Question for the low rider Mothists.

General chat about boats
TimD

Question for the low rider Mothists.

Post by TimD »

Hi guys, I've recently acquired a pair of Minisprints one being a Mk1. Early days yet but thoughts are to redeck this boat (giving me an opportunity to properly refurb the hull) and fit with Moth style Ali tube/tramps wings.

What diameter and gauge Ali tubing do you use? Any idea of minimum radius it can be successfully bent to and finally....how do you get back on board after a capsize?
bornagainmothie

Re: Question for the low rider Mothists.

Post by bornagainmothie »

TimD,
sorry for missing this post, it must have moved down the list quickly.

I have played around with various tubes for Moth wings and come to the conclusion that it really depends on what you have available and how it can be constructed eg do you have the capability to bend it or weld it?

Most 70's and 80's moths, such as Magnums had tubing of about 1.5" x 16swg with corner bends of around 5" radius. Many of these, although starting out as one tube, have often been sleeved inside and/or outside around the stress points, particularly the front bars where full hiking power is used. The problem is usually down to bending over a sharp point at the gunwale which collapses the side wall of the tube. Obviously a snug fitting shaped support at the gunwale will allow more load to be applied before the tube fails.

Later, narrow moths and the foilers (although often using carbon tubes) used a welded frame to distribute the hiking loads and rig loads through the same assembly. By creating an upper wing bar linked to the mast support tube and outer end of the lower bar it was possible to use smaller diameter 1" - 1.25" and thinner walled tube.
Then, there's the comfort factor - why hike out on a long beat on a 1.5" tube when you could have a comfortable 3" tube instead? There are many variations on this theme, using boom sections, bits of old Laser mast etc, some of which are pretty ugly depending how well the corners have been made, and I think that is the key to the design solution.

Righting from capsize, I usually climb around the front wing bar as the boat comes up. Going over the top is risky in a moth because a) you dont quite make it and end up in the water, having to do a water start or b) fall back onto the hull and end up wearing it! These problems may not occur on a more sensible hull, perhaps other Minisprinters could suggest techniques?

Hope this helps

Lyndon
TimD

Re: Question for the low rider Mothists.

Post by TimD »

Thanks for the help Lyndon. Given me some ideas.