Spencer 7

General chat about boats
Max McCarthy

Spencer 7

Post by Max McCarthy »

Dear all,

Not quite sure, how I have managed to get myself in this position (again) but anyway....

I should be off tomorrow, to go and have a look at a Spencer 7 Cherub, is there anything I should be on the look out for? As far as I am aware, she comes with pretty much everything to get her sailing....and cherub experts who can point me in the direction of what to look out for, please let me know....

Also, I don't want to infringe the CVRDA guidelines, if I can help it, so does anyone know when the Spencer 7 was designed? I know the boat was built before 1985 (or at least, I am pretty sure) it having sail number of 1658....

I have heard she is a pretty solid boat, so I should be coming home with another boat tomorrow!

If all the CVRDA requirements, are there and it is not a wreck....I look forward to seeing you at CVRDA events, in the future! :mrgreen:

Cheers,

Max
AC 298 TimeWarp
Cherub 2627 - Sgt Murphy (nee Last Amber Dragon)
Farr 3.7 (slowly progressing build)
National 12 3337
davidh

Re: Spencer 7

Post by davidh »

Max,

would love to help but the postage stamp where most of my Cherub knowledge is stored doesn't include details on the Spencer 7.

but I know a man who does know and luckily for you he too is a regular on here.

Jim C..... I'm sure you're the man who can answer Max's question!

But I too will enjoy reading the answer

Regards

D
David H
Max McCarthy

Post by Max McCarthy »

Hi David,

Yes, I thought someone might say that!

I had better ask him....

So, Jim, any info you can pass on?

Cheers,

Max
AC 298 TimeWarp
National 12 3337
JimC

Post by JimC »

Definitely CVRDA. Almost certainly built pre 1972. There was one Spencer 7 built oddly late about 74 or 75. Glue failure is really the main concern with lightweight wood boats of that sort of age, beyond the normal stuff like rot. Abused Cherubs can also be vulnerable to split chines in the mast/front tank area which are a pain to fix. Leaky sidetank/floor join is also a common annoyance.
Max McCarthy

Post by Max McCarthy »

Thanks Jim!

I shall take a good look at it tomorrow....I have heard that the boat was dry stored for a number of years, so hopefully she will be in relatively good condition....

Jim, on a side note, I have also completed the survey on the int canoe site, about club py. I hope it is of use.....

Many thanks, for the reply!

Cheers,

Max
AC 298 TimeWarp
National 12 3337
Max McCarthy

Post by Max McCarthy »

Well, I have got home now, and have started sorting through the fittings (which came unattached to the boat). And I have discovered a few things missing....

.....but that is for another thread!

I am now the proud owner of Crazy Horse, and for a boat of this vintage, she is remarkably solid! So, all in all, I am rather pleased with her....

I shall post an image of her tomorrow, along with a few questions regarding the missing fittings and spar.

Cheers,

Max
AC 298 TimeWarp
National 12 3337
chopperado

Post by chopperado »

Glad your happy but I'm not lol been after a answer on this boat for weeks but guess it has new owner now. It said in add there was a carbon mast dI'd you get that too
chopperado

Post by chopperado »

Glad your happy but I'm not lol been after a answer on this boat for weeks but guess it has new owner now. It said in add there was a carbon mast dI'd you get that too
Max McCarthy

Post by Max McCarthy »

All,

Here is my progress, although it has been a little tricky to get much done in the recent weather, although fortunately, we have avoided a lot of flooding (I hope l those near where floods are, are getting on alright?), here it is to date:

The beginning. I had discovered that the paint was pealing off in a few places, and unfortunately a hole, which must have occurred when we brought her home, so I decided a full strip down was in order (also, I am not too keen on the two tone red - it looked as though the paint used changed colour half ay through!

The plywood, which I rather like, has led me to think, that it might be nice to varnish the hull, completely (or above the chine, with paint below) but, first I will see how I get on stripping the rest of the boat, first...

The work done; to date:

As you can probably see, there is a little primer still to get rid of (and of course, a lot of paint!) so I have a bit of sanding to do as well...

So, what do you think; a varnished hull, or not? If so, should I go with paint below the chines as well?

Cheers,

Max

On a side note: Chopperado, sorry you did not get the boat, and yes I did get the carbon mast as well, and I hope you find a suitable cherub soon....
AC 298 TimeWarp
National 12 3337
JimC

Post by JimC »

White below the chines, varnish above was a common Cherub finish back in the 70s.
The really neat ones had tiger stripe sapele with the stripes vertical which could look sensational...
Max McCarthy

Post by Max McCarthy »

Yes, exactly what I was planning on...and it is interesting that to hear it was common in the Cherubs, during the 70's...

And I can only imagine what the tiger strip sapele would look like, although I can imagine how good it looked!

Cheers,

Max
AC 298 TimeWarp
National 12 3337
trebor

Post by trebor »

Hi Max, looks very nice, keep up the good work.
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
http://www.aquabatdinghy.co.uk
Max McCarthy

Post by Max McCarthy »

Thanks Rob, I will let you know how I get on...

Cheers,

Max
AC 298 TimeWarp
National 12 3337
trebor

Post by trebor »

Hi Max, one of our members has an old wooden Cherub, the dagger board is really long, you have to leave it down when you are sailing, it is a "Foreman 9", I was crewing in it last year in strong winds, when it ran aground, throwing us both to the floor of boat, we survived only to run aground again, we then had to lift out dagger board to get back to shore, their is a post on here somewhere about the boat. Rob.
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
http://www.aquabatdinghy.co.uk
JimC

Post by JimC »

trebor wrote:it is a "Foreman 9"
Betcha its not! Chris F's last design was the mk 8.