Mast carrying on vans

General chat about boats
Chalky

Re: Mast carrying on vans

Post by Chalky »

Has anyone got a good idea for transporting very long masts? I need to collect the rig for the Rater. It’s only 45ft long!
LASERTOURIST

Post by LASERTOURIST »

borrow a trailer from either a rowing club or a glider club, they're almost as long as a 38 T lorry
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

I recently talked to the secretary at Eton Excelsior Rowing Club about the possibility of borrowing a rowing tailer and he was very keen to help. A small cotribution to club funds would have sealed the deal.

At this time of year there aren't too many regattas althogh there are quite a few head races but usually a club trailer is unlikely to be in use in the week.

A trailer long enough for a 40+ ft mast will need to be a full size trailer able to transport an un-sectioned rowing IV or a sectioned VIII and if lightly loaded should be easily managed by any medium size diesel family estate car or petrol equivalent. It can take some getting used to with the length, and if you get stuck and need to unhitch at least 2 people wold be needed. 8)
Michael Brigg
Michael4

Post by Michael4 »

The rigging people down our way (Holman?) have a purpose built mast trailer that seems to spend a lot of time sitting around...
Tideway 206
11+
Sold the 'Something bigger and plastic', it never got used.
JimC

Post by JimC »

As the raters are out of the water at the moment anyway (I presume) why don't you just put one on a trailer and tow it down to get the mast? Alternatively with just an empty trailer would the overhangs each end be within limits if you roofrack the mast overhanging a rater trailer?
Chalky

Post by Chalky »

I think I can borrow a 7 metre long mast trailer but I’m still going to have some big overhangs. I will try and contact deben rowing club to see if the have a longer trailer.
What could possibly go wrong?