What boat

General chat about boats
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

Just out of interest does anyone know what type of boat these are from? It so happens that I was asked to have a look at a 7-8ft boat owned now by our local scout troop to see if it was a viable project for them (it was all ok with a good scrape and paint job needed) but the sails were there and of this pattern so wondered what they were. Amazingly a set has appeared on ebay!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PAIR-of-JACK-HOLT ... dZViewItem
roger

Post by roger »

Puffin??
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
keithr

Post by keithr »

Mainsail looks like a Optimist going by the size.

No idea on red one

Keith
Two Peggies 199,100,
Flying fifteen 1855,
Flying fifteen 204 (now in the barn)
Sunbird
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

Well there is a main and jib (red also) with the little boat I have seen and first idea was an Optimist. It is mirror shaped at the bow but there is no buoyancy built in at all. So I'm still wondering. The sail slips over the mast but it was dark and I am not sure of the mast arrangement. Anyhow they are going to restore it as a project - they might then move to a Merlin (I wish.......)
DavidC

Post by DavidC »

They are a suit of sails for a "Mailboat". It never had an insignia but the lower blue triangles identify it. Designed by Peter Milne and Peter Cook and Sponsored/Supplied by the Dail Mail. The hull was twin-keel polystyrene! About 1970.

Yes square at the bow and a very odd shape with deep hull. If the helm sat in the bottom, only his head would show!. 8' long and a 5' beam!. Now if you could find the hull it would definately be a collectors piece. Maybe one for the museum though, I doubt it would keep up with the Unit! Just think of the handicap number!!!!
davidh

Post by davidh »

Dave (C),

If it floats, hasn't got a sliding seat with it's own built in gear failure, and from the pictures white and blue sails rather than Pink - I want it!!!

I've just seen the forecast for the rest of the week - very little chance for the Unit to 'taste' the water now before Saturday.....

D
David H
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by DavidC</i>
<br />They are a suit of sails for a "Mailboat". It never had an insignia but the lower blue triangles identify it. Designed by Peter Milne and Peter Cook and Sponsored/Supplied by the Dail Mail. The hull was twin-keel polystyrene! About 1970.

Yes square at the bow and a very odd shape with deep hull. If the helm sat in the bottom, only his head would show!. 8' long and a 5' beam!. Now if you could find the hull it would definately be a collectors piece. Maybe one for the museum though, I doubt it would keep up with the Unit! Just think of the handicap number!!!!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Buggerit.....there goes another question from the Quiz....I was about to scan a pic of the Mailboat this evening. Still, at least it solves the dilemma about to answer the original question at the risk of throwing out a quiz question.
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

Well it sure ain't a plastic hull - ply all over. The sails are pristine though with their original folds. The scouts were given it by the family of a guy who has gone to the sailing club in the sky - complete with a JAP outboard fully working. So we really aren't much further forward except to say that the sails don't necessarily match the hull. I'll try and get a photo or two when the scouts get it to the hut out of the shed.