The biter bit...... now this is worthy of a PiXX

General chat about boats
Grahamd

Post by Grahamd »

Hi David Rowsell built NSM 2 very pretty needs ab bit of tidying to make her really smart but that can wait till the spring, built in 1982 so can i come along.Would post a pick if i knew how
davidh

Post by davidh »

Pat,

I knew that I'd hear of the boat before. Nick Aubrey (working from memory here) had the original ROTS with the intention of doing well at Salcombe.

Wow indeed.......... If I get on the bike next spring and come up to Shearwater can I have a little go? Life is so hard at present, I keep seeing ads for good boats (New Potato was up for grabs the other day) but I mustn't, mustn't, mustn't............

Or can I?

D
David H
nick

Post by nick »

Nick Aubrey sold Uptown Girl, a modified NSM2, to me in order to fund ROTS "Riders on the Storm". Both boats were weight carriers as he and Chris Rutter, his crew, were both 'big boys'. They were also glorious examples of Guy Winders best work (the boats that is, not Nick and Chris). Along with the boat Nick gave me two very expensive sweaters embroidered 'Uptown Girl'. As you can imagine they hadn't been worn - we didn't wear them either! Both Uptown Girl and ROTS are featured in the Merlin Rocket book, though incorrectly identified.

Nick
davidh

Post by davidh »

Nick,

One of the reason why I didn't go and break the bank balance investing in 'New Potato' was that it just isn't a weight carrier. 24 stones max and the majority of that needs to be in the crew - if I sailed it we'd be 'arse end heavy' and then some!!

But worse - Niane is up for sail, at Lymington. Now there is a weight carrier for you, be a sod to get upwind in a breeze though.

Do you still have 'Uptown Girl'?

Now here is a thought. Acorss the board we're getting bigger, fitter, stronger and heavier. So why is it that more and more modern boats just don't carry weight well?

Something for the academically monded to consider

D
David H
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

People are getting bigger, fitter and stronger. It's one of the things people forget when they propose deleting the Finn from the Olympics, saying that the Laser is too similar. There are many youths now who outgrow the Laser before they turn 18.
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Hi all,

the Harrier has been christened "Disco Volante" due to it being nearly as wide as it is long. (Three bonus points for the oldie that can name the provenance of that name:)). Diverging slightly, We did name the house "Beau Lochs" in tribute to alleged Scottish/French ancestry. Surprising how many people do not notice.

Nigel
davidh

Post by davidh »

Nigel,

You missed outthere - I think the Harrier would have gone well down in Bristol Docks...next time I'm taking something pointy atthe front, preferrably with a job too!

Disco Volante..... assuming you've not gone for the obvious Jame Bond link I'd plump for the Flying Saucer in the film!

Can I have my 3 points in Andrex tokens please?

D
David H
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Hi David,

On the nail! (another Bristol reference). Yes I'm sorry I missed the latest event. I was unavoidably detained on a scuba diving expedition to the Caribbean. The aim is to actually get to an event next year.

ATB

Nigel
nick

Post by nick »

David

No, I don't still have Uptown Girl, I sold her to Jonathan Hill, who also bought my previous Merlin - 3290 - Mornington Crescent (so named because I didn't understand that game either!). 3290 was the first new boat I bought, and I was so excited I paid Guy Winder twice ! He was honest enough to refund the difference.

As I recall, New Potatoe had virtually no rocker, great in a straight line, but wouldn't go round corners. However, in Phil King's hands it won many events of all kinds, and it still seems odd to me that the concept was not developed further, in fact I think NP was the only boat of that design, or indeed near it. Perhaps I'm wrong, though.

Nick
jpa_wfsc

Re: Sandtex Scow

Post by jpa_wfsc »

davidh wrote: I stepped the mast on the Sandtex Scow or Unit 7 as it should be addressed.

D
despite desperate searching ? I never did find out why No7 is called the Sandtex Scow.. .. .. ???

john./
Michael Brigg

Re: The biter bit...... now this is worthy of a PiXX

Post by Michael Brigg »

Talking of boat names to upset commitees, the Royal Yacht Squadron have had to contend with "Dip me in Honey" (and throw me to the... etc) which Dick Johnson enjoyed comentating on Sandhurst Radio.)

Ed, as a rower do you remember a coxless IV from Thames Tradesmen (I think.) in the early 70's They lost out on selection by the Amateur Rowing Assosiation committee one year and did the round of upmarket regattas in their boat winning everything. The boat was named ARABOC.

Modesty forbids detail but suffice to say the "bunch of selectors" at the ARA had their noses well and truly rubbed.
Michael Brigg
davidh

Post by davidh »

John,

The Sandtex scow.......so called because, when I got it, that was what the surface resembled - something painted with Sandtex.

Sadly, dear old Number 7 may soon find it's way onto the 'for sale' section..... have no time for anything other than work at present, when no working, Race Officering......life is hard being retired.

D
David H
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

David.....I may know of someone looking for a Unit, so if you do put it on the market I'll pass details along.
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith