Historic Portsmouth Yardstick Numbers

General chat about boats
JimC

Historic Portsmouth Yardstick Numbers

Post by JimC »

Those interested may see that we've released historic PY numbers for classes that have dropped off the Portsmouth Yardstick list since 1980.
The reason for the 1980 cutoff is

1) I found few official number sets for the 1970s.
2) Go back much further than that and the overall drift in performance of all boats is such they are probably less meaningful
3) Keep the size of the list reasonable.

There is one exception to the 1980 cutoff - the Minisail boys have created so much profile we thought clubs would like them included, so a gold star should be awarded!
I have a much bigger list of classes (over 500 ) but as I say the 70s are mostly missing and the 60s really too old to be very useful.

Unfortunately the guide text seems to have gone missing from the historical list. It will probably read along these lines.

"Historical numbers are listed below and have been collated from the RYA's archive of PN lists. It should be remembered that the Portsmouth Yardstick number list has been through a number of changes and the numbers listed below have had conversion factors applied where needed. It should also be remembered that whilst all efforts are taken for PN's not to drift, relative performance of older boats may be quite different to modern classes. The numbers are given as a starting point to help clubs arrive at a fair number and if these numbers are used they should be reviewed regularly. "

Jim C

[thinks, Rupert, for your next challenge get enough people racing Minisails regularly at clubs that return numbers for a number on the main list. Long way off at the moment I fear.]
realnutter

Re: Historic Portsmouth Yardstick Numbers

Post by realnutter »

JimC wrote: get enough people racing Minisails regularly at clubs that return numbers for a number on the main list.
Hi Jim... How many returns do you need, and how do we know if our club is returning?
Matt

Int Moth K2992
JimC

Post by JimC »

realnutter wrote:
JimC wrote: get enough people racing Minisails regularly at clubs that return numbers for a number on the main list.
Hi Jim... How many returns do you need, and how do we know if our club is returning?
Its a bit of a piece of string question because of the way the system works, but 100 completed races a year from 10 boats at half a dozen clubs for 3 years would probably do it unless the actual performances were poor.

The list of clubs who make returns is at the bottom of the PY list on the RYA web site.
realnutter

Post by realnutter »

Dammit!! I need to change clubs!

Grrrrr
Matt

Int Moth K2992
JimC

Post by JimC »

realnutter wrote:Dammit!! I need to change clubs!
Nope, Just volunteer to help out.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I must check Whitefriars. I think something happened and results weren't going through at one time, mainly due to not having a sailing sec.

Planning on sailing the Minisail when I can through to the end of June, at least, but many things will get in the way, sadly.

Jim, do Belgian handicap timings count?!
Rupert
chris

Post by chris »

hallo Jim,
I would be interested to see this list. Where can I find it?
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
chris

Post by chris »

Right,
I did pick those up at the dinghy show.
What I would like to see are some year by year figures to see changes within certain classes, in particular the development classes but some others as well. These , I assume are the last known figures and their dates, or are they an average?
Does the information exist like that at all?
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Pretty sure Jimc has been tracking this kind of thing.
Rupert
JimC

Post by JimC »

They're last known. PM me an email address and I can send you a spreadsheet with all the data I have.