Chippenham 2005

Chat about CVRDA events
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

That just means that I'm younger than you...
How many posts do I need to get 3 stars?
Rupert
stu
Site Admin

Post by stu »

100 posts for 3 stars !!

If I was not an uberlord I would now be an 'average member', I think I'd rather stay junior myself!!!!8)
The only canoe sailor in MY village too !

8) OK K1958
8) Mirror 34459

http://www.stuandliz.co.uk

make bow waves not chat
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

How many stars have I got?.....bet its not as many as Rupert and Stu :-(

Rupert....you have jogged my memory....I think we did do some research and decide that there was a fair chance that the Lark does just fit in....and as you say, many have taken part in the past.

There are always going to be strange anomolies....or boats that don't seem to fit. I always feel that the Marauder should be CVRDA elegible....but that is way out....but then a Laser is obviously not....and that I think is older than the Marauder.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Only because everything you transfered from the old forum went in under your name, Stu!

The classes we should allow does have the "lost classes", if we want to fiddle things a bit... not that the lark fits that, and I doubt that Marauder sailors would consider them selves lost, either. But such boats as Mirror 16s would surely find a home with us?. BTW, the Mirror14 was designed in 1970, so just beats the Laser!
Rupert
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Smart alek!

I said 'I think' .....just didn't go and check it.

I am working on something to keep you amused over xmas.....a bit of a little quiz....tell you what....I will do one this year...if you do one next year!

Not sure when it will be ready but most probably just before xmas day

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
Phelps Scull
stu
Site Admin

Post by stu »

Rupert,

That is the privalage only an uberlord can obtain !!!!:D
The only canoe sailor in MY village too !

8) OK K1958
8) Mirror 34459

http://www.stuandliz.co.uk

make bow waves not chat
Pat

Post by Pat »

As someone who sails a newer Lark regularly and sailed an old one at the CVRDA event at our club as it was the only boat available to me, I would rather take part in a possibly ineligible boat than be left on the bank. Most of us aren't interested in the pots and placings but are there for the "craic" - a good sail in good company!

The Lark Association had an event with a section for old Larks but it was in the holiday season at rather short notice so was poorly attended by old boats. They missed a great weekend though so if you've an old Lark make sure to come to the next event! Keep watching http://www.larkclass.org for details.
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

OK Ed, you're on! Sadly, I remembered from a previous conversation which ended up with the old books out when the Mirror 14 came to be. Have you noticed how the design date is usually missing from the info, or in the case of Y&Y racing classes review, untrustworthy? (No fault of Y&Y, generally (except the Mirror for several years has been 1936...) but due to a lack of interest in most classes for the history of the boats, so info given tends to be a bit hit and miss.

Stu, I think I'll forgo the extra star possibilities and not be an uberlord! I'm sure you earn them!
Rupert
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Pat and of course others....

eligibility or who we allow to play with us has always been a bit of a minefield at times.

For myself....I agree with you. When I first ran the Roadford event, the idea was that it should be for 'old boats' and people interested in 'old boats'. The idea was less that it should only be for old boats and more that this was a race where you did not need a new boat to win....or to be honest that their would be some kind of handicap which made it easier to win in a classic boat than a new one.

It was to be about the fun or as you say the craic (i never know how you spell that) rather than the winning as such. I just took a classic boat to lots of events and raced against modern boats and regularly came last and I thought it would be fun to have a regatta where the old boats had a chance, in fact a better chance than the modern boats.

BUT.....things have moved on tons since then....and it is the nature of things that rules tend to get a little tighter. Some competitors don't want to race with modern boats at all and I for one felt a bit pissed of when I discovered that one wing of Roadford was won twice by a boat that I later discovered was not yet 25 years old even though I was told at the time that it was. The last time the boat came it was confirmed as 'just' 25 years old and was given a tough handicap and the helm was unamused, but this was a boat that expected to win it's wing again and the handicap committee felt this was not within the spirit of cvrda racing.

I totally support being as fluid about what we allow as the competitors are happy with. I think this can only really be done on a 'Regatta Committee' level. If the race-officers are happy that a Lark, Marauder or other similar boat is to be sailed by crew that wish to race within the spirit of the CVRDA and except a handicap which the race-officers believe will provide fair racing for 'all' boats regardless of age......then I personally are more than happy to race with them.

BUT.....as I said above....the CVRDA is growing...and we now have 5 or 6 events and it is more than likely that competitors or cvrda members will push towards a general tightening of the laws.....but I maybe wrong on this.

As a by the by....I recently had an email from someone suggesting I was a complete idiot because I had suggested on the Web site that the CVRDA vintage wing were typically wood clinker (as apposed to glued-ply)boats from the pre-2nd world war, examples including the Merlin-Rocket.....Didn't I realise that the Merlin was not designed until after the war!! etc etc. Well yes I did, but the Merlin was only an example of the type of boat we call vintage, its not set in stone....and for that matter at present we include the Tideway in the vintage wing even though most of these boats are from the 60s and 70s.

So these things have traditonally been kept rather vague and wishy-washy.....personally I would encourage them to remain so, but I suspect we will see them being generally tidied up and tightened because that is what the membership will want.

What do others think?

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
Phelps Scull
nick

Post by nick »

Well said, that man. When we were deciding on boats for the first CVRDA event at Frensham, we had some difficulty over Larks. The club was very instrumental in getting the class off the ground in it's early days, and Lark 12 was, and is, a regular turnout. We decided that the spirit of the law was more important than the letter, and 'invited' the boat as a special entry. The owner appreciated the gesture, because he wanted to take part but was concerned that others might complain that he shouldn't be there. But you have to live/sail with people, and a little give and take is more important than absolute competition. We must avoid demanding to see certificates, or we'll end up weighing boats before events !

Regards

Nick
chris

Post by chris »

Never mind the limit on length, I suggest a limit on the beam - say 2ft 6"? Last year Rupert called off one bank " water to tack please, oh you're already on the other bank"
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by neil</i>
<br />I seem to remember that the LARK does not count as a CVRDA class as it designed after 1965. Though I am usually wrong.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Bugger, wish I'd kept my mouth shut now. Sorry. Think I'll go and hibernate in my workshop until April now.
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith