Roll up, roll up, buy an entire museum collection

General chat about boats
JimC

Re: Roll up, roll up, buy an entire museum collection

Post by JimC »

Petej wrote:Oh dear , why are these being sold off ?
I suspect that its one thing amassing a collection of boats, but quite another to set up a proper functioning self financing museum to display them. I fear the fact that most of them seem to have spent recent years stored in a polytunnel tells its own story.
Last edited by JimC on Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael4

Post by Michael4 »

JimC wrote:
Petej wrote:Oh dear , why are these being sold off ?
I suspect that its one thing amassing a collection of boats, but quite another to set up a proper functioning self financing museum to display them. I gear the fact that most of them seem to have spent recent years stored in a polytunnel tells its own story.
...and apart from we old fogeys who'd go and look at them?

Apols to anyone under 50.
Tideway 206
11+
Sold the 'Something bigger and plastic', it never got used.
MerlinMags

Post by MerlinMags »

David Henshall thinks we should be very worried about this auction:
http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/news/1 ... y-for-sale

I can't help thinking many of those dilapidated hulls ought to sell for less than a tenner, yet the auction process, fees and VAT will mean prices of £500. Madness.

I've thought carefully about this, and I'm not going to visit the auction website. I'll get all sorts of weird urges if I see the photos. I already caught myself wondering how much space there is in the garage...
suffolkmerlin

Post by suffolkmerlin »

Enterprise No1 was there, I collected it from the Polytunnel for the Ally Pally exhibition of Holt boats 5(?) years ago. The Enterprise Association thought they owned it but it turns out had given not loaned it to the Exeter Maritime Museum. I would be very interested it trying to save that boat
dronskiuk

Post by dronskiuk »

suffolkmerlin wrote:Enterprise No1 was there, I collected it from the Polytunnel for the Ally Pally exhibition of Holt boats 5(?) years ago. The Enterprise Association thought they owned it but it turns out had given not loaned it to the Exeter Maritime Museum. I would be very interested it trying to save that boat
It's not in the poly tunnel.
suffolkmerlin

Post by suffolkmerlin »

I think they tried to sell it at an auction in Beale looking for £2500, that failed. Looking at pics on auction website it is not in the condition it was in when it went to Ally Pally
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

More items have been added, not useful descriptions of models and magazines/books.
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
Aquarius

Post by Aquarius »

I'd like to look at the Lowestoft boats on Thursday 20th July, and I have it from the ybw web page here

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.ph ... ost6127916

that that is the viewing day for Lowestoft

Cardiff 14 July

Eyemouth 18 July

Lowestoft 20 July

Is anyone planning to go to Eyemouth?

Incidentally, "Merdeka" appears to be Schoedinger's IC, as she is listed in both Cardiff and Lowestoft...

I'd respectfully draw attention to Lot 421, the Linton Hope designed AQUAMARINE, in Eyemouth, which I think may be an RCC "B" Class Canoe, and looks in almost reasonable condition.
CVRDA eligible:
1962(?) Firefly F3163 "Aquarius"
1946 International Fourteen K478 "Galatea"
Not CVRDA eligible:
1991(?) Nethercot IC K229, "Ogaf the Unbearable"
Squib. possibly number 251, "Squirt"
Bootscooter
Location: Oxfordshire or Lincolnshire (depending on if I can get a weekend off)

Post by Bootscooter »

I'm quite seriously considering a bid on Finn 88 (my Finn PSN is 88)..... is there any other information around on the boat?
Eyemouth is a heck of a trip from Oxfordshire - is anyone planning on going up?

Cheers, Jon
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

Aquarius wrote:
I'd respectfully draw attention to Lot 421, the Linton Hope designed AQUAMARINE, in Eyemouth, which I think may be an RCC "B" Class Canoe, and looks in almost reasonable condition.
Some Aquamarine and Mederka discussion at http://www.intcanoe.org/forum2/viewtopi ... =20&t=1873
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

Bootscooter wrote:I'm quite seriously considering a bid on Finn 88 (my Finn PSN is 88)..... is there any other information around on the boat?
Eyemouth is a heck of a trip from Oxfordshire - is anyone planning on going up?

Cheers, Jon
Jon, I can only tell you what I could tell from the picture, it's a Fairey Finn with a conventional deck (very few seem to have been built like mine with tanks). It looks in reasonable condition on the NSBR photo. A collar mast is fairly basic but it looked like it might have a Needlespar as well. These hulls last well and are easy to repair and the ones decked like this seem to be quite fast with a modern rig, so I don't think you are taking a huge risk unless they want really silly money for it. I'd say around £300 would be reasonable. Expect to do some work, probably redo the case joint and perhaps redecking, update the rig and you've got a good boat.
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
Bootscooter
Location: Oxfordshire or Lincolnshire (depending on if I can get a weekend off)

Post by Bootscooter »

Thanks Peter (and thanks for flagging this on the Finn forum btw) - also wanted to make sure I wouldn't be bidding you up if you were going to go for it....
Are there many Finns around older than this?
Aquarius

Post by Aquarius »

neil wrote:
Aquarius wrote:
Some Aquamarine and Mederka discussion at http://www.intcanoe.org/forum2/viewtopi ... =20&t=1873
Thanks. My father owned the Linton Hope B class "Bubble" (drawings in Linton Hope's edition of Dixon Kemp) in the 1920's having found her with a hole in her and repaired her he sailed her from London to Cambridge, but indeed I think Aquamarine may be the only Linton Hope canoe extant.

(On a rather bigger scale the yawl DUET is still very much with us...)
CVRDA eligible:
1962(?) Firefly F3163 "Aquarius"
1946 International Fourteen K478 "Galatea"
Not CVRDA eligible:
1991(?) Nethercot IC K229, "Ogaf the Unbearable"
Squib. possibly number 251, "Squirt"
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

Bootscooter wrote:Thanks Peter (and thanks for flagging this on the Finn forum btw) - also wanted to make sure I wouldn't be bidding you up if you were going to go for it....
Are there many Finns around older than this?
Keith Tunstill has K60, Tony Lock has K39, both modernised fully, K25 is still around and Martin Hughes has K32 and goes very fast in it. I don't know of any others still sailing.
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
azimuth

Post by azimuth »

I found more info on k88 here http://87.106.22.33/iframe/nsbr.php?nsb ... at_id=2994 but I guess the pics are a bit out of date! I do hope someone goes for it, needs saving! Although tempting I don't have space for another boat really!
Keith.

Finn K60 'Sfinnx' Fairey
Zenith 74 'Azimuth' (rescued from the undergrowth 20yrs ago)
Zenith 61 'Bali Hai'... A family heirloom...