Fame at last!!

General chat about boats
davidh

Post by davidh »

Okay, I knowthat this may look like a bit of self promotion (better that than self gratification!!) BUT.......

some of you may want to look at the latest issue of Dinghy Mag, pages 38 -40. This would be of extra interest to those with old Merlins.

I hope the text is 'interesting' - please don't make too many "I don't agree with that" as I've tried to make the whole thing palatable beyond just the immediate class.

But thanks to you all for being such good 'subjects' and for providing such a rich vein of high quality material.

D
David H
Pat

Post by Pat »

Wish someone would persuade the Warminster and Salisbury newsagents to stock it!! Devizes is the nearest reliable source - the newsagent opposite Tesco's has the best magazine range around.
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
roger

Post by roger »

Pat I have a copy which is doing the rounds and will put it in the clubhouse when I have finished with it. Miles and Chris Barnes were very chuffed to be in the same frame as 36 and they wlooked like they were sailing the 420 not just pratting about.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

I struggeled to get the first issue, so I've had it on subscription ever since. You get a discount, sometimes a useful gift and it's a lot less hassle.
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
JimC

Post by JimC »

Next week's Y&Y should have something of mine in. I should be quite suprised if many of you own any of sorts of boats I'll be talking about though!
chris

Post by chris »

Interesting article, David, very good .
I should have shown you a set of original tall cotton sails that I first put on 36 before john bought his new suit. They were off 176 and can be seen on
http://www.merlinrocket.co.uk/gallery/v ... d_2121.jpg
They are taller and narrowerer than Iska's and measure foot=1730, luff=6350. !
One thing you might be able to answerfor me. The original 1946 rules for merlin sails give the usual formula for calculating area. but then say if they are not triangular the area must be calculated according to the YRA's formula for non triangular sails. Any idea what that was?
davidh

Post by davidh »

CHris,

You're right - they did have such a system - I'veread about it but never seen it done.

If it is the one I'm thinking about then you do a 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4 height measurement - and then they do the same forthe F measurment.

Glad you liked the pictures!

D
David H
DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Have a look in the ISAF website http://www.sailing.org and hunt under technical. You should find the guide for area measurement. This dates back well into the IYRU days and quite probably cam out of the YRA.

DC
jonathanR

Post by jonathanR »

For measuring areas behind curves (do not think Jordon) look up Simsons Rule on the internet. Massive formula if you can be bothered and many pleasant hour was wasted by me as a pupil surveyor working these things out. The office calculator (mechanical) had no memory so we made jottings all over the place then had to average the individual calculations. A huge sigh of relief was heard when the first electronic calculator was purchased. I guess with electronic tracing machines and other gizmos the RYA might suggest we measure total area of cloth now! That could make one or two sails illegal. No names, no pack drill.
JimC

Post by JimC »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by DavidC</i>
Have a look in the ISAF website http://www.sailing.org and hunt under technical.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
The Cherub class use it. Here you are.
http://www.sailingsource.com/cherub/sailrule.htm
Mind you I imagine that most Merlin sails have such straight lines in the leech that you only need to divide it up into two triangles and then use the ISAf formula to add luff and foot round...
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi David. As an ex Horneteer I prefer to be infamous, than to be famous.
All The best.
Al Finn 340 and 424, Shark 41, Dolphin 30, NOD 679 and Nacra 1879
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

there's a cracking article written by Jim Champ (JimC) in the current Yachts and Yachting <b>Mad Machines: Designs ahead of their time</b>
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
chris

Post by chris »

In Classic Boat this month is an article all about the history of the Firefly