buoyancy aids again

General chat about boats
Obscured by clouds

buoyancy aids again

Post by Obscured by clouds »

Having capsized the Harrier on my first go-out I found my canoeing waiscoat style b/a , even though it was done up correctly, rode up so far that I ended up taking the damned thing off in the water so I could get into the RIB that came to fetch me.

Can anyone suggest a good inexpensive b/a that will fit snuggly but not restrict movement for those days when I really should wear one ;)

Those who have met me will know I'm fairly rotund [ahem] so naturally am quite bouyant :) but I really need something that will fit and not get in the way. Oh and it needs to be inexpensive - the car died the otherd ay and I've splashed out on a new[er] one.
Tony

MR 2404 Julia Dream
N18 276 Sibrwd [ongoing project]
Hirondelle catamaran Kalipse
[down to 3!]
tomslade

Re: buoyancy aids again

Post by tomslade »

Have you tried one with a crotch strap?
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Can't say I can....

Never found a buoyancy aid that really worked like I felt it should...

No, that is a lie, I find that a decent steamer wetsuit gives more useful and safe buoyancy than anything I have ever strapped onto myself, which invariably just get in the way and are more of an encumbrance than a genuine help. Plus of course, it keeps you warm and able to look after yourself, when you have fallen in, rather than gasping for breath, blinded by the B-aid that has floated up and wrapped itself around your face.

But, hey, that is just my thoughts.

FWIW, I would always wear a lifejacket when appropriate, a buoyancy aid when required, and a wetsuit when necessary.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Obscured by clouds

Post by Obscured by clouds »

Ed, I could'nt agree more............. but since we seem to have entered an era of limited risk taking it behoves us to 'set an appropriate example', even though I believe that it's another example of sticking plaster safety.
Tony

MR 2404 Julia Dream
N18 276 Sibrwd [ongoing project]
Hirondelle catamaran Kalipse
[down to 3!]
mph1977

Post by mph1977 »

be careful what you wish for as the 50 N standard could fall foul of any future push for more safety ...

it;s a case of trying the different ones on the market on at least in the dry until you find one that suits you build and habitus
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

HI Tony
I brought the biggest size that Neil Pride do in their side zipped BA Squeeze to get in but does ride up.
See you at Roadford next week .
Alan