Ian Proctor Event 2007

General chat about boats
davidh

Post by davidh »

There was a rumour flying about earlier that there would be an event down at falmouth in 2007 to celebrate the 50 years of IP's work.

I've borrowed this from the Osprey site but it should be a great opportunity for anybody with anything 'proctor' related (just as ... MR36) to be involved.

text as follows:-
The Ian Proctor Jubilee Regatta
Written by Huw Pearce
Thursday, 29 June 2006
Please find following some information about The Ian Proctor Jubilee Regatta, which I have just received. I think it is a great opportunity for the class to show off our boats and meet with other Proctor classes. Unfortunately it does clash with the Coniston Open meeting but I feel that is an aceptable situation provided we can get the support of the Southern Boats.

I need to reply by Sunday 2nd July 2006, so please could you post your views on the thread in the Gossip - Events forum http://ospreysailing.org.uk/index.php?o ... 29&catid=7

Ian Proctor Jubilee Regatta 2007

Dear Chairman

1957 was a seminal year for Ian Proctor. The creation of the first aluminium masts, launch of the Wayfarer and Gull, a new National 12 and Merlin Rocket, the beginning of the MiniSail which was a new concept in dinghy design, books, the list goes on.

Picking a year to mark an anniversary for such a prolific and respected Royal Designer for Industry and winner of many design awards, is difficult when he packed so much in. However 2007 as a Golden Jubilee, seems as good as any.

The National Maritime Museum, Royal Cornwall Yacht Club, Restronguet Sailing Club and the Proctor family are creating an event that celebrates the man and his work, and we would like to invite your Class to become part of it. We are hoping that hundreds of his designs will participate, old and new.

We will be holding a two day racing and cruising event in Falmouth harbour in aid of the Island Trust, which helps disadvantaged youngsters into the sport of sailing. This was a cause close to our father's heart. It will be held over the Whitsun Bank Holiday on 26th, 27th and 28th May.

The National Maritime Museum will hold a special exhibition of his work. This will be a chance for different Classes to get together to race and cruise, in fun and friendship, all very much part of the vision Ian Proctor had when he designed his boats. The Wayfarers have already decided to hold their international cruising rally there as well as racing, the Wanderers will also be cruising and racing.

The event has so far been planned in the following way but the clubs are willing (within reason) to work with classes to put on events tailored to their wishes:

Saturday 26th May 2007

Registration/launching/ safety checks at designated clubs.

7.30- 8.30 Reception in the National Maritime Museum.

Sunday 27th May 2007

12 noon – race briefing for larger boats at Royal Cornwall Yacht Club. Two afternoon races. Boats moored up to Museum pontoons after racing.

12 noon - Smaller boats such as Toppers, Signets, Blue Peters, Minisails etc, have their briefings at Restronguet Sailing Club.

Cruise to be organised.

Monday 28th May 2007

Three more races.

Cruise to be organised.

7pm Prize Giving followed by a Cornish Pasty and Clotted Cream Bonanza plus
Dance/ Cleigh in Marquee in square outside Maritime Museum.

Entry and Website

The website giving the complete information on the event will be up and running by 1st September 2006. Entries will be taken after this date and will close six weeks before the event unless there are more than 400 entries, when it would need to close earlier.

Entry Fee

The level is still to be decided but it will cover the event plus a donation to the Island Trust, to help the participation of young disadvantaged people in sailing. For further information on the Island Trust visit http://www.theislandtrust.org.uk
Last Updated ( Friday, 11 August 2006 )

+++++++++++ David
David H
chris

Post by chris »

David, John and Lyn are up for this event with merlin 36, It's possible they may be away though but they said I could borrow the boat. I'll follow this up.
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Presumably this is the Whitsun w/end.....isn't that the day of the Brightlingsea event this year?

Nothing confirmed yet anyway.....but want to try and get things together without too many clashes.

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

If it is the same weekend, then perhaps we should look at rescheduling Brightlingsea? Maybe I should get a Proctor singlehander to replace 533...with the current absence of a brain, I can't think of any singlehanders he did other than the Minisail and Topper.
Rupert
davidh

Post by davidh »

A good point there - the Falmouth bash is almost too good an opportunity for the Association to miss out on. The danger is that there will be a lot off Toppers, Kestrels and Ospreys and nothing more with a true flavour of the development side of IPs work.

I'd even go as a 'crew'.......

D
David H
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I wonder what handicapping system they will be using?
Rupert
davidh

Post by davidh »

Good question!

I'd pondered on the idea of trying to get hold of the Typhoon for the event - there ought to be at least one of those to celebrate IP's thinking on trapeze boats. Any takers for someone wanting to take a tempest!!!!!!!!!!

D
David H
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Why move the Brightlingsea event as the Proctor even is only for Proctor boats only one of which took part at Brightlingsea. Seems cock eyed to me to cancell an even so that a very few people can go to another not even being run by the CVRDA.
Cheers Al
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Just been on the Kestrel site, and it seems that there is no event anyway. The idea would have been to move, not cancel, as the brightlingsea event was too small to loose even a couple of possible entries. Not an issue now. Have we heard for definate that the Brightlingsea event is on?
Rupert
roger

Post by roger »

David, I am getting a reputation at Shearwater for being a boat tart(I will sail in anything with anyone). I dont know the Tempest at all but am willing to jump in and have a go.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
chris

Post by chris »

Yes the Osprey site says the Proctor event has been cancelled.
What a shame.
Pat

Post by Pat »

Pity about the Proctor cancellation as we would like to have taken Half Cut - the second Proctor Merlin that was at Brightlingsea!!
But I wouldn't want to miss Brightlingsea either. Jonathan said the club seemed keen to have us when we saw him at Shearwater and he's the local rep.
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
davidh

Post by davidh »

Has anyone seen yet if the event is cancelled - end of story, or just delayed?

D
David H
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

The bit I saw said the Falmouth clubs were unable to come to an agreement as to how the event would be run, which says something about the relationship between the clubs on the Roads. Whey the event couldn't be put on elsewhere, I don't know. I suspect the scale of the thing was too grand, and a smaller event might have worked.
Rupert
jonathanR

Post by jonathanR »

I have just read through this topic and would appreciate learning what you would like to do. I will need to get us booked in for late May BH. I was hoping to promote our little org round the local clubs to see if we could tempt a few old'ns out of sheds and barns and on to the briny. Quick debate needed then a decision please folks. Biased I know but I vote for B'sea!!!!