The start of a new Frankenboat project...

General chat about boats
Rupert

The start of a new Frankenboat project...

Post by Rupert »

Rupert
trebor

Re: The start of a new Frankenboat project...

Post by trebor »

it will be interesting to see how it points and if it is faster.
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
http://www.aquabatdinghy.co.uk
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

My Minisprint development project pretty much stopped as soon as I sailed the minisprint and found my weight was in danger of breaking it or sinking it in double time.....

However, I do still have the MX-Ray sail that I bought to use for my messing around.

if anyone wants to take this fun development a bit further, please do just give me a call. Or of course if you want a half-decent MX-Ray sail :-)

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
trebor

Post by trebor »

What are these plankers like to sail?
I may convert to wings if I cannot get on with it.
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

They take a bit of getting used to.

To begin with, simply push yourself out on the seat as though it is a wider bit of boat, keeping you feet inboard. As you get more confident, you can get your feet out onto the gunwale. This is easiest in a steady wind, of course.

The seat is lubricated with water. Whatever you do, don't spray it with prolube! If it dries out, you might find it won't slide across, and you will then go swimming! As soon as the boat capsizes, the seat will merrily pop across... Best bet on a hot day is to scoop water up to keep it wet.

You will have to learn a new style of tacking. My experience is 20+ years old (I sold my Sprint in 91, I think) but if you can't find someone with more recent skills, I'm happy to help. I used to sail mine on the Irish Sea, were it was amazing. Being washed off the seat by huge waves was, looking back, quite scary, but what the hell, I was young and daft! The experience of sailing along with one arm over the seat, trying to climb back on having been pushed off backwards is one to remember. As is adjusting yourself on the seat, and in doing so lifting your weight off it. Away slides the seat, and you are left with a cartoon moment where time stands still with you suspended in mid air... You can guess what happens next.

All in all, you will get wet, but you will also have more fun than you though possible.

In fact, this is the 2nd thing in 1/2 an hour (Jim C's Y&Y pic of IC Swe 101 being the other) that has made me think a sliding seat might be fun again.
Rupert
RonnyDG

Post by RonnyDG »

They take a bit of getting used to
That's a witty understatement.
I went out for the first time with my seat mounted 14 days ago. It was fine, well there was hardly any wind. ( some images over here)
Went out for a second time last Sunday -blowing really strong-and it was the beginning of a huge learning curve.
During the 30 minutes I was out I must have been five minutes on the boat, doing two tacks and one gibe, all failed. That's fine but I learned the hard way that the exercise includes learning to get back on the boat again as well (the plank seemed not to want me there again).
You could try and fit the plank on your Sprite if we meet Rupert, in theory the hulls are identical so it should fit. Would require you to drill two 8mm holes in the gunwales, mind.
Greetings,
Ronny
trebor

Post by trebor »

Hi Ronny, looked wet.
Hi Rupert, could you not fit a type of ball catch to hold plank out, similar to type on lightweight doors?
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Rob, the seat needs to be able to be sat on when partially out as well as when fully out.

I'm sure there are experts on here (canoe sailors) who can tell you exactly the best ways of getting the seat to do what you want.

Mostly, time in the boat (or out of it, as Ronny is finding) is what you'd need. I would too, after a long time without using one. On a small lake, I found the boat much nicer without the seat, but as a learning curve for larger water, it would be fun to put one back on, maybe...
Rupert
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

http://minisailnews.blogspot.co.uk/

She has now been sailing - pictures on the link above!
Rupert
trebor

Post by trebor »

looks great, it will be interesting to see how it points, if mast curve indicates pointing ability, it should be almost as good as an Aquabat.
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

No relation between pointing and mast curve...

The Aquabat has a fairly narrow sheeting angle, but do be careful on how high you point - it is possible to go very close to the wind in most boats, but the speed drops off faster than the distance gained, and you make more leeway. On a small lake, it can be worthwhile to pinch on occasion, but generally a balance needs to be found.
Rupert
trebor

Post by trebor »

Thats the problem with sailing on a small lake, the longest leg is only 600 metres, and very rarely is this an upwind leg.
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

We will be doing lots of upwind work at Whitefriars in July, which I hope will help to make things clear.
Rupert
trebor

Post by trebor »

I still use coaching methods from the last time I was at Whitefriars, and look forward to learning some more.
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia