Family 14 rig

General chat about boats
torrorie

Family 14 rig

Post by torrorie »

I have just acquired a Family 14, but the mainsail that comes with her is from a YW Dayboat (No. 345 if the owner wants his sail back!).

It is too long in the luff, and the gooseneck track has been lowered to accommodate it. However, it is still not possible to fully tension the luff, and the lower boom is a pain.

Does anyone have the correct dimensions for a Family 14 main? Not just the luff, but also the foot, since the boom is alloy and not original. I have been given a wooden boom from an Enterprise, but don't know if it will be suitable.

Any info. much appreciated, and any other details about the Wright & Son Family 14 would be good. Very little available on line.
JimC

Re: Family 14 rig

Post by JimC »

torrorie wrote:It is too long in the luff, and the gooseneck track has been lowered to accommodate it. However, it is still not possible to fully tension the luff, and the lower boom is a pain.
You may find it won't cost a fortune to have a sailmaker chop 6 inches off the foot of the sail. If you give him the original luff length he'll know how much to chop.
torrorie

Post by torrorie »

Thanks Jim,

New owner enthusiasm persuades me to try and find the right dimensions for her. I may well resort to your suggestion, but I am still left with the YW Dayboat insignia on the main, which I probably couldn't remove without leaving evidence.

Living in hope - by the way, does anyone know how to contact Overystaithe SC (where there are some Family 14s)? My e-mails get returned as undeliverable.

Torrorie
roger

Post by roger »

Is this the place you are looking for?

http://www.overystaithesc.org.uk/
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353