Steel Company of Wales SC

General chat about boats
v8deanoncvrda

Steel Company of Wales SC

Post by v8deanoncvrda »

Does anyone know the name of the girl from the Steel Company of Wales SC who was the Minisail National Champion for about 3 years in the late 1960's?
International Moth Blitz 2 3958 (work in progress)
MiniSprint MK2 'Scallywag' 7000
Leader II 1133
Julian

Re: Steel Company of Wales SC

Post by Julian »

Hiya all

This goes back to the long ago days when I was a snotty nosed kid crewing an Enterprise - wooden mast, but real sails. Wetsuit made on the formica topped kitchen table, yellow seam tapes, and as flexible as a medieval suit of armour. With the onset of winter, sailing would cease at Mumbles, my home club, and we would move down to the Steel Company for their frostbite series until Christmas.

The name you are looking for is Linda Ingram, she and her then husband Stuart were kings of the walk in the minisail class at the pond, this is very early 70s, when there were about ten boats in the fleet. Her dad Dewi Richards? was a well known Nat 18 sailor at Mumbles, and one of those behind the promotion of dinghy sailing in Wales. He had a fine Jimmy Edwards moustache, and was involved in the Welsh dinghy show which ran in Sophia Gardens in Cardiff for a few years in the 70s.

The Sailing club was a section of the steel company sports and social club, based on the Eglwys Nunyudd lake south east of Port Talbot, which provided cooling water for the works, and the club was subsidised by the steel company - back in the day when large public enterprises cared for their staff!!!!!

Interesting sights included Unicorns, M14s, and the life forming sight of the Commodore emptying the Elsan toilets.

Travelling home to Swansea in my helmsmans MGC, listening to the Alan Freeman chart show, with the Doors 'Riders on the Storm' as a chart single, and the tarry, roadworks, smell of the steelworks coke ovens covering the whole town of Port Talbot.

cheers

Julian

ps Two good races today, until Jacks girlfriend appeared, then a blast about with a 12 year old Topper sailor, to show her that Flying Dutchman sailing is something that small girls can do too!
JimC

Post by JimC »

I believe that Tata Steel SC, as it is now, still gets a certain amount of support.
davidh

Post by davidh »

Jim,

They do indeed...not so long ago they hosted Contenders, RS600s and ICs there. It is a great stretch of water.

there has been talk of a classic event going there which would be great - all the more so for some of the bigger boats that have, to date, been less than visible. Maybe for 2015?

By the way Jim (after the quick apology for the topic shift) are you still looking for PY data. I have the 'old' 1957 numbers, before they were multiplied out (by 1.2) to make the Firefly the benchmark on 100.

If of any help to you, shout!

Cheers

D
David H
keithr

Post by keithr »

hi all

Tata still quite active and I know Swansea uni still sail there.

Keith
Two Peggies 199,100,
Flying fifteen 1855,
Flying fifteen 204 (now in the barn)
Sunbird