Question about Classic Finns...

General chat about boats
Bootscooter
Location: Oxfordshire or Lincolnshire (depending on if I can get a weekend off)

Question about Classic Finns...

Post by Bootscooter »

Hi all,
I may have found a classic Finn with a bit of history behind it, but am not sure what to do if I end up buying it...

I've just got my son a proper Gucci 2002 Devoti, and would like to at least give him a bit of a race, so should I keep this boat "fully classic" or convert to the new "Classic with Carbon" status that's racing at this year's Nationals?

I remember hearing that older boats can be reasonably competitive (to a point) with a modern rig fitted due to the peculiarities of it's flexible hull - is there any truth to this?

Cheers, Jon
alan williams

Re: Question about Classic Finns...

Post by alan williams »

Hi
It's possible to do both as the only difference between CVRDA Classic Finns is that they use a Ali or wood mast with a Dacron Sail. My Vanguard has two rigs so could sail in both types of events. I could also in theory transfer the rig off my Pata to the Vanguard. I would say that on a lake there's not much difference between a classic boat or a modern one. However at sea the newer boats walk away from the older ones.
It also depends on the sort of event you are looking for BFA events seem to be full on, CVRDA events are more relaxed, we try to use local courses rather than wind ward lee ward or Olympic triangles. Hope this helps would be good to see you at a CVRDA events .
Regards Alan (Big Al)
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

It's a good time to be thinking about joining the Finns as the Classics with Carbon fleet have been having a lot of fun recently joing in the BFA events and proving to be very competitive. As Alan says you can do both but it's worth modifying the deck ring if using a carbon mast as these need to be moved further forward to get the balance right. Like Alan I'm not a great fan of w/l courses but I much prefer sailing on the sea, so I do prefer the BFA events for that reason.
We've recently seen updated Faireys from the 1950s well up the BFA fleet with carbon rigs, with an alloy rig they can still get in amongst the back of the modern fleet, but the differences are more marked on the sea than inland. Wooden Taylors, Vanguards and other later classic boats make the differences even smaller. Don't expect to win an event with an older Finn but with an updated classic you'll definately not be out of the back completely. Another adavntage of the Classics with Carbon fleet is that it's now easier to get reasonably priced Carbon masts and good mylar sails than it is to find good alloy masts, and even more difficult to find a good dacron sail. The basic sailing techniques are the same, but the rig set up is very different with an alloy mast so modern tuning guides cannot be used with an older rig.

You're welcome to contact me if you need any more information or advice
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
Bootscooter

Post by Bootscooter »

Well I had a quick look at her today and she needs a bit of work.
She has a very rudimentary mast foot adjustment system and there's purely a hole at deck level with no adjustment. I'm sure that with some fairly substantial surgery I could get a more modern rig to work, but if this boat has the history I'm told it has I think it would be rude to do anything but restore as a proper classic.
At this moment I'm not even sure what manufacturer it's from as I couldn't see a plaque. All GRP with moulded-in side and aft tanks (didn't take any pics - doh!).
Bootscooter

Post by Bootscooter »

Here's a couple of pics... can anyone identify the builder?

Obscured by clouds

Post by Obscured by clouds »

interesting. worth putting up on the classic finn forum?
Tony

MR 2404 Julia Dream
N18 276 Sibrwd [ongoing project]
Hirondelle catamaran Kalipse
[down to 3!]
ent228

Post by ent228 »

Its got the same bow handle, rubbing band, center plate wood capping and thwart as my ancient Pearson had. However the view looking forward from the cockpit into the bow does not look Pearsonish.
Bootscooter

Post by Bootscooter »

The sail number I'm told it has is K122, which according to the register has it as a 1962 Pearson, called Timpana, but if so, this doesn't fit with the rest of the word-of-mouth history I've been told...
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

If you're not a member of http://classicfinn.org.uk/forum/ it might be worth joining and posting over there as well
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Just don't know how I can like the way a class looks so much...like the boats, like the history, like the ethos...etc etc... even this knackered old plastic boat looks just fine to me...

and yet, just not get on with sailing them at all.

Before any Finn-head get upset, this is by no means a criticism of the boat, entirely one of myself and my sailing ability, just can't get my head around them at all.

eib

ps. I think it is an early Pearson.

pps. don't know why, have no evidence, just completely unsubstantiated opinion....or a hunch :-)
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Obscured by clouds

Post by Obscured by clouds »

hmmm...... My first experience of a Finn was only last summer, after nearly 50 years of sailing. Somehow, sailing it just felt right, it took no time at all to feeling like I'd sailed one for years.

Then I found myself sailing downwind in a bit of a blow and lucky to keep it upright. More practice needed, but to be fair I had similar experiences in the Merlin.

All in all, though sailing a Finn [albeit rather conservately] felt like something I'd been doing for years
Tony

MR 2404 Julia Dream
N18 276 Sibrwd [ongoing project]
Hirondelle catamaran Kalipse
[down to 3!]
Bootscooter

Post by Bootscooter »

That's exactly how I felt last weekend out in my son's Devoti for the 1st time - everything just felt right. The only times I've felt that before was sailing the D-One (that I've had to sell to get the Finn for my boy), and the Alto at SailFest '13 in 25kts at Weymouth. Loved it. 8)
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

Looks like an early Pearson to me too. I don't know what you've been told about the boat that there are many wild claims about. Many people claim that because the mast has the Olympic Rings on it that the boat had been used at the Olympics.
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
Bootscooter

Post by Bootscooter »

So that would all fit with it being K122, 1962 Pearson then. Yes... the story told is that it was the Olympic boat from 1976...... hence it not all fitting together in my mind.
I've got to get myself sorted with a more modern, immediately race-able Finn first, then I'll get this in the workshops and start on a restoration. I looked up the cost of adjustable deck and foot fittings and they'll cost the best part of £450, so I may have to go for a straight resto rather than subtle modernisation - can't justify that sort of spend at the moment!
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

I think Ed still has the mould for the "Roadford" Deck plate, wedges can be made from nylon chopping board. Will need deck ring though.
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith