Roll up, roll up, buy an entire museum collection

General chat about boats
Post Reply
Aquarius
Posts: 105
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:08 am
Location: Woodbridge Suffolk

Re: Roll up, roll up, buy an entire museum collection

Post by Aquarius » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:16 am

Hang on a minute Gilbert Umfreville Lowes was killed in WW1.

Otherwise good and I will step out!
CVRDA eligible:
1962(?) Firefly F3163 "Aquarius"
1946 International Fourteen K478 "Galatea"
Not CVRDA eligible:
1991(?) Nethercot IC K229, "Ogaf the Unbearable"
Squib. possibly number 251, "Squirt"

JimC
Posts: 1706
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2004 10:24 pm
Location: Surrey
Contact:

Re: Roll up, roll up, buy an entire museum collection

Post by JimC » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:36 am

T_G wrote:Theo & Harry Smith ... switched to boat building initially producing canoe yawls
One of Theo Smith's canoe yawls seems to be the first recorded planing boat.

T_G
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:47 pm

Re: Roll up, roll up, buy an entire museum collection

Post by T_G » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:08 am

Aquarius wrote:Hang on a minute Gilbert Umfreville Lowes was killed in WW1.
Otherwise good and I will step out!
Well not good for GL (RNVR, injured, died 1919), but in 1914 HS assumed the proprietors role and the company was engaged in construction of patrol launches, then HS was involved in early seaplane construction returning to restart the company in 1918. I think they had outgrown Oxford, their reputations were on the rise elsewhere so they went to their new customers.
We have been told of the 1-rater Fizz 1891 built by HS at Oxford, so the location and date of Flying Cloud could be this early, John Leather's archive should be definitive. I think local conjecture wants this to be a Burnham boat, despite the listing notes. It would be interesting to see this lined up with the local 6M and ECODs on the river.

Some of the una rig canoes in this auction may be quite significant, but there is so little to go on and Cardiff/Eyemouth were just too far to visit, I really hope there is a future for them.

Still not sure about obtaining items at Eyemouth, but as before if there are Cardiff boats with masts/gear in Lowestoft we may be able to help reunite them with an easier timetable than the auctioneers. Maybe a similar solution for the Eyemouth lots can be found.

Aquarius
Posts: 105
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:08 am
Location: Woodbridge Suffolk

Re: Roll up, roll up, buy an entire museum collection

Post by Aquarius » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:47 am

T_G wrote:
Aquarius wrote:Hang on a minute Gilbert Umfreville Lowes was killed in WW1.
Otherwise good and I will step out!
Well not good for GL (RNVR, injured, died 1919), but in 1914 HS assumed the proprietors role and the company was engaged in construction of patrol launches, then HS was involved in early seaplane construction returning to restart the company in 1918. I think they had outgrown Oxford, their reputations were on the rise elsewhere so they went to their new customers.
We have been told of the 1-rater Fizz 1891 built by HS at Oxford, so the location and date of Flying Cloud could be this early, John Leather's archive should be definitive. I think local conjecture wants this to be a Burnham boat, despite the listing notes. It would be interesting to see this lined up with the local 6M and ECODs on the river.

Some of the una rig canoes in this auction may be quite significant, but there is so little to go on and Cardiff/Eyemouth were just too far to visit, I really hope there is a future for them.

Still not sure about obtaining items at Eyemouth, but as before if there are Cardiff boats with masts/gear in Lowestoft we may be able to help reunite them with an easier timetable than the auctioneers. Maybe a similar solution for the Eyemouth lots can be found.
At the moment the leading bid on "Flying Cloud" is the £300 that I put on before I became aware of your interest. I can't withdraw the bid so you need to go to £325. I can't just agree to buy her and sell her to you for what I paid, because that would be "ringing".

I have bids on some sails at Eyemouth so I might need to go there or arrange something with someone who is going there.
Last edited by Aquarius on Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CVRDA eligible:
1962(?) Firefly F3163 "Aquarius"
1946 International Fourteen K478 "Galatea"
Not CVRDA eligible:
1991(?) Nethercot IC K229, "Ogaf the Unbearable"
Squib. possibly number 251, "Squirt"

User avatar
neil
Site Admin
Posts: 1609
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:33 pm
Location: Plymouth

Re: Roll up, roll up, buy an entire museum collection

Post by neil » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:45 am

looks like the reserves are off for nearly everything, e.g. MS1 - reserve met for £5.

So, most of the boats will go. Moved from 3 large sheds into 200+ smaller sheds/garages, mainly in the home counties.

Can't see much changing as most of these will forever remain project boats. A few will go to those with deep pockets in their red trousers and then to the specialist restorers. The patina, history and life of these boats will be bleached out of them in the creation for the concourse winner.

We'll see a few appear very soon on eBay as the owners realise how much work they've taken on.

I doubt if we'll ever see more than a handful ever sailing, and certainly very few at CVRDA events.
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

T_G
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:47 pm

Re: Roll up, roll up, buy an entire museum collection

Post by T_G » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:57 am

At the moment the leading bid on "Flying Cloud" is the £300 that I put on before I became aware of your interest..... I have bids on some sails at Eyemouth so I might need to go there or arrange something with someone who is going there.
It will go for a lot more than that..... so no problems.

Just expecting the collective anguish tomorrow "help - I've bought something I shouldn't have!" It looks like everything will now find a home and hopefully there may be a surplus for the charity to continue preserving/digitising a written archive instead.
---
Looking at the unsold lots it seems they may have forgotten to take off the reserves on some items.
i.e. Lot 79 Length of rope = £36 (reserve £888,888)
Last edited by T_G on Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aquarius
Posts: 105
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:08 am
Location: Woodbridge Suffolk

Re: Roll up, roll up, buy an entire museum collection

Post by Aquarius » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:15 pm

T_G wrote:
At the moment the leading bid on "Flying Cloud" is the £300 that I put on before I became aware of your interest..... I have bids on some sails at Eyemouth so I might need to go there or arrange something with someone who is going there.
It will go for a lot more than that..... so no problems.
As indeed she did... :D

Good, as I was mainly concerned to make sure she didn't end up in unsuitable hands - this is a very special little boat.

Neil's cynical comments are probably accurate!
Last edited by Aquarius on Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CVRDA eligible:
1962(?) Firefly F3163 "Aquarius"
1946 International Fourteen K478 "Galatea"
Not CVRDA eligible:
1991(?) Nethercot IC K229, "Ogaf the Unbearable"
Squib. possibly number 251, "Squirt"

Aquarius
Posts: 105
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:08 am
Location: Woodbridge Suffolk

Re: Roll up, roll up, buy an entire museum collection

Post by Aquarius » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:26 pm

I just bought GALATEA, K478, so I shall be en route to Eyemouth with the trailer and must now take Neils' words as a challenge!
CVRDA eligible:
1962(?) Firefly F3163 "Aquarius"
1946 International Fourteen K478 "Galatea"
Not CVRDA eligible:
1991(?) Nethercot IC K229, "Ogaf the Unbearable"
Squib. possibly number 251, "Squirt"

T_G
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:47 pm

Re: Roll up, roll up, buy an entire museum collection

Post by T_G » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:40 pm

And Flying Cloud will be going to Maldon, although a slight error bidding, as I assumed once the reserves were off if would take incremental bids - oh well.

Once invoices / gate notices are issued, I offer to collect sails, rudders, dinghy masts etc. from Lowestoft for storage or forwarding from Maldon, but appeal for help retrieving the sail for Lot 627 from Eyemouth.
--
Minisail No.1 £5 !
Jolly boats ~£350
60's I14s from £25

Aquarius
Posts: 105
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:08 am
Location: Woodbridge Suffolk

Re: Roll up, roll up, buy an entire museum collection

Post by Aquarius » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:12 pm

T_G wrote:And Flying Cloud will be going to Maldon, although a slight error bidding, as I assumed once the reserves were off if would take incremental bids - oh well.

Once invoices / gate notices are issued, I offer to collect sails, rudders, dinghy masts etc. from Lowestoft for storage or forwarding from Maldon, but appeal for help retrieving the sail for Lot 627 from Eyemouth.
--
Minisail No.1 £5 !
Jolly boats ~£350
60's I14s from £25
Happy to pick up the sail for Flying Cloud if it can be identified.

Delivery to Downs Road?
CVRDA eligible:
1962(?) Firefly F3163 "Aquarius"
1946 International Fourteen K478 "Galatea"
Not CVRDA eligible:
1991(?) Nethercot IC K229, "Ogaf the Unbearable"
Squib. possibly number 251, "Squirt"

T_G
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:47 pm

Re: Roll up, roll up, buy an entire museum collection

Post by T_G » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:53 pm

Aquarius wrote:I just bought GALATEA, K478, so I shall be en route to Eyemouth with the trailer and must now take Neils' words as a challenge!
Watch some chap stick a jet wash in the bilge of K478 here: https://www.facebook.com/RacingAndRiverBoatMuseum/ plus there are still a few photos on their FB page.
Seems solid and complete, a sensible buy when you see the fight for Uffa's i14 K396 Lot504

Many thanks for the sail collection offer, I will send you a direct message.

Aquarius
Posts: 105
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:08 am
Location: Woodbridge Suffolk

Re: Roll up, roll up, buy an entire museum collection

Post by Aquarius » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:05 pm

T_G wrote:
Aquarius wrote:I just bought GALATEA, K478, so I shall be en route to Eyemouth with the trailer and must now take Neils' words as a challenge!
Watch some chap stick a jet wash in the bilge of K478 here: https://www.facebook.com/RacingAndRiverBoatMuseum/ plus there are still a few photos on their FB page.
Seems solid and complete, a sensible buy when you see the fight for Uffa's i14 K396 Lot504

Many thanks for the sail collection offer, I will send you a direct message.
Thanks! If the pressure washer didn't go through the bottom, that's a good sign!

I suspect that we know each other outside this forum...
CVRDA eligible:
1962(?) Firefly F3163 "Aquarius"
1946 International Fourteen K478 "Galatea"
Not CVRDA eligible:
1991(?) Nethercot IC K229, "Ogaf the Unbearable"
Squib. possibly number 251, "Squirt"

JimC
Posts: 1706
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2004 10:24 pm
Location: Surrey
Contact:

Re: Roll up, roll up, buy an entire museum collection

Post by JimC » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:12 pm

I'd be interested in hearing the destination of the Canoes Nederka and Aquamarine.

User avatar
trebor
Posts: 956
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:53 pm
Location: West Midlands
Contact:

Re: Roll up, roll up, buy an entire museum collection

Post by trebor » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:02 pm

Really heartening to read that most boats will be sold and efforts being made to preserve best boats, well done everyone concerned.
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
http://www.aquabatdinghy.co.uk

suffolkmerlin
Posts: 118
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:00 pm

Re: Roll up, roll up, buy an entire museum collection

Post by suffolkmerlin » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:23 pm

Any news on E1 I couldn't bid as have nowhere to store such an important bit of dinghy history

Post Reply