Moth merry-go-round

General chat about boats
solentgal

Re: Moth merry-go-round

Post by solentgal »

Well, I'm back from the frozen North......and starting to think about all things Mothy.

Ian.......thanks for the info.....I had sussed out her name and original owner too from an old yearbook (you can guarantee the thing you're looking for will be in the wxyz end when searching alphabetically!) but didn't know who might have built her.
It will be interesting to see how she sails down the bottom end of the harbour where the wind is stronger and the waves a bit longer usually........my last one was mostly sailed at the top end of the harbour.......very quick to plane in flat water.
With regards to the "spares".....wings masts etc......I am seriously thinking of having a go at designing/building an old rules hull......whether it will happen I'm not sure, but I should have more time this year, so you never know .....and may actually get to some events too.....so I may be able to collect any useful extra bits on my travels......Hunts is on my hopeful list......and agree about avoiding all this crash and burn stuff Nessa!

Next job is to get her on slings in the roof as I unexpectedly need Fi-Fi next week, and hope to sort out the centreboard arrangement as we move her.....think I have that sussed now too, ...thanks one and all.

The one thing I have done is apply for club membership.... a big step for me, being something of a lone wolf......and I have asked re the handicap situation, so we'll see what happens.

Will update as things progress :)
Sami.
davidh

Post by davidh »

Sami

(and Lyndon, Ian, Alan and the growing band of Mothists) - but given the boat, mainly Sami

I have just dug out an interview with Cliff Burton, who had just played a starring role at the Hayling Moth Worlds in his tunnel scow, some pictures and details, plus him talking about his being able to average 15kts on the downwind legs.

I'll scan it and put it up on here, but I do envy those that still fit into their Moths!

BR

D
David H
solentgal

Post by solentgal »

Thanks David, that would be interesting :)..........Whether I'll fit in (or on really, with a Scow) remains to be seen.... I have never felt so unfit and inflexible at this time of year before, so some serious limbering up needed before attempting to sail this year!
Sami.
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi Sami
I'm sure that you will fit in with the CVRDA and the moth group we are all just ordinary people. We meet to play around and race the boats of yesteryear and to have a social occasion. You would be very welcome at any event.
Regards Alan
solentgal

Post by solentgal »

Thanks Alan,......I have intended turning up several times over the past few years......"0/10 must try harder"..........maybe this year it will happen :)
Sami.
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Hi Sami,

Browsing ...and found this. Thought the pictures might interest you...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/boatmik/s ... 4819711223

Oh,... and a look back to a previous thread on the forum.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=3215&start=195

In the "Early Moth Info" (about page 19(!!) of what must e the longest ever CVRDA thread, there is a link ( or series of links) to a huge archive of old moth designs. (though I'd be surprised if you haven't found this already!

Michael
Michael Brigg
solentgal

Post by solentgal »

Hi Michael..........yes, I think my original question that started that extra long thread really started something.... I suppose other Mothies out there found the thread on Google, and were rather aptly drawn to the flame! :)

Thanks for the links.....yes, I had found those archives.....very interesting........and the scow pics on flickr are really good, many thanks.

I'm currently doodling around an idea I had many years ago for a simply built scow hull......just to make use of all my spares :)
Sami.
ent228

Post by ent228 »

In the pictures of the moulded scow moth from the link above; the picture with it rigged shows a lever to operate the outhaul.....is this correct? If so, good thing my head would be well out of the way!
solentgal

Post by solentgal »

Yes.....looks a bit dangerous doesn't it.......interesting idea though.
Sami.
JimC

Post by JimC »

A Highfield for the outfall makes a fair bit of sense because you put the lever on and then adjust the control line for the upwind setting, and all you need to do is flick it off for downwind and on again for the next beat. Instant and repeatable setting.
Woods Designs

Post by Woods Designs »

My first post, and just for the record

I was the Moth owner from Coventry in 1971/72 named JR Woods. However somehow the original member listing was wrong (I do recall complaining at the time) so although I did own an Imperium scow that wasn't until 76/77. In 71/72 I had a home built Mistral (3153). That was followed by a Chelsea Morning (3333) and then the third Magnum II built (I was working for John Claridge at the time). My last Moth was the Imperium. John converted it from a centreboard boat to daggerboard. I was one of the few to win prizes at inland events in a scow

Since then I have moved on, a biography here

http://sailingcatamarans.com/index.php/biography

My latest design is this one, not a classic yet!

http://sailingcatamarans.com/index.php/ ... t-trimaran

while my 14ft Stealth was very Chelsea Morning inspired

Richard Woods of Woods Designs

http://www.sailingcatamarans.com and http://www.small-boat-designs.com
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

We come to the cvrda Richard!

Last thing I heard you were off on a very extended cruise, working from your catamaran. Or was that an internet rumour?!
Rupert
solentgal

Post by solentgal »

Thank you Richard, only just seen this.......very interesting...........but I'm mystified: The scanned copy of the 1973 yearbook that I have here shows you as owning at that time number K3134 which appears to be the scow that I now have.......but if you didn't own it until later in the '70s, how is this possible? Or did you carry a number forward with you? Can't quite work it out :? .....just curious, as I have a bit of a thing about numbers :)
You would have been sailing her around the time I was sailing a Mistral, and shortly before I owned my first scow :)

Interesting that she has been converted to dagger-board.....this explains the removed fittings at the top of the slot.......I wondered about just dropping the plate in, although I prefer some sort of pivoting arrangement.... haven't had a chance to experiment yet.....soon will though.

Just to add an update re handicaps..............We went to Mengeham Rythe SC last night to meet regarding joining, and all went well, and we should have club access in a couple of weeks :) . Handicaps were mentioned re the Moth, and I will have to discuss this with the sailing secretary at some point.

In the meantime I was looking at the 2014 tables and tried to remember how my first scow (essentially the same) sailed compared to other single handers I have sailed. I came to the conclusion that 1200 would be a bit generous, as that would put it as similar to a Comet (not that I've sailed one, but I am sure my Moth would be quicker, having watched Comets sailing) and thought back to my (scruffy) Solo and my decent Europe (alloy rig) and I think the Moth would fit in around there better, at around 1150 as a starting point.
Anyway I should get the chance to sort it out in the next month or so at last :)
Sami.
Woods Designs

Post by Woods Designs »

I never go to the bottom of the yearbook error either. It is feasible that there were two JR Woods' Moth sailing back then. I also had an Enterprise, number 9626, a college friend was Richard Wood who owned 9625 which certainly would have confused many secretaries.

Yes Rupert you are right, I did go cruising in my catamaran in 2002. From then until 2012 I spent every Christmas on board a boat, in 8 different countries. Christmas Day 2014 was spent dinghy sailing in Mexico, while I am writing this on our power catamaran in Port Townsend, Wa, pretty much the most NW corner of the USA

Very little dinghy sailing in N America, and all in generally strange looking boats that don't sail that well. Nothing like what we see in the UK. There is another ex-pat Englishman here though Leader and I14 restorer, I'm sure he's a member of this list.

The one thing I miss about my lifestyle over the last 12 years or so is the dinghy racing scene.

Richard Woods
davidh

Post by davidh »

Richard,

ah...you are referring to Michael Scott and yes, he is well known on here (are you in touch with him at all?). Also in your part of the world you've got Jack Holt's daughter, who still have a goodly feel for the life and times of her father!

I was interested to read your comments re the US dinghy scene - there seems to be some strong 'pockets' of activity on both the East and West Coasts, though given the size and potential there it is a 'slumbering giant'. Where are the Dave Ullmans and the Steve Benjamins for the 'new era'?. I'm sure that they are out there somewhere.

Certainly the East Coast has a number of classic dinghy clusters - I'm a regular visitor to the East Coast and am looking forward to visiting some of them shortly!

In the meantime - will you be back in the UK anytime soon? Would love to catch up

Cheers

Dougal
David H