Percy Blandford RIP

General chat about boats
Rupert

Percy Blandford RIP

Post by Rupert »

From the PB facebook page, from his Grad-daughter Carol:

It is with great sadness and a heavy heart that i have to inform you all that my gramp Percy passed away peacefully today x
Rupert
Nessa

Re: Percy Blandford RIP

Post by Nessa »

How sad, but what a legacy he leaves us, boats and books.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

I had two PB boats a a kid - a canoe and a rowing boat, and my Dad built a couple of folding dinghies many years ago.

I'd love to know how many boats boats were built to his plans.
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
davidh

Post by davidh »

All,

yes, I'd seen this too and felt saddened with by the news - another highly significant 'name' from that golden post war era that is no more. I did ask around to see if there was much desire for an Obituary but for most of the potential 'outlets' I got the proverbial shake of the head - not to mention "what's a Wensum"? I find this sad, for it is good content for the mags that is 'free' - I've made it my own rule not to charge for Obits, but even then it's not wanted.

So - what to do??

This morning I have a short article on the 90th anniversary of the Shipping forecast on the 'Long Wave' and then will complete the short obit that is already part written; sometimes a completed work stands more chance of getting in.

I know that the timescales are sort but if anyone on here has any useful and interesting 'factoids' on PBs boat then please either post them here or email them to me at dougal@davidhenshallmedia.co.uk and I'll do my best. Does anyone have any pictures?

Cheers

D
David H
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

There is a lot of stuff on the PB appreciation page on Facebook - you'd be able to get in contact with people, including his Grand-daughter, there.

I guess one of the good things about the Y&Y website is that you can at least get something out there for people to read online, even if the print version is more interested in a render of the latest identical megabucks yacht.
Rupert
Obscured by clouds

Post by Obscured by clouds »

Maybe one of the more canoe oriented websites might be a better place. Also the various canoeing union mags?
Tony

MR 2404 Julia Dream
N18 276 Sibrwd [ongoing project]
Hirondelle catamaran Kalipse
[down to 3!]
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

The Surfing Museum in Devon have picked up on the story - I'd not realized how big his influence was in the early days of UK surfing.
Rupert
davidh

Post by davidh »

Sadly, it appears that my initial fears have been confirmed with no real interest in taking anything on PB, though I won't archive my file on this just yet.

However, I refuse to be downhearted, as developments elsewhere are giving me some real confidence that we could, at long last, be seeing some real media 'exposure' for the classics scene!

Watch this space

D
David H