Quiz 2006

General chat about boats
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Possibly it needs to appeal to more people, and loose its reputation as the hardest quiz on the internet (I've seen comments along those lines on a couple of sites)! Trouble is, then it won't be as much fun to set...
Rupert
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

I think i agree!,

but I think the real problem is not that it is hard....but more that unless you have the appropriate books to research in, its very hard indeed. You can Google some, but in the end a big well known library is a big help.

But the question is....how do we make it more fun for more people next year....I have some ideas, but what about others?

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Ianphot

Post by Ianphot »

A quiz for newcomers without the encyclopaedic knowledge of many of the "old hands" might be interesting - the experts could do the same quiz against the clock totally unsupported by references or web!
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Yes, I agree that doing something against the clock would be interesting.....but I wonder how we would do this. I have a couple of ideas....but neither seem very clever

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
Phelps Scull
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

Does it really need books? I've got very few books I can refer to. I have been sailing dinghies for many years (as others have I suppose), I even sailed a TV dinghy for a while when the scouts had one. I think I got the Linton Hope/ Brown boat answer from one book, the picture of Richard Creagh-Osborne from another (but still got the other half wrong, I'm sure he used to edit Elvestrom's racing Rules book and put that as the answer. That was it, only 2 answers from books. Does that make me a real geek, very old fashioned or what?
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

I suspect you prove my point and also that you have a much large knowledge of this subject area.

I had the most correct answers in the quiz, but this was more likely to be due to the size of my library rather than the size of my brain.

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
Phelps Scull
Ianphot

Post by Ianphot »

I'm asking for a second quiz - keep the difficult one as before but have a second "beginners" quiz for newcomers like myself. I'm sure others would welcome discovering whole new sailing discoveries as we search for answers. Just look at where the "cotton sails" thread takes you as an example. I started to compile a gallery of sail emblems when I started sailing so that I didn't have to keep asking 'what's that boat' when watching the Sunday racing. I found so many interesting web sites I forgot to complete my compilation. Is there such a thing on the web? One that explains the origin of the emblem would be good, and a good source of simple questions to get the beginners quiz started!
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Well.....you could look at the first year's quiz....that was much easier.

It must still be on the website somewhere, I didn't take it off anyway

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
Phelps Scull
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Peter's memory is obviously much better than mine...there were many answers that I knew were in my head somewhere, which meant finding them in books was easy because I had an idea where to start looking, but it wasn't till I saw them that I though "Oh, of course". Too many years sniffing epoxy, I suppose!
Rupert
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Not knowing the answers is part of the fun. Finding one is so much more rewarding:).

Otherwise, how about each person having a quiz yardstick?. The quiz will be the same but the handicap arguments should be highly entertaining.

Nigel
Rod

Post by Rod »

I'm not so worried about the difficulty of the quiz but I would like to see some more details from the quizmaster once the answers are revealed. Anything to add to my education is fun. For instance, these foam boats, who designed, when manufactured, how many are made. If a quiz answer is an obscure photo in an obscure book with no other supporting details, then maybe it doesn't belong in the quiz.

Rod
Rod M
Annapolis MD USA

http://www.earwigoagin.blogspot.com
http://cbifda.blogspot.com/

Classic Moth: 105
PK Dinghy
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I love the idea of a quiz yardstick! Ed's a Flying Dutchman...
Rupert
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Can't I at least be a Jollyboat....very fast, but rarely in the right direction.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
Phelps Scull
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

I wanted to be a Toy boy but from the scores, it looks like I turned out to be an Optimist.

Nigel
chris

Post by chris »

somewhere on my PC I have a short quiz I called Nautie Body Parts that I did for shearwater CVRDA a few years ago that I could happily post at some point - fairly frivolous - if anyone fancies?

Sorry I didn't attempt this year's quiz. When I looked through it I could only answer two questions so I went off to play with our new grandson!