1962 what was the most popular dinghy

General chat about boats
rory pitcher

1962 what was the most popular dinghy

Post by rory pitcher »

hello peeps
i was just wondering what was the most popular sailing dinghy in this year preferably none spinnaker , totally selfish reason as i was born this year and would be looking for a dinghy as old as myself so we can both grow older together kind of like my bucket list type thing
any ideas
cheers for the input
rory

current fleet (not all cvrda eligible)
parker lark 906
parker lark 1972
barker lark ???
finn ???
graduate ???
merlin rocket ????
enterprise (no number ex runnymeade 10)
miracle ????
Canal Sailor

Re: 1962 what was the most popular dinghy

Post by Canal Sailor »

Looking through my Dinghy Year Book 1963 (which has nationals results for 1962).

On a sail numbers basis GP14 followed by Enterprise.

Both had easily overtaken 12s, Fireflys, 14s etc by this time.

Out of interest, I wonder what the answer to your question would be for 50 years later (2012). My answer would be "don't know and the introduction of too many classes in recent years has wrecked dinghy sailing in the UK".

I am not too old and have sailed championships with 150 + boats on the line. These same classes are now lucky to muster 40-50.

Discuss.
rory pitcher

Post by rory pitcher »

canal sailor
thanks for that, a good flip of the coin there passing it forward 50 years , your right of course far to many class's and a lot with no soul just confuses me. did learn in a firefly as a spoilt school kid out in cyprus , which is were i also got the bug for larks
what is suprising is out of both the gp14 and enterprise just how many from that era are still turning up and in a loved and sailable condition they are
thanks for the input
regards rory
Canal Sailor

Post by Canal Sailor »

Rory,

The GP and Ent made sense. Before Jack Holt made dinghy sailing affordable it was a matter of buying a 12, Firefly or a 14, the latter being very expensive.

I knew two of the directors of Bell Woodworking in the 70s (I was actually at Bells one Saturday morning as a very young kid spending my pocket money on bits for my old Cadet when Jack Holt walked in to inspect the first Miracle to leave the works). Bells in those days was a sight to behold, a very busy hive of activity supplying boats to thousands. Very healthy considering they had competition from other smaller builders.

Too much choice nowadays and let's face it, few new boats actually make it because often they are not very good! Take for example the Laser 5000, it hit the 14s, 505s and Fireballs for a while, now look at it. I was suspicious when it came out, a twin wire skiff that needs a winch on it's trolley?! Hmmm. Junk.

Too many classes = too much dilution = handicap racing = frustration = people taking up other sports = boatparks nationally littered with decaying obsolete boats.

It is good to see old Ents and GPs still giving pleasure, it's because they are good boats. Easy to sail but difficult to sail well.

Regards

Canal Sailor
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

There were more active classes in the 70s than now. Blaming "too many classes" is missing something fundermental in what is currently happening in dinghy racing. I'm not sure what really is going on, as blaming other sports, changing work practices, more foreign holidays, family pressures or anything else, either individually or on mass with no evidence to back it up is si ply guess work.

As for your question, yes, the Ent and GP had caught the others numbers wise, but if I were you, I'd still buy a Firefly! A 1962 Firefly will still be competitive and, more important, if well looked after, have another 54 years of life left! Maybe...
Rupert
rory pitcher

Post by rory pitcher »

Rubert
thanks , if only i had another 54 years then indeed the firefly would be a good choice but saying that i do confuse myself sometimes as most sailing dinghys have their own followings and fans its what ever gives you personally that feel good factor . it is nice to sail with someone but then you also can't beat that feeling of one against nature , just to test yourself i think ? so getting back to the subject n12 firefly ent or gp even a narrow merlin (preferred option ) loads to choose just have to make a bit of space first (to appease mother and my better half)
so thanks again for the input
regards rory
JimC

Post by JimC »

Rupert wrote:There were more active classes in the 70s than now.
Indeed. I'd go as far as 'way more'. The striking thing now is not how many classes there are being actively marketed in the racing arena, but how few.
jules22

Post by jules22 »

I know the mirror was launched in 62 and was an instant hit, but when did it top the charts ?
hensoa

Post by hensoa »

My Dad built Mirror 4193 in 1966 and friends had Mirror 1965 built in 1965 growth of 2000 boats in 12 months was very impressive. Anyone remember Mirror dinghy days fun and frolics organised by the Daily Mirror?
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

It was first built in 63...
Rupert
Obscured by clouds

Post by Obscured by clouds »

Rupert wrote:It was first built in 63...
I suspect that was when ours was built. No.650.
learnt to sail in it with my cousin. had my first capsize too :)
dad acquired it as a straight swop for a Merlin [not an MR] that he had bought but considered it a bit too racy for us kids to learn on.
Tony

MR 2404 Julia Dream
N18 276 Sibrwd [ongoing project]
Hirondelle catamaran Kalipse
[down to 3!]