the Torch class sailing dinghy - anyone sailed one?

General chat about boats
Andyb

the Torch class sailing dinghy - anyone sailed one?

Post by Andyb »

I have just bought an old Torch class sailing dinghy with a view to use her for dinghy cruising , sleeping aboard if possible. I havn't sailed her yet as I am sorting out the launching trolly. I would very much like to learn how others have found this class of boat from a point of view of stability and manoverability.I am attracted by the spaciousness of its interior. The internet doesn't produce much, mostly some row between the boats designer and the laser class dinghy which i dont really understand .Any information about characteristics of the Torch will be welcomed - particularly with regard to stability than to speed as I shall only be cruising and birdwatching/photographing-single handed. :)
JimC

Re: the Torch class sailing dinghy - anyone sailed one?

Post by JimC »

Not one of my favorites. Long time ago now, but as I vaguely recall they were stable.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Andy, the Laser/Torch thing isn't anything to do with the old Torch. It was designed as a teaching boat. Old memories suggest a link to the Scouts, but that might be a fried brain talking.
Rupert
davidh

Post by davidh »

Rupert....no fried brain (at least not this time...hohoho) as you are spot on, the Torch was indeed one of the 'supported' dinghies by the Sea Scouts. As far as I can recall they had a double chine, but were not the beamiest of boats. Going downwind in any breeze was good practice for some hairier boats that would come along in later life - think of that Enterprise roll, but with a sharper rate of gyration.

I doubt if this would worry Andy B as he is unlikely to be quite so gung ho as a teenage helm who really wanted to show that he could do these things.....

Originally wood, then GRP (made down South Coast way if I recall) - construction was pretty bullet proof

D
David H
dronskiuk

Post by dronskiuk »

The Coypu, I recall, was the weapon of choice for the Scouts....certainly I sailed in them at the 'Championship' at Kingston and again at Hythe.

The Torch I remember being at various sailing schools - Tudor S.C. for one and I remember sailing them in a team race up in North Wales. My recollection is that they seemed a little light on sail area which would make it a comfortable cruising option. I seem to remember they were on a similar PY to the Heron, Mirror and 11+ but there are gurus on here who can dispel or verify this. There was one that raced occasionally in the 'slow handicap' at HRSC until the Mirrors got a class start in the mid sixties but again, Davidh would recall better.
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

The Torch was designed by Bert Keeble and was originally intended not for Scouts but to be built in woodwork classes at school. I think it originated in Essex because there used to be class sailing for them at the Essex schools regattas. Original boats were built of plywood and had wooden spars with a Gunter rig. Later versions were built in grp, had alloy spars and a Bermuda rig. They were staid, not exciting and would make an excellent cruiser in my opinion.
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
JimC

Post by JimC »

I have a vague memory that the Torch on the sail had some relationship to London County Council Education, but it was a long time ago.

The PY varied a bit but was equivalent to lowish 1300s in modern terms, between the Eleven Plus and the Mirror. As it was a couple of feet longer than either we can assume that lively performance was not the designers prime aim.