Dinghy mast raising

General chat about boats
dan214

Dinghy mast raising

Post by dan214 »

Hi, Does anyone know of any videos showing the best way to raise a dinghy mast? specifically an Enterprise?

Also, Im considering going sailing alone on a reservoir and I had a go at raising the mast single handed today and failed badly :( is this even possible?

Thanks, Dan.
sam mason

Re: Dinghy mast raising

Post by sam mason »

Attach a long line (bit of string) to the forestay. Lay the mast along the boat with the heel next to the mast step and the masthead over the back of the boat. Attach the shrouds to the chain plates and thread the long bit of string through the bow fitting and lead it back to the mast step via the jib fairlead. Get into the boat and lift the mast into position ie heel in the mast step and mast upright. Push the mast forward , the shrouds will prevent it going too far or sideways. With the mast held against the shrouds pull the long bit of string and jamb it in the jib jamber. Get out of the boat and make the forestay fast in the usual way. Remove the long bit of string and off you go. Its easier than it sounds. If its windy the boat MUST be head to wind.
Hope this helps
Sam
dan214

Post by dan214 »

Thank you Sam! I tried something along those lines but for some reason i did not think of actually getting into the boat to lift the mast!

I will give this way a try tomorrow.

ATB,
Dan.
roger

Post by roger »

Be sure if you are getting into the boat that the trailer supports are wide enough as your weight will be on those few points.

An old boatman told me off when I was a boy for getting into my boat on its trailer. "Never get in a boat on land my boy you do more damage like that than on the water"

I try to use a low trolly and lift the mast upright and drop it into the boat and into the gate. Not so easy with a deck stepped mast I know so make sure your boat is well supported.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
JimC

Post by JimC »

I don't think |I'd like to climb in a clinker or ribbed boat, but enough people seem to get away with it with ply and frame boats.
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Would never stand on the hull in a dinghy on land. I don't think it is a good practice. Maybe OK on a Waf, but nothing smaller really.

I see people do it, and it always worries me. Occasionally I know you have to get in a dinghy, but would always put my weight on the thwart or if I have to be on hull then either sit or be on all fours.

It is not only bad for the boat, but can also be dodgy if you put your weight too far back and over balance the boat.

As for how to put mast up.....really depends on the boat, there is normally a knack and quite a few methods you can try.

For keel stepped boats, I tend to get the boat low (trolley rather than trailer) or even ground if it is windy, then just pick the mast up and put the mast bottom straight into the mast-step and then tie off the forestay loose enough to get the stays in. It's a knack, but I reckon quite doable. I normally put my Jollyboat needlespar mast up like this and it must weigh twice what an ent mast weighs.

With a deckstepped mast, I either attach both stays and lift it into place, with someone guiding by holding the forestay, or if by myself, attach forestay and one side stay, then rock boat towards you, using gravity to hold mast in place, just lift the mast foot into place in step, adjust length of forestay to allow you to attach side-stay, tighten forestay and bring back to vertical.

All depends on the boat, rig, trolley, weight of mast etc etc.

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
sam mason

Post by sam mason »

I wouldn't normally recommend standing in the boat on land but needs must when the devil drives. The enterprise is peculiar in its lack of support for the mast and the method I suggested certainly works ( for me at least) when on my own. 2 people make it a doddle but that wasn't the question.
Sam
SoggyBadger

Post by SoggyBadger »

Put the boat tail to wind, attach both shrouds and it'll be a piece of cake.
Best wishes

SB
dan214

Post by dan214 »

Thanks guys,

I also do not like getting into a dinghy on land but cannot think of any other way to raise the mast alone unless i was to make a large A-frame or had a tall wall, building etc. to rest the mast on and i dont like the idea of rocking the boat on its side neither.

Anyway i successfully raised the mast alone yesterday without any troubles doing it the way sam said, was very cautious whilst walking around in the boat on its trailer and everything seemed sturdy enough so thank you sam :)

ATB,
Dan.
dan214

Post by dan214 »

Can somebody also explain to me the best way to raise a mast with 2 people please? I cannot seem to find much info on the web about raising the mast of a sailing dinghy.

Thanks for all your help,
Dan.
JimC

Post by JimC »

It does depend on the boat. Deck stepped masts are generally a bit trickier than keel stepped masts. Usually its best to link up either both shrouds or one shroud and the forestay, and have one person pick the mast up and the other guide it in position. Its also good if the person doing the guiding also has hold of a cleated off halyard so as soon as the mast is stepped they can pull it taught to act instead of the not yet attached stay.
roger

Post by roger »

My way which may not suit other people.

I like to get the mast upright next to the boat. Deck stepped Jim sums it up nicely. Hog stepped I like to do all the lifting of the vertical mast. I find with two people you are often pulling in oppostie directions on getting in each others way. I like the second person to hold stray bits of rope out of the way and free anything that snags. There is noting worse than getting almost there and a stray rope or wire snag a cleat and then it can all go wrong very quickly.

I am lucky enough to be fairly strong although as I get older I may want more help.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Ed wrote:Would never stand on the hull in a dinghy on land. I don't think it is a good practice. Maybe OK on a Waf, but nothing smaller really.

I see people do it, and it always worries me. Occasionally I know you have to get in a dinghy, but would always put my weight on the thwart or if I have to be on hull then either sit or be on all fours.

It is not only bad for the boat, but can also be dodgy if you put your weight too far back and over balance the boat.

As for how to put mast up.....really depends on the boat, there is normally a knack and quite a few methods you can try....

eib
WP_20150209_0023.jpg
(77.71 KiB) Not downloaded yet
How the navy do it. But then again, they never did treat their boats very nicely!
Michael Brigg