Hi... Newbie from Kent

General chat about boats
Gregster

Hi... Newbie from Kent

Post by Gregster »

I have a couple of wineglass sailing dinghys, which I will put back together and refreshen up when I get a chance.

Just wondered if anyone sails these still, or has done in the past, that could share their experiences.
I havent sailed in years, well probably 30 years excluding crewing my mates yacht once or twice, but sailed toppers lasers and wayfarers when I was at school.
These two wineglasses came up cheap, a couple of months apart locally, and I thought it would be fun as I live right next to the beach, but I know very little about them, and cant find much info on line about them.
I got two as a couple of my mates are interested, same used to sail when they were kids, and I figured that I would be more fun to have two sooner than just the one, remembering when one of my mates had a crosser when I was a kid, and we all had to wait to have a go.
Going to test them first in an inland lake near me, that has a small watersports centre and rescue boat, and water that I could probably stand up in, to get the feel for it again....and to check that 30yrs on, and a fair few pounds heavier, that I can still get back in it should it do the inevitable and I end up in the drink.
My dad has a small rib that he will bring down, if we later venture into the big wet wobbly thing....where I cant put my feet down...

So what are they like, are they "user friendly" for a novice really?
Am I going to be able to sail this without capsizing every five minutes, as the idea of this is a hobby to GET fit, and I aint very fit at the moment?
I know a lot depends on the wind, and I am not going to try it in a force 6 to start out, but at 19 stone ish, am I going to capsize just by being in it?

Sorry for the mass of questions...I just like the idea of getting these done and having some fun next spring, but dont want to waste my time if these are super unstable ancient racers that fall over all the time with a pro at the helm, let alone an amateur...

Thanks
trebor

Re: Hi... Newbie from Kent

Post by trebor »

Hi Gregster,
Welcome to cvrda.
Have you tried a search on here, I am sure I have read a few posts over the years regarding Wine glass dinghies.
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
http://www.aquabatdinghy.co.uk
Gregster

Post by Gregster »

I have had a look, but wanted to really get some feedback from those who remember sailing them and any pointers.
Godfrey

Post by Godfrey »

They have gradually tailed off at our club which was virtually the last Wineglass stronghold. At Fishers Green we still have several sailing regularly but no new blood interested in sailing them. We will be holding the Wineglass Southerns on 11th October, hoping to get any visitors from Swarkstone SC, which is the only other active group.
They are a pretty docile boat, and spacious, hence they still appeal to our elderly members.
We have one which has been donated to the club and is now for sale. (space needed)
Godfrey