Vintage Yachting games.

Chat about CVRDA events
Michael Brigg

Vintage Yachting games.

Post by Michael Brigg »

Ho hum... this looks interesting!!!

http://www.vintageyachtinggames.org/

And another link with a bit mor information here...

http://www.sail-world.com/indexs.cfm?nid=39187

I saw something about this about a year ago and then it all went quiet. It looks like something is happening now although some collective lobbying of the various class assotiations may be neccessary I expect.
In case you can't see the link, These are named as:-

1.) The Europe (Female)
2.) The Europe (Male)
3.) The O-Jolle
4.) The Flying Dutchman
5.) The Soling
6.) The Dragon

I am curious about how they have chosen the classes as my own class (The Firefly) seems not to have had a sniff of this. Surely there can't be more intrigue in the wooden (corinthian?) classes?
I expect this was drawn up by a couple of gents in Holland over dinner.
Are the any dutchmen amongst you who can rise to this challenge?

For all the discussion that can be made over the choice of class this perhaps could also become a huge potential focus for a massive international jolly. How would Netley be placed for 2012?

What do our founding fathers think of this? After the huge response on the handicapping string this one could really run!

The CVRDA strikes me as a very inclusive organisation. If you have a Boat or a story then you are welcome.

Does a selective regatta such as this have a place in the CVRDA ethic, or will it stop other less "illustrious" classes from eating at the same table.
Given the cost of restoration and preservation os even a small dinghy this is an important issue.

Personally I think this kind of event could easily be used as a means of focusing interest back onto sailing heritage.There could be potential to put appropriate value back into well preserved examples of good or interesting designs, especially if a parralel event involving a spectator "rally" or display can occur where any other boat can showcase their virtues, be that Beauty, speed, development or just plain interest and enthusiasm.

Something needs to be done to stop the decline of our beautiful heritage into the garden seat or planter pot of history
Last edited by Michael Brigg on Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Brigg
jonathan

Post by jonathan »

Michael, I think these boats are all ex-Olympic classes. The Firefly should have got in on the strength of 1948 games. Perhaps the invitation was lost in the post during our postal strike.

I think the FD in the posting I did on the Tornado issue should be de-motorised and rigged up for this or atleast used as a rescue boat. There would always be a warm welcome on it so much so that boats will be queuing up to capsize next to it.
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

I wonder if they'll achieve 5 countries entering O-Jolles! I think most people that sailed them in the games thought they were terrible, and I understood they only remain in Germany. The Tempest might have been a better inclusion as they're very popular still in Europe.
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
davidh

Post by davidh »

Hi Michael,

As always in these strings, there are two seperate issues (if not more) going on here. As I understood it, the organisers were trying hard to get not only the boats but the sailors, Olympians of old - to compete. Entry was, at least in the original concept, to be by invitation!

Now in many ways what they have done makes a lot of sense, for in what is quite a small geographic area, there is a very strong concentration of these 'old' olympic classes. Indeed, if you extend the area up into the lower Scandinavian countries, this could well have been the power base for many of the olympic classes - in both sailing and 'political' terms. Might be a good event to see though - I way well end up reporting on it.

That aside - our own 'heritage' in terms of dinghy sailing (albeit with something of an emphasis on racing). There is already a major project currently under discussion to do something to cover this very subject in the past there have been discussions and plans suggested, but now, at long last, the reality is that with luck, the right support from the 'Authorities' and some funding and yes - things will start happening, far quicker than they have done in the past. The next stage in the process could be in place within a fortnight so....watch this space!

Maybe, just maybe, in the past things have been a bit 'cart before the horse' - as a boat can be preserved, or even (as some notable examples are right now) stored away until the time is reight for them to be restored.
People - and their memories.... that is much harder, but of neccessity must be addressed (and soon) before their thoughts and experiences are lost for good.
Just last week I was speaking to the family of Chris Tremlett, a pretty signifcant boat builder on the South Coast, who, amongst other projects, built the first YW scow. Chris died two years or so ago - and with him went many of the stories of this boat. We can but hope that somewhere, in a box, will be photos/plans/drawings - but they need to be in a location where they can be indexed - then accessed.

This is now 'in hand'.........

Feel free to get in touch if you want more on this......

David
David H
DavidC

Post by DavidC »

This is the first Vintage Yachting Games and my understanding is that it will expand and eventually include other classes, including the firefly etc. The first choice of classes are those which are still active and used to traveling. Nice as it would be to see the Swallows there, I doubt if many are equipped with motorway legal road trailers.

However, there is nothing to stop a similar tribute in this country.... As DavidH says there are some things moving.

The O_Jolle is still a strong if small class in Germany and Holland and some of the modern boats are works of art in craftsmanship.

I shall be on the jury for the Vintage Games so I shall look forward to seeing how it works and no doubt a beer or two (Obviously after protests have finished!) with David
davidh

Post by davidh »

Dave,

a beer or two? ......and the rest!

I think in some ways the planned event is quite illustrative of how UK sailing - and sailing in the 'bigger picture' are today slow diverging.

If you go out to many of the top locations you will not be ankle deep in plastic fantastics - there will though be FDs, 505s, Contenders, Snipe and other 'old' (in the eyes of many UK people) dinghies.

Maybe they are slow to catch on or maybe....could it be that they are better at being 'international' (note the small i) than we are sailing wise.

Draw your own conclusions from that!

D
David H
jonathan

Post by jonathan »

Well, I suppose we could take trailer loads of old 'uns over on the ferry and have a thrash round French or Belgian cans and with suitable padding in the boat, bring back a decent load of drinky-poos. I am sure we could get some hosting from a near continent club for this. Food and drink for thought.
davidh

Post by davidh »

What a brill idea!

I'm sure that there will be people at the event from the european versions of the CVRDA - how nice to invite them over here too.

Food (lots of it and French, plus wine!) for thought there!

D
David H
jonathan

Post by jonathan »

Just another thought. Bearing in mind the nature of our boats, I think the protected waters of Zeeland might be the best bet. Short drive dowb from The Hook. Veere is pleasant but there are plenty of other places too.

Anyway I might just be dreaming as our microclimate here has let us down and its pouring! And things are getting worse as the lead has been nicked from the roof (have you seen the rise in price of scrap lead)and ceilings are beginning to seep.
Pat

Post by Pat »

Shearwater and Bristol Avon clubs always had a link with Alkmaar dating back to the second world war and the help Bath citizens gave to those of Alkmaar and the subsequent town twinning and there were annual visits both ways, competing for the Gilmer Trophy.
This died off in recent years when the Dutch didn't want to sail puddles or ditches but many current members have been over, including John and Lyn. Perhaps it's time to revive the link and expand it?
Michael Brigg

Re: Vintage Yachting games.

Post by Michael Brigg »

Seems like a good time to revive this string!
Michael Brigg
DavidC

Post by DavidC »

I am sure the organisers would welcome visitors to watch. The idea is that the event will take place every 4 years and I believe interest has been shown from France, Italy and Hungary for the 2012 event.

I am sure selection of classes will vary from event to event. The classes for this event represent the boats still sailed in northern Europe. The O Jolle has a good following and from several people I have spoken to it is apparently a very nice boat to sail.

There is a lot a information on the website to wade through. Entries are coming in but it is a long way off as yet and sailors are never very good at entering early. They aim to have 20 boats in each fleet.

As chairman of the Jury the best rules is that there will be no hearings after 23.00. That will make a pleasant change!
D
Steve

Post by Steve »

To round off the posts on this subject, the 1st Vintage Yachting Games for ex-Olympic boats took place in Medemblik, Netherlands during the last week of September. Competing classes were Flying Dutchman, Dragon, Soling, Europe (male), Europe (female) and the Olympia Jolle.

The final race entitled 'Primus inter paras' featured the winning helmsman from each class competing against each other in International 12-foot Dinghies. This race, which was held in Medemblik harbour and attracted many spectators, was won by Hungarian Flying Dutchman sailor Szabocs Majthenyl.

The start of the 'Primus inter paras' race. Dutch sailmakers Hagoort supplied six sails sporting the class insignia of each competing class.

The next Vintage Yachting Games regatta will take place on Lake Como, Italy, in 2012.
Steve Crook
Int. 12' Dinghy - NED486/SUI-4 - Einepyk
CJR1100

Post by CJR1100 »

The International Tempest Class, will be asked to join in 2012.
I wanted to go this time but we could not get enough boats to join in. They will take in any x olympic class that want to join.

Long live the older classes. Can you think that in 50 years time there will be this amount of interest in plastic boats ?

Cat, pigeon, lets see what happens
Chris Roberts
Merlin Rocket 3330
Merlin Rocket 2932
Merlin Rocket 2352
National 12 2332(RIP)
DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Hi Steve,

I must have been standing almost next to you when the photo was taken! The race for Int 12's in the harbour was excellent and superb spectator value (well for sailors anyway :D )

Just to sum up, the event was blessed by reasonable weather and was a very good event. It is sad that several crews who had confirmed their entry did not bother to turn up. They were certainly the losers and have only shown themselves up.

As usual the Dutch race management was of the highest standard and we the jury had an easy ride with only 3 hearings. Several other ex-Olympic classes were asked to be involved and hopefully they will be able to schedule their events in the future to avoid a clash. Obviously it takes time to get a new event off the ground. I look forward to seeing the O Jolle and the 12 sq metre sharpies on the same course.

There will be much discussion about how to take the event forward and especially how not to lose the momentum which is possible with a 4 year cycle. The organizers are very happy to receive feedback and ideas so it will be interesting to see how things develop.

I certainly enjoyed the event and am looking forward to the next one.

Cheers
D