Bosham classics

General chat about boats
Michael Brigg

Re: Bosham classics

Post by Michael Brigg »

Hi David,

My own feeling on Handicaps is that I've never been able to find a way to win or do well. In strong winds the fast boats fly away and in light airs I seem to go backwards. Winning is as it always has been, is a matter of endless practice, natural talent and not a small amount of money. Those that prioritise their success in sailing do this, and those that don't... don't.

To get back to your original posting about attendance before the traditional pre-season /end of season Handicap discussion season gets underway... :?

Before throwing any money at the boat you have to be in it to win it. If you attend an open meeting in any class, the cost of petrol to get there, Food...(Motorway service station snacks) petrol, and entry fees can easily exceed £100, and double that if you need accommodation in B&B or Travel lodge. Even Camping adds up and a camper van is another big commitment and not always easy to find accommodation for. A dinghy racing concept that relies on the entire fleet de-camping to 4 corners of the country every fortnight needs time only available to the retired, and a pocket alot deeper than most of us can afford, so of course attendance at events is patchy. I have attended all the Bosham events until this one, because it is local to me, but this year I had another commitment (and both my 'Classic' boats are in the repair shop. :( ) We have reasons why we may not attend meetings not excuses (which would imply some unfounded commitment.)

That said it is important to make a meeting worthwhile, and Bosham does this "in Spades" which is why they can count on attendances the rest of us dream of. (80+ this year.) The size of this entry gives a clear indication that it is an inclusive meeting.

It upsets me that people are suggesting Bosham is elitist. It is an affluent area and many of the members are in the nicest sense of the word @POSH@ but that does not ever make them unwelcoming or elitist any more than grumpy race officials can be in any other meeting. (You should see DH in his pomp!! :P ) I have always found the Bosham Meeting organisers to be welcoming, helpful and extremely hospitable, and offering free accommodation to visitors. and that is something that is rare in any open meeting.

One of the original purposes of the CVRDA was to draw attention to the plight of older boats whose fleets had been abandoned by their club racing in favour of classes with development and maintenance costs beyond the average pocket, and unbeatable handicaps. In that goal there has been significant success in raising awareness of the need to preserve startline scheduless that cater for older and historical boats, and various meetings around the country have now developed at which 'original' CVRDA eligible boats can sail, in the same way that Modern dinghies might attend an "Open Meeting." This can become sustainable entities and grow into a network with a healthy disseminated group of meetings organised locally in a sustainable manner

The rules of these meetings are quite rightly set by local needs and not dictated to by CVRDA rules which anyway should be no more than a guideline, and cater for local needs and sentiment. What is important is that these meetings are self sustaining and Do NOT need CVRDA support. Indeed it would be arrogant of CVRDA to suggest that they have any say in the running of and eligibility for these evolving events. Attendance is of course needed to ensure viability but that is a matter for the event itself to foster its support.

The CVRDA can reasonably take some credit, even pride for being the midwife of some of these events, some of which have grown like Hercules, but other than this, there is no need for further comment. Many meetings are now recognising that there is a need to encourage older boats, and within that group there will be those that take pleasure in the older patina of their boat and those that do use professional services to mend of improve their boat when the skill is beyond them. I have done both with equal pleasure resulting from both.

I fully intend to make it to Bosham next year and look forward to at least one more CVRDA event and 2 more Canoe events and some local club races this year. Like most of us, I am sometimes just too busy. That's a reason and not an excuse! :)
Michael Brigg
trebor

Post by trebor »

Michael,
You are only the second person I have heard give a positive image of Bosham, David being the other, when every other person gives a negative view it is no surprise no one from CVRDA turns up, comments I personally have heard are, sailors are very aggressive on the water, half an hour sail to get to race start, no where to park (which has already been mentioned), boat snobbery etc, again I apologise to Bosham, I have never been there to find out, BUT when you are inundated by negative comments it takes a lot to drive hundreds of miles to a venue, unfortunately now I will never find out, unless their is another boat designers centenary. I may have had second thoughts if their had been more posts similar to yours prior to meeting.
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
http://www.aquabatdinghy.co.uk
aviateam

Post by aviateam »

This year was my first CBR at Bosham and I took Wayfarer W3.

I'm not in it to win, but to share and enjoy, so the welcoming, relaxed atmosphere combined with excellent organisation ( and delicious breakfast ) provided just that. Thanks to all the team.

Quite an event, with the Proctor family contributing a unique perspective and insight into their father and dinghy design.

DH was on top form. Thanks Dougal!

It was over 1,100 miles straight line round trip for me to attend, and worth every mile.
Roger J Holman

Post by Roger J Holman »

A bit of topic drift, in that Bosham does not figure, but relevant any way to two aspects of this thread.

Some years ago, before my Son could drive himself to events, we attended a Laser Youth Nationals at a well known South Coast Sailing Club. Obviously, being a Youth Nationals, there were lots of parents around, most of whom had provided transport, food, money, support etc., for the young sailors.

I was incensed, and still am, by the attitude of one Club official who referred to the assembled parents as "Hangers On". Did he not realise that without said 'hangers on', there would be no event for him to officiate?

At another well known South Club Sailing Club, at a similar event, I had a Club 'Manager' put his hands around my neck in an attempt to make me move my vehicle when we were packing up and departing. The faces of the onlookers had to be seen .....

Does this suggest an attitude of mind amongst South Club Sailing Clubs?

Changing subject slightly: I normally sail a Jollyboat. I restored the boat from a wreck about ten years ago and was faced with a choice; either fit it out as a period piece with correct 1950's gear, if I could find it, or to fit it out with up to date gear which would make the boat comfortable and easier to sail. As I am of advancing seniority (72 this year) I chose the latter course, and do not regret it. We sail twice a week during the summer in a purely handicap fleet, we sometimes beat everyone else on the water, but never win on handicap. Do we care? not a great deal, we enjoy the sailing, especially the boat against boat contests. We tend not to indulge in 'Survival Sailing' anymore, nor wind free sailing, in contrast with some who will go afloat WHATEVER the conditions, just to get series points.

Relax: this is meant to be enjoyable.