N3246

General chat about boats
stuw

N3246

Post by stuw »

Just bought N3246 built and designed in 1986
Can I enter any CVRDA events or is she 1year too young.poor thing is nearly 30 years old and will never compete with a modern 12
Stuart
Rupert

Re: N3246

Post by Rupert »

Hi Stu,

In theory not, but it would be worth asking what the feelings are of an event organizer to see if you would be welcome.

How is the N12 classic scene? Or is that mainly for clinker boats?
Rupert
Stephen Hawkins

Post by Stephen Hawkins »

The National 12 Classic scene seems to mainly be aimed at the Clinker boats, from what I can see. But there is now renewed interest in the '4 plankers' from the 70's, with a 'mini series' being run for them this last year. Hopefully this is a good sign of things to come.

Smooth finished molded boats from the mid 80's onwards are currently, I suppose, in 'limbo', as not being competitive enough for the main fleet, but too new for the classic scene. Just like the 4 plankers, until very recently.

As a result they are very good value, as are the 4 plankers, if you can get on with their setup. Personally I am finding that an early 4 planker (Spider), based on an earlier clinker design(whisper), is about as new as I want to get. Just getting old and fat, I suppose, I like a boat I can sit in, not on, and as time went on the shallower the N12 hull became. They do look good though.

Patience could be the answer. Keep your boat in good order and race at club level, using the recommended PY as define by the N12 association for your age of N12, and perhaps at an occasional event as mentioned by Rupert above. Perhaps the N12 association will step up soon, if they have not already done so. Be worth enquiring on the N12 site where you stand as well. Or buy another slightly older one and have 2, they are that cheap. (I have 3)

I have a similar issue with my favourite N12, Sparkle, it is a glued clinker N12, the design (Starfish) is a 1961 design, but I do not make the pre-1965 cut-off for classic in the CVRDA, as it was the last one built, in 1967. Ho hum. If it were important to me, I would have to race Spider (built in 1971) instead, if it could be proved to be any faster. But I am only an occasional competitor, and am generally there to make up the numbers at the back and soak up the atmosphere.

Cheers
Steve Hawkins

1967 National 12 2383 "Sparkle"
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Steve, there have been many exceptions to the 1965 classic cut off point (all Fairey Fireflies, for instance), and a boat built to an earlier design in a develoment class could well be thought to be one, if it fitted the ethos of that wing (and the boat sailing) better.

Off course, at any event bar the Nationals it doesn't happen often that things are separated anyway, and even at the Nats it is only on the spreadsheet.
Rupert
Stephen Hawkins

That is nice to know, as if I were to go down to 1 boat, it would be Sparkle.

That said, the wife is talking about renaming Planet to Planter, if I do not watch out.

Cheers
Steve Hawkins

chris

Post by chris »

Not sure why you think Sparkle doesn't fit If it was built before 1985 then it is fine for a cvrda events.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Chris, just which fleet at the Nationals - I think Steve feels that she would fit better in with the Classic wing rather than the Old.
Rupert
Stephen Hawkins

Sorry Stuart,

Your boat is a late 4 planker. So you should be okay for the 4 plank mini-series assuming the N12 are running one next year. It is a lot more developed and later than mine : ) I think the were only 4 or 6 events held this year as a trial.

Good luck,

Steve H
Steve Hawkins

chris

Post by chris »

Ah! I see now. Rupert and Stephen.
Actually I think there is a case for being flexible on what wing is what depending on the construction/design details. There must be a good few boats that are borderline to being put in a category box. I would be quite happy to see a glued clinker in the classic wing instead of the Old wing if it seems to fit better.
angus

Post by angus »

At all the major and many of the lesser 12 events. National 12s run differnt catoragries for the differnt ages of boats. Normally these are vintage (Clinker), admirals cup (single bottom) double bottom and foiling. 3246 will fit into the admirals cup section and should enjoy competetive racing against other admiral cup boats. Don't be put off coming to a 12 event just becasue you have an old boat. You will find a wide range of boats and abilities and you will have loads of fun learn a lot and make loads of new friends even if you don't win anything.
N2153, N2969, Merlin Rocket 3484, Mini Sprint
Pat

Post by Pat »

With the Merlins we tend to put boats under 6ft hull width into classic which is basically pre-1969 but that has evolved because we know the class and have several attend so have results data. If the National 12's could demonstrate a similar more logical split we'd be happy to try it.
There is also discussion on the Merlin forum about events for the "Prime of Life" boats - post 1985 build but pre the modern designs so like N3246 not competitive with the modern fleet.
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
angus

Post by angus »

I think you will find that the splits the 12s use are quite logical and correspond to changes in rules or step changes in evolution.
N2153, N2969, Merlin Rocket 3484, Mini Sprint
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I think Pat meant the splits the cvrda use for N12s.
Rupert