Nice magnetic Compass.

General chat about boats
Michael Brigg

Nice magnetic Compass.

Post by Michael Brigg »

Nice period compass here. I have noted these don't come up too often

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-1972- ... 308wt_1162

I feel a properly fitted (as opposed to mast mounted) magnetic compass sets a classic boat off nicely. Should there be a handicap be placed on boats that use a Tac Tic or other electronic system with lift and header warnings? (for CVRDA events)

This one is nice and compact with a shallow base so you can mount it on a 1/2inch plinth. It is then easily detatched and doesnt leave a foot print on the boat like some of the bigger "globe" style compasses. I would buy it myself but I already have two old stlyle Suunto's.
Michael Brigg
Ed
Site Admin

Re: Nice magnetic Compass.

Post by Ed »

'magnetic' compass?

Is there any other kind?

:twisted:

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

Ed wrote:'magnetic' compass?

Is there any other kind?

:twisted:

eib
Well, there's also fluxgate and gyro compasses. The fluxgate does contain magnetic material, the gyro doesn't. Both would be a little extreme for the CVRDA, though I'm sure we have some vintage gyro compasses kicking around at work somewhere.
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
Stephen Hawkins

Post by Stephen Hawkins »

Pull up a sandbag and I'll tell you a story.........When I was a Flight Systems technician in the RAF, part of my trade was to maintain the Gyro compasses in aircraft. If you want a vintage one, expect it to weigh the same as a small child...Even one fitted to fairly modern aircraft (the RAF did not have many of those at the time), they would still weigh a significant amount....

I have a sunto dinghy compass, which I bought at a swap meet more than 10 years ago - being a 'bling collector', which was as new in its box....And its still in its box. Cant get lost on most lakes unless its really foggy.

Still - its a bit to modern to fit to most of my boats. And I am not sure I am willing to swing it.

Steve
Steve Hawkins

1967 National 12 2383 "Sparkle"
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

I generally rely on the moss that is growing on my boat being to the North
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Well of course, I am more than happy to be corrected, so please excuse me ignorance....

I was under the mistaken impression that all compasses, whether fluxgate or gyro pointed towards 'magnetic' north and used the worlds magnet fields to do so, thereby using magnetism to point towards magnetic north......or am I being hopelessly simpleminded?

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I've also always assumed that magnetism is involved in some way or other, but then I've always known I'm hopelessly simple minded. Why else would I be a classic boat sailor?
Rupert
davidh

Post by davidh »

Certainly at the small venues, the muddy puddles such as Shearwater and even WhiteFriars, the chances are that having your head out of the boat and looking where you are going is the best bet. But, move up a size, Blithfield, the old British Steel place, Staunton Harold and bigger and a compass CAN be a help. Sometimes just to confirm suspicions that there's been a minor shift. It can also be a useful check on what you're doing - if there hasn't been a shift but your course has changed from lap to lap, have you missed something? Rig tension on? Lowers tightened? It is all too easy to sail a leg without the rig set correctly.

But I do agree 100%. I see no point in having digital readouts on a classic and would suggest that they too take a PY hit!

D
David H
Stephen Hawkins

Post by Stephen Hawkins »

Yes the 'fluxgate' is used to reference the gyro compass to magnetic north....Blimey that digging back.

Years ago, whilst undergoing my trade training, I happened to mention to my dad on a visit home (who sailed out of pool at the time) that I was working on and studying gyro compasses. He suggested that if I could knock one up in the garage, he would be most appreciative.....There you go, coming from a background of skilled labour, where he used to make many things himself and fit out his own boats, he assumed that an afternoon, with a soldering Iron and some components, and 'bobs your uncle'.

I did 'larf' at the time, but I have always admired his ability to work with his hands.

Steve H
Steve Hawkins

1967 National 12 2383 "Sparkle"