OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
phil58490

Re: Moth pics

Post by phil58490 »

Can you/anyone name the designs of the boats?
Just across the Tamar in South East Cornwall

Solo 4928
Solo 3406
Hit 5 Sold
Spiderman

Post by Spiderman »

Hi Phil,

Yes and no in answer to your question...

I can positively identify three of the Moths in Nikky's pictures and I will refer to them by hull colour:-

White hull without wings is a Shelley Mk1
Purple hull with wings is a Magnum 5
Blue disruptive pattern hull is a Magnum 7

The other two are still a bit of a mystery:-

Yellow hull with white transom and no wings built by Dobsons of Shardlow and may be their own attempt at a double chine development of the Europa that they also built. Note the extremely wide flat transom shape!
Mint Green hull with wings may be a one off as I have never seen another one quite like it although the front end has a hint of Stockholm Sprite and the back end a little bit like a Womble? If Jonny can stop it leaking and falling to bits it may yet show its true potential, hopefully at roadford.
solentgal

Post by solentgal »

Many thanks to Nessa for the excellent pics.....very inspiring.

I agree with Spiderman exactly re the development on a Europa idea..... it was my first thought way back when I saw the boat prior to Nessa buying it. With these better pics I can see that the tanks are not just Europa tanks that have had a different hull built round them (my understanding of the build method is that the pre-formed tanks were attached to the transom/bulkhead/keel and box and then the hull formed around that? Anyone got any thoughts?) The Yellow boat has less of a radius on the roll of the tanks and has what looks like a slightly reverse sheer compared to my Europa, so not quite as close in design as I first thought.

The other mystery one was offered to me a year or so prior to Nessa purchasing it (it was too far for me to travel unless heading to Scotland on one of my visits unfortunately) I asked the then owner whether it was a Womble, based on the aft end view, but he didn't know (if my memory is correct).........so no idea what she is, but very interesting.

Now that I have reduced my fleet down to just 3 currently, (maybe 2 if someone wants a very cheap Scorpion) I will eventually be looking to add a slightly later Moth ....maybe a Mistral (I used to have one, but the wings were all wrong, a pig to sail) or similar if I can find one......no hurry as the Europa needs finishing first, but I now have space in the rafters if something interesting comes along.......bear this in mind anyone looking to move one on soon :)
Sami.
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

I have also now taken pictures of all the moth sails I have. I have one for each Skol and then three others, all fully battened. One is a Tasker Racing sail which Phil has baggsed, another is a mylar sail by Sanders, the last is a Star Sails of Wigan sail. If anyone is interested in the last two let me know. The bottom two panels of the mylar sail are pretty knackered, as happens with Mylar, but otherwise they are as you would expect for their age.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

The last Skol left my garden today, along with all the sails (one of which is using the cvrda courier system aka Lyndon to get to Ian at Clywedog.). I am sorry to see it all go, but far better for it to be put back together and used than have it fester here. Plus I am way too fat for a moth these days. I still have the Peril and will be hoping to do some restoration there over the winter.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
imptoo

Post by imptoo »

I may be wrong, but the mint green hull with tubes and tramps looks like a Derek Chester design called "Mirage". The Mirage was basically a skinny version of Chester's better known stitch and glue "Mistral" design which, in turn, was derived from Benoit Duflos' elegant but difficult to build Moth. The most notable feature of the Mirage is that the two hull skin panels can be made from a single 4 foot by 12 foot sheet of 3mm ply.

Another possibility for this mint green boat would be Chris Eyre's "Poacher" design.

These two designs were contemporaries of the Magnum Mk II (i.e. early to mid-1970s).
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

The minty green boat has a distinct, deep cockpit, so it doesn't sound like a Mirage, but others may know better.

Annoyingly I found another mast on the garage roof today. It is on that sits on a little spike or sticking up thing, it may havecomefrom a magnum five. Who wants it?
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
imptoo

Post by imptoo »

How wide is Mint green on deck? If close to 5 feet then she might be a Mistral or Duflos with added tubes and tramps to give more righting moment when using the tall Aussie rig instead of a circle-M rig. The Mirage was quite narrow and needed wings no matter which rig was used, although by the time Chester came up with this design the class had uniformly moved to the Aussie rig and sail.
bornagainmothie

Post by bornagainmothie »

Greensforge Classic Moth fleet will be happy to take on a spare mast. Is it likely to have come from the orange Skol? We saw some pictures of an odd step arrangement on that boat.

The Minty green Mystery Moth is now undergoing rapid refurb with Dave W. I expect he will be signing up for the forum to report progress. I have a few pics of the hull now wings are removed for work, will post these later. The hull is nearly 5'wide so similar to a Mistral but with a tucked in flat bottomed transom rather than the rounded transom of Mistral/Duflos/Skol etc. Dave is busily researching its history and would be keen to learn more.

Lyndon
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

I think it probably did come from the orange skol, it has the right hole in the foot. Minty green came from Doncaster, but prior to that may have been at kielder, and before that Scotland. One of the battens that holds down the wing cloth has an address of someone who refurbished it back then. it is a great boat, I was sorry to let it go, but I'm really pleased that they are all having a new lease of life. :D
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
bornagainmothie

Post by bornagainmothie »

a couple of pics of the mystery moth......
Attachments
S_mm3634hull3.jpg
S_mm3634hull2.jpg