Covers for wooden boats

General chat about boats
nickbw

Re: Covers for wooden boats

Post by nickbw »

If you have to store out doors during the winter then the best way is to use a tarpaulin in addition to the boat cover. have a tarp that is longer than the boat by several meters and lace it with a polypropylene rope fairly loosely allowing a fold at the bows and leaving open at the stern. Fit the cover on top as usual. I have stored a '50s Enterprise and a similar age GP14 this way and never had any problems with rain penetration or ice formation doing damage. Storing in a barn is all very well but hulls etc can dry out too much and joints shrink and open up. Boats are made to get wet just not stay wet!
SoggyBadger

Post by SoggyBadger »

My technique for winter storage is boat cover followed by layers of shed roofing felt and finally a poly-tarp. I feel it's votal that the boat should be nice and dry before being laid up. I think it's moisture contact with the deck that causes the damage rather than the cold itself. I ought to add that my cover is one of those pvc coated towing covers so it doesn't absorb moisture itself would could then contact the deck. It was just fate that the winter I owned the boat turned out to be the coldest for a generation. But she came through it unscathed :)
Best wishes

SB
jules22

Post by jules22 »

+1 for sail register. They have just made a cover for Flo's concept 302, very pleased with the cover and a good price too.

I would definitely use them again.