Knee protection

General chat about boats
phil58490

Knee protection

Post by phil58490 »

Has anyone got a recommendation for knee protecters that stay put, I have tried a number of different pairs but I always seem to end up with shin pads. I have a pair of expensive kevlar material covered ones 'designed for sailing' but these are no better. All those have been tried with dry suits and wet suits and as it warms up it will soon be short wearing weather and I need some knee protection as my current boats all have aggressive skin removing non-slip.
Just across the Tamar in South East Cornwall

Solo 4928
Solo 3406
Hit 5 Sold
Michael4

Re: Knee protection

Post by Michael4 »

Have you tried the ones for roofers and tilers etc? Builders yards sell 'em. My favourite chandlery, Screwfix, has them too...as do Toolstation, swivelling ones!

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Workwea ... 186/p89286
Tideway 206
11+
Sold the 'Something bigger and plastic', it never got used.
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

Try Caving Kneepads. Used them for years.
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
imptoo

Post by imptoo »

phil58490 wrote:Has anyone got a recommendation for knee protecters that stay put, I have tried a number of different pairs but I always seem to end up with shin pads. I have a pair of expensive kevlar material covered ones 'designed for sailing' but these are no better. All those have been tried with dry suits and wet suits and as it warms up it will soon be short wearing weather and I need some knee protection as my current boats all have aggressive skin removing non-slip.

I wear knee Musto knee pads with d3o smart foam. I got mine from APS in Annapolis, Maryland but since Musto is a British brand, surely they must be available locally for you. I wear mine both while racing my Classic Moths and also while figure skating. These pads not only provide lots of protection (one biffed jump landing on skates sold me on their protective qualities) but stay in place as well. The d30 padding is a ballistic quality foam which has molecules which "organize" on impact and then dissipate the energy by returning to randomness after the shock passes. The pads work well on the boat too, especially on those light air races when I'm on my knees in the cockpit all day attempting to keep wetted surface minimal.

You can read about the pads here: http://www.apsltd.com/c-7304-d30-knee-p ... musto.aspx

You can read about d30 here: http://www.d3o.com/
phil58490

Post by phil58490 »

Just an update, I have found that 'Spinlock' knee pads stay put and provide enough padding to protect my ageing knees. At last knee pads that don't end up as shin pads! Not the cheapest or the dearest but easily the best I have found.
Just across the Tamar in South East Cornwall

Solo 4928
Solo 3406
Hit 5 Sold