Should I buy this Phantom?

General chat about boats
hall_g

Should I buy this Phantom?

Post by hall_g »

I'm thinking of buying this classic Phantom, :

http://sailingdinghies.apolloduck.com/d ... aid=417332

Does anyone have experience of this boat, or a boat like this, and do you think it would be a fun sail at CVRDA events? If I did buy it, do you reckon I could safely use International varnish straight over the sealing coat which it currently has?

Any thoughts gratefully received!

Best Regards,

Gavin
Rupert

Re: Should I buy this Phantom?

Post by Rupert »

Sadly I can't get the ad to load to see it.

Phantoms are fun boats, but don't actually qualify for the cvrda, having been designed in the 70s.
Rupert
hall_g

Post by hall_g »

Ah - thank you Rupert - a small but crucially important piece of information, as I think it would have litte chance against modern Phantoms! Thanks once again, Best Regards, Gavin
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

It is odd to see a very old phantom hull (flat decks hulls were soon replaced with much more comfortable and stiffer mitered decks) but with an upgraded rig (lowers). There is no chance it would compete with modern FRP phantoms with adjustable rake rigs etc. but as Rupert says, our rules say not allowed..

Along with old contenders - again, designed too late - and no doubt some other classes, there is a bit of a gap in the market for competition for the owners of old, non updated boats.

I suspect in the Phantom's case that gap is perhaps best filled by clubs varying local handicaps for obviously out-performed older boats in handicap fleet racing. The phantom is a great boat to sail. These older ones, you really do need to be tall and strong to keep them going in a blow. But in light winds, they are an absolute handicap bandit.

Much depends on what kind of sailing interests you!
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

There is certainly some sort of market for racing for boats designed between 65 and 75. Phantom, Contender, Streaker, Miracle spring to mind.
Rupert
azimuth

Post by azimuth »

There's alway the finn if you want a cvrda-able big boy's boat!
Keith.

Finn K60 'Sfinnx' Fairey
Zenith 74 'Azimuth' (rescued from the undergrowth 20yrs ago)
Zenith 61 'Bali Hai'... A family heirloom...