N12 or classic moth for single-handing?

General chat about boats
alk

N12 or classic moth for single-handing?

Post by alk »

Hi all, I'm currently looking to get back into sailing as my father has recently passed away and some of my favourite memories involved being forced to sail, and subsequently falling in love with sailing. My brother and eventually I shared a N12 and when we weren't fighting we were reasonably good a club level due to our low weight.

These days my brother hates sailing and besides, we weigh far too much combined to sail a N12. I love the lines of the N12 designs and as a result have ruled out all other eminently suitable dinghy classes. The only other boat I loved as much as the National 12's were international moths. A few years ago I gave Mothing a try in a (relatively) modern Pearce 6 design with alu mast and wings - but I wasn't up to it.

Recently I have been reading up on the possibility of single-handing a National 12, but classic moth's keep appearing in my searches. Designs like the Mistral and Skol even look vaguely '12 like. Are there second-hand classic moths out there (in the UK) and are they quite as tricky to sail as the very-narrow International Moths?
Nessa

Re: N12 or classic moth for single-handing?

Post by Nessa »

The skol isn't easy, but it's nothing like as tricky as dome of the magnums etc. I have two Skols and will be hoping to sell one quite soon. I had hoped to get it up together of the Hunts meet but have run out of time.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
alk

Post by alk »

I do like a challenge, but the 30 odd cm hull was just too much, and it floated very high when capsized to boot. The older moths look great to me. Please let me know if/when you move on your other skol.
fcdbm

Post by fcdbm »

I'm going to go completely off message here and suggest you look at the new RS Aero. This will be a modern classic. Super light (like Moth) but completely sorted. The design is by Jo Richards, designer of 2 great National 12s; Punkarella in the 70s and more recently Dead Cat Bounce.

I sailed a Mistral as a nipper, very tippy and needed constant attention to trim. I have a Skol3 but it is so fragile it reminds me why I ended up sailing Lasers.

To come back on message, have you considered a Contender. Truly wonderful sailing.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

There are several people at Whitefriars who have spent many races singlehanded in a N12, and have coped no problem at all.

I guess if you are lake or river sailing, then it can work. If sailing on more open water, then no, stick with a singlehander.

The N12 shape is unique - I think once you have become addicted to it, nothing else will seem as pretty. The Skol is a little similar from a distance, but doesn't feel the same to sail.
Rupert
JimC

Post by JimC »

How heavy are you? The Moths really struggle with much over 11stone on board whereas the 12 singlehanded will be able to cope with much more.
alk

Post by alk »

fcdbm - I have only recently seen pictures of the RS Aero, it does seem to have a lot going for it. The only problem is I love the N12 and moth's for their atmosphere of fostering creativity as well as their prettiness! I won't rule it out though as owning an RS Aero looks more trouble free. I shall be sailing on a fairly small lake, so contenders are probably overkill.

JimC - In the last couple of years I have crept up to 12 stone so I can no longer consider myself a lightweight. I am leaning towards a single-bottomed 12, maybe a wider design to give me a little leverage in the gusts. That or the RS Aero, which does look interesting.
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Also have look at the Devoti Zero a very fine craft indeed.
Cheers Al
Stephen Hawkins

Post by Stephen Hawkins »

I quite often sail one of my National 12s single handed when conditions are right.

However, I do actually find I prefer to sail my older boat Planet, on my own, as it is has a heavy center plate, wooden spars, and seems more forgiving. Also, I can effectively reef it by using an old set of cotton sails, which also has a small jib and less 'extra' sail area outside the measured triangles.

Sparkle, a Starfish, on the other hand, is much wider, and seems more powerful, with a more modern cut of sails. I only sail that on my own in very light conditions. She is quite lively, so I prefer to take a crew, even if it only a nipper.

I am in love with the clinker 12s, its like looking at a shapely woman who is wearing a 'form hugging' dress with a vertical line print. The curves are there for all to appreciate. oooer - time for a cold shower!

Not sure how classic a Devoti is ? I thought they were all plastic and carbon fibre?

Cheers

Steve H
Steve Hawkins

1967 National 12 2383 "Sparkle"