Classic Finn views

General chat about boats
PeterV

Classic Finn views

Post by PeterV »

So this year we decided to concentrate on just 2 events, the CVRDA event at Roadford and the BFA event at Oxford. (Although of course classic Finns can sail at all BFA and CVRDA events). We had 4 boats at Roadford and 4 Classics and 1 Classic with Carbon at Oxford. We had good racing at both events although Oxford was rather windy.
We've also obtained a reduced BFA membership rate for classic sailors.

Before I start discussions about next year's events I'd value opinions about this format. I've spoken to a few so far who think that it would be best to stick with the same for next year and hopefully encourage some others to come. I know that quite a few are unsure about attending BFA sea events so next year's BFA event will probably be the Inlands again but I don't know yet where this will be.
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
azimuth

Re: Classic Finn views

Post by azimuth »

I’ve posted across on the BFA forum, good to get a bit of traffic on the classics section of that forum.
Keith.

Finn K60 'Sfinnx' Fairey
Zenith 74 'Azimuth' (rescued from the undergrowth 20yrs ago)
Zenith 61 'Bali Hai'... A family heirloom...
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

I’d be happy for things to be much the same. I’d like to try sailing the Finn on the sea, but it would depend on the weather!
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

I was planning to go to Oxford - but sadly I began a (non sailing related) project and that clashed.

I would definitely be prioritising a Classic Finn event in 2019, but it would need to be, ideally, reasonably near, and would have to not clash with the Comet Trio Calendar, and not clash with my ongoing project.... but I really want to do some fleet racing in my Finn (a sister to Nessa's, but a lot more 'oily rag' condition!).

The other aspect is that I've not got much interest in joining the BFA because I am never going to campaign my Finn on the circuit. I do admire the great work they do - e.g. supporting young talent in the fleet - but I have not got the time to invest in competing the boat to make membership worth it.
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.