what's the draft of a Pegasus? (New poster)

General chat about boats
tomslade

what's the draft of a Pegasus? (New poster)

Post by tomslade »

Hi this is my first post.
I am seriously considering buying a Pegasus which is for sale in my local area, as a classic boat newbie, i have dozens of questions, however as this is my first post I'll only ask the most pressing one. I have just discovered that The lake on which I intend to do most of my sailing is only 4-5 ft deep, is this too shallow for a Pegasus?
Many thanks in advance
Rupert

Re: what's the draft of a Pegasus? (New poster)

Post by Rupert »

5 feet would be fine, 4 feet pushing it. What else sails on the lake? If there are Albacores or boats of that sort of size, you'll be OK - unless they spend all their time grounded, of course...
Rupert
tomslade

Post by tomslade »

Thanks for your response, not had a chance to nose around there boat park yet. The membership sec said they mainly have single handers because of the depth issue, but there are a few wanderers which I imagine are similar in size to a Pegasus
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

The centreboard on a Wanderer might be lower aspect - not sure.
Rupert
Spiderman

Post by Spiderman »

Hi Tom and welcome to the CVRDA forum,

According to A R Burrett's "Dinghy Recognition" the Pegasus has a draft of 4'3" or 1300mm. This sounds about right as the last Pegasus centreboard I measured was 1250mm from the pivot bolt to the tip. As Rupert has already pointed out, you will be alright if 5' is as shallow as it gets otherwise you will be at risk of hitting the bottom. You could always consider making a slightly shorter centreboard which would still allow you to get the board fully down without the risk of grounding. Being able to get the board right down will help maintain a good balance for upwind work without too much of a loss in performance. The original full length board can always be refitted should you want sail the boat somewhere with a bit more depth. The Graduate fleet at Halifax sailing club all had short centreboards for exactly the same reason and avoided lots of work repairing damaged centreboard tip and strained plate cases. The Pegasus board is quite long compared to those on other classes of a similar size e.g. a scorpion centreboard is approximately 200mm shorter so depending how much shorter than normal it needs to be to avoid gravel rash then a cut down board may be the answer?
Anyway I hope that this might help you decide as it would be great to have another Pegasus back in circulation; they are becoming increasingly rare so it is always nice to hear of another one that may be saved. What number is the one you are looking at and is it wood, composite or all GRP?
Good luck and I hope that you get it.

Regards

Ian M
trebor

Post by trebor »

The weeds must be a nightmare, our pool averages 9 feet to a maximum of 16 feet, but you can still find odd spots to run aground, usually with hilarious results, I was crewing a Cherub on a blast across the pool, when it ran aground throwing us both on to deck.
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
http://www.aquabatdinghy.co.uk
tomslade

Post by tomslade »

Thanks for the advice, I might re enforce the leading edge with a bit of epoxy,.

Owner accepted my offer this evening, am collecting it at the weekend!

First problem is how to rig the thing. Present owner never actually sailed it so will be having fun trying to work out how it ask goes back together.
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

I happen to have an old set of Pegasus sails that I need to get rid off as they are taking up self space.. If you bring the boat to a CVRDA event the sails are yours if you want them. Think I may still have the Pegasus lines plan and sail plan diagram, will dig though the archive over the weekend.
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
keithr

Post by keithr »

Hi Tom

Glad to hear another Peggie joining our band.

I personally would not shorten the board, you need all you can get underneath when beating in anything above a low F3 unless you have a gorilla out on the trapeze!!!!.

She will go better with a Fireball or similar rudder too as much narrower and deeper than the original rounded model.

Out of interest what number is you Peggie and is she wood/glass or composite?

Keith
Two Peggies 199,100,
Flying fifteen 1855,
Flying fifteen 204 (now in the barn)
Sunbird
tomslade

Post by tomslade »

She's called Citrine sail no 48

Thanks for the offer Neil, will let you know a when I have tested the current cloth.

tomorrow I will attempt to rig her, no doubt i Will have many questions. I'll take some pics to show everyone what I have and hopefully some one here can point out if there are any glaring anomalies !

Thanks for all the advice I'm sure I'll be posting quite a lot.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Now that is a well known boat on here! Won the Classic wing at Roadford in 2000 and 2003.
Rupert
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

If it's Citrine you won't need my old sails, seem to remember it was a very sorted and quick boat.
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
keithr

Post by keithr »

We had many a battle with Andy back in the early days with Citrine.

She was well sorted back then.

Where in the country are you?
Two Peggies 199,100,
Flying fifteen 1855,
Flying fifteen 204 (now in the barn)
Sunbird
tomslade

Post by tomslade »

I'm in west Sussex, and will be keeping her a Crawley Mariners Yacht Club
I have a young family so it might be a hard finding time to use her regularly, I doubt I'll be traveling about in the short term, although the Bosham event dose sound tempting

As for the sails, I like the idea of haveing a second set of reduced size for when I sail single handed
tomslade

Post by tomslade »

Wow what a day! Took possession of Citrene, the former owner and I tried to rig her with niether of us having much off a clue.
I now have a zillion questions. I was planning to take a few pic to show you guys but the wind picked up and we had take the sails down quickly
On the plus side we raised the mast and put two sails up but thatwas about it.
More to follow when I get to my lap top......