watch out

General chat about boats
davidh

Post by davidh »

alan,

Now I am seriously pis*ed off! I thought that the Unit (py 1074) had the most potential of any singlehander yet devised by man. And now you're telling me I've missed one!!!

There is now a 'demand' for an explanation!!

Singlehanders rule...OK! (but not AN ok - if you follow my meaning)
D
David H
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

All right the greatest singlehander yet and still CVRDAable
Cheers Al
pegasus

Post by pegasus »

Well that has to be something with a plank and possibly a spiny but as asymmetrical are not cvrdable must be a single hander with a plank.

Greg
Pegasus 166(The Darkside) SOLD
Cherub 2646 Madge
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

He hasn't ruled out Cats there, you notice...Unicorn? A-Lion?
Rupert
davidh

Post by davidh »

hmmmmmm....

The greatest singlehander ever (yet is still CVRDA legit)

That might be a tad subjective but again Alan you tease somewhat.

It would be hard to argue against the Finn making a claim like that - but you have one of those already. As you're a man of some stature it wouldn't be an IC - which could make the claim, nor a Contender which ought to make the claim.

The Trapeze could have made the claim had it gotten itself sorted out, the Harrier, ToY and others are interesting but you'd have to stretch thier importance.

That leaves.....a very early Phantom (I'll protest!) or the Unit - which was the greatest singlehander till the IYRU stiffed it.

have I missed any?

D
PS... you're not thinking of replacing that young lady with the legs in her international 12 are you?
David H
DRLee

Post by DRLee »

A former Olympic class by any chance?
davidh

Post by davidh »

Rupert...

check back and Alan does refer to it as a monohull - he's sneaky like that.

David - the international 12 was indeed an olympic class as was the o-jolle (though you'd have to work VERY hard to describe that as a 'great' singlehander. But there again - so was the Firefly.

Now that would be sneakier than sneaky - someone to out Rupert Rupert even!!!!!

Are we getting any warmer yet Alan?

D
David H
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Well David you did guess right. The greatest singlehander is of course the Finn what could be better than a newer Peter Taylor doubled bottom down wind speed machine. Well it's interesting to know that people are interested in what you are sailing. Seriously 340 is nearly sold, have agreed a price, new purchaser has to get rid of one of his 9 boats before completing his wife says. The boat I'm sailing and have agreed to buy is a Alloy black top Needlespar mast, Hood powered, 1976 white and grey GRP Taylor 424 that seems to be able to keep up with a carbon wing masted mylar powered Vanguard down wind so I'm well pleased as I have always wanted a selfdraning Taylor from the time I first saw one. Roadford will soon be able to register as a Finn fleet as we have 4 boats at present Neal has 2 a Fairy and a Vanguard, Graham Brookes has a Vanguard I have at the present time 340 and will purchase the Taylor completely once that one is sold locally so it may even be 5.

Cheers Al
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Ah, I see, we were all being too general...Alan was referring to what (for a man of his stature - I would have to demure) is the best built of the best class. I look forward to crossing swords (not literally, as a Firefly would end up as matchwood) with such a craft!
Rupert
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

Well done Alan,
I've always longed for a Taylor although I think the wooden ones looked even more desirable than the glass ones. It's amazing to think that they're eligible for CVRDA, they were the very latest when I wanted one. I suppose it just shows how old we're all getting.
My Finn's now got a new case in and if only it would stop raining for a little while it will be finished and back on the water, and faster I hope, I found the old case wasn't upright and the top was too high, meaning the centreboard extended about 6" less than it should.
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
chris

Post by chris »

Well, for a moment I thought you might have seen sense and bought a merlin!
davidh

Post by davidh »

well done on the new purchase Alan, it sounds just the bizz!

Much as it grieves me to say it, one can't really argue with the comment that to date, the Finn has to be 'the' singlehander. Not the best, that would be far too subjective, nor the fastest, the easiest, best to sail, responsive...no, none of these. But the class does stand out head and shoulders above the rest (yes, even above the Laser) as the boat in which success marks you out as a serious yotter.

The sad part is that now I've the build to sail one I've no real wish too - I hope I'll be happy with the Unit and will stick with that (plus maybe a Merlin now!!)

See you afloat

D
David H
Brookesy

Post by Brookesy »

Hi,
Just to update you Alan, I have now acquired another Vanguard for the Roadford fleet, needs a bit of sorting but should be a good one.The wife has been very understanding!!!!
GBR74 ex custodian of
GBR384 Mickey Finnale (Taylor,wood)
GBR455 Rubber Duck (Taylor, grp)
FD GBR350 Supercalifragalisticexpialidocious
Chris 249

Post by Chris 249 »

I'd argue with the idea that the Finn is "head and shoulders" above the rest as the class to prove yourself. In the last couple of days, the Finn Euros went to a guy in his second year in Finns. In years in Lasers, he never even made the top 10 in the Euros. The Stars went to Laser sailors 1st, 2nd and 3rd. Schiedt last won the Laser worlds last year; he's already #2 in Stars. Ainslie took 4 days from the time he got into the Finn, to being a serious competitor at top level. Within a year he was pre-Olympic, Euro and World champ. In contrast, he never won a Laser worlds and took about 7 years to go from being Radial world champ to Gold medallist. He then took the Finn gold with some ease after just 2 or 3 years, I think.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

You have a point, Chris, but I think this is more about the physicality of the boat combined with the skills, as seen from the outside. There is also the history of top flight names in the class, giving weight (of a different sort) to the legend of the Finn. The laser has the numbers to give the compitition to bring out the best in sailors, so it is no surprise that when they move classes, they do well, but because you or I or anyone else can borrow a Laser at a moment's notice, jump in and race, it looses something on the legend front. Also, because the Finns and OKs are European classes that traditionally we Brits have done very badly in, now we are doing well the class reputations are inflated, rather!
Rupert