much discounted price as it has been used for season. PM me if you are interested?
Harrier 25
505 7163
phil58490

Post by phil58490 »

Being called 'Batman' is far better than some of the things I have been called!

JB I have pm'd you.
Just across the Tamar in South East Cornwall

Solo 4928
Solo 3406
Hit 5 Sold
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

phil58490 wrote:Being called 'Batman' is far better than some of the things I have been called!

JB I have pm'd you.
Robin?

Aquaman? (For Big Bang fans)

Michael Brigg
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

I have three BAs at the moment. For proper sailing I use the compressor type as it's really comfy, nice and streamlined and most importantly, doesn't snag when I'm hauling myself into the boat after a capsize.

I very recently bought a brand new Rooster design, because I wanted the big pocket on the front. That is now consigned to instructing and safety boating because although very comfy, and great for sailing in, when/if you fall in the pocket is a complete nightmare when trying to haul yourself back in.......

The other one is a Sola over the head one, which the Rooster was intended to replace. Fine all round, though it can work loose and ride up whilst swimming....

Anyone spot a theme here?
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
kfz

Post by kfz »

What Nessa says the big problem with those ones with the buckles down the front is they snag on the board or on gunwhales when hauling yourself onboard. Same with big pockets.

The only way to stop the ridding up is with crotch straps.

The bit I don't like with Bouyancy aids is how they easily pulled off when try to lift or lift one on the safety boat with their arms up. Stupid design.

Plus they very rarely have provision for the VHF either.

Interested to see what you can find.

Kev
Obscured by clouds

Post by Obscured by clouds »

best B/A I ever had was a Musto Gilet with around 50n of built in buoyancy, plus a manual/gas lifejacket element. It was toasty warm to wear [fleece lined].
Never actually used it in anger, as it where. Loaned it out years ago and never got it back.

I now use a Delta b/a, originally designed for open canoe use, so it has plenty of arm freedom and a cecent pocket left fromt. zips up the front with buckles though.
Tony

MR 2404 Julia Dream
N18 276 Sibrwd [ongoing project]
Hirondelle catamaran Kalipse
[down to 3!]