Xmas greetings and next projects

General chat about boats
jpa_wfsc

Re: Xmas greetings and next projects

Post by jpa_wfsc »

azimuth wrote:I'm doing a few small jobs on the finn, aiming to make the tanks water tight, and a bit of a revarnish.
SNAP!! The Finn has a small crack inside the CB case at the back where the board has hit it, and there are a couple of leaks in the hull / deck bond to fill.

Also Spider will come home for a small gunwale repair and an all over deck revarnish. The Moth needs sanding and top coating. Really, the contender needs the pro grip removing and re doing, but I think that will have to wait for the summer, when it will be a busy boat, so it may just have to wait.... Only one boat at a time can come home from the club.
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

jules22 wrote:The early wooden mirror is back home now and going into dry store over xmas, as I have a teenage daughter on the topper squad trail and don,t see it getting used in the forseeable. :(
I have one in dry store, waiting for grandchildren!!
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
jules22

Post by jules22 »

trebor wrote:Have a go yourself, I am having a laugh sailing my recently acquired Mirror, back to basics.
Next year I intend to sell my Tinker Traveller, Mirror will do similar job, hope to find my first restoration of a wooden boat.

Merry Christmas one and all.

I do sail it. :D BUT with 35 topper events (so far) to get to all over the country and work, not sure when I will get a chance to sail anything next year. :cry:
Pat

Post by Pat »

Seasons greetings everyone.
With sixteen boats around, including those stored for others, there's always loads to do. I want to completely re-layout the controls on the red Albacore because there's always total confusion about which line is shrouds, which is jib tension etc. I'd really like a modern Merlin style one-string system but don't know how to deal with the mast ram, which also needs re-work as it's a nasty little thing that doesn't move well and all other Albacore rams are twice the length and thickness!
I've also got to make covers for a Comet Duo and an Albacore and Sandy's got to finish the trailers he's started and we're possibly rescuing a Wayfarer or two from Roadford.

That's the jobs likely to get done, but there's also the little matter of a two storey extension to the house, retaining walls for the garden, fixing a dozen boats and, when the weather's better, finishing the van conversion....

But one job that IS in progress is sorting out all my pictures from events and making sure they are published on this web site for you to enjoy.
Happy Christmas
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Mast ram envy...
Rupert
sam mason

Post by sam mason »

Dump the ram fit a strut, they come up on ebay now and again, I haven't bothered with adjustable shrouds apart from over deck levers for years
Merry Christmas and a happy new year
Sam
Godfrey

Post by Godfrey »

As one project ends, another one begins and the Essex Sanctuary for Sick Merlins remains always busy.
I’ve had 3314 Passion in the shed to tackle some decay in the floor that had taken hold behind the front bulkhead. Merlins of that age only had a hatch on one side of the bow tank and water had gained access and got trapped on the other side. That’s done, and I’ve also converted the ‘pain in the neck’ stuff-luff jib arrangement to the standard layout so she can use any standard Merlin jibs we can lay our hands on. If anyone wants a car-load of ‘stuff-luff’ jibs they are welcome to them!
The Merlin I obtained off this website ages ago was 3055. She was salvaged from a chicken run and the spars all smelled of #…# for weeks. Well anyway, she got the Full Monty consisting of new bow-tank and sapele decks with sycamore trim and looks very happy again. She joins our “heritage fleet” at Fishers Green and is being “carbonised” by her new owner;- the kind requiring lots of pound notes rather than matches and petrol! As always, I have a full record of the re-build but unsure how to present them on this website.
Anyone reading the merlin website will have noticed the “death of Merlin 3047” but I paid the necessary ransom money and saved her from the chainsaw that awaited her. There was some decay in the usual places and I even managed to ‘up-cycle’ an old Albacore thwart into two new bilge-keels for her. After finishing off the paintwork I am faced with replacing all the items that were asset-stripped by the previous owners, so some deep rummaging in the small shed is required. The centreboard I got for £8 on e-bay a while back will come in handy here!
Once 3047 has all her working parts re-constituted again she will be looking to be moved on, and the next big project will be unsurprisingly another Merlin;- an NSM1 Omega shell that came largely complete via E-bay. The sum of £39 changed hands on this occasion, but I didn’t get a spinnaker included with that! I think these boats cost about the same as a family car when new in the early 80s… Using a hot air gun to strip crazed/lifted paint off the foam sandwich shell was a bit scary in the absence of decent paint stripper but she seems solid and will make a good boat for someone again in the future.
Seasons Greetings to all, as I head to the Tirol for New Year.
Godfrey
davidh

Post by davidh »

Hi Godfrey - I'm really looking forwards to seeing Passion again once she's back on the water - a fab boat.

I've posted elsewhere about the travails of being a working journalist and writer and how just covering events for the media (not to mention being RO for 5 Nationals in 2017) eats away at the time available for sailing. But, as said in the other post, my plan is to be very much an 'active ingredient' again on the classic scene in 2018.

In between times I've the Typhoon to prepare for the Proctor event - that is something I'm really looking forwards to as they're a lovely boat to sail in breeze - probably we'd need more than is good for most classics, but I'll enjoy thrashing it out in the Solent (and I'll get pictures)

But the emphasis will be on getting my own arse wet and NO - that does not include public outings in a lowrider Moth!

D
David H