Roadford - 14/15 June

Chat about CVRDA events
chris

Re: Roadford - 14/15 June

Post by chris »

I'm coming on Friday with boat but without Lois as she has other commitments. Can help race duties if required too.
Chris
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

I've just uploaded some photos of the weekend to Flikr. enjoy.

http://flickr.com/photos/23841278@N05/s ... 647176915/
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Well I had great fun!

A big thanks to Neil and everyone at Roadford!

Also thanks to Sheerwater Club.

For those that were not there.....it was sunny, there was plenty of wind on Saturday and enough on Sunday.

It was a good laugh and all very chill.

I enjoyed it so much, I joined Roadford Lake again!

To be honest - I could do with more practice in the Canoe if I am going to race her at Netley.

Still smarting from leading the field in 500m ahead of everyone and then coming 14th out of 17 after the handicap!

Getting reasonable results in a canoe is pretty hard, but with a 57 year old one....it is damn hard.

Looking forwards to Netley though....and next year at Roadford.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Pat

Post by Pat »

We had a wonderful time and are still on a high - leading from the first mark to the last 100 yards was amazing - especially when we took a guess at the first mark being port or starboard and watched the rest to see if we were right! And we only came 8th on handicap.
In the second race on Sunday we even had to hold back a bit as we hadn't seen the course at all so it was a real mystery tour - guessing the windward mark - Shop or Wortha.... who's tacking.... which way.... :)

It was good to see the non-racers out practising and pushing their limits in the open spaces - will there be lots of spinnakers at Shearwater now?

Ed - I've checked back through the previous handicaps at events and Stu sailed off 83 previously with his "modern" canoe with fully battened sail. Taking your extreme age and sails into account 88 as discussed seems about right for yours - the same as a 1970's Merlin or Roger's first planker. That puts you up to 10th overall :)

I'll put the full results up later.

I really will have to publish that individual handicap list - just to save me back tracking at each event.
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

"Taking your extreme age" ??

I'm old....but not that old!

eib

ps I would imagine that the handicap for the canoe is something that could be considered at the Nats by the Handicap committee. I am sure there will be others that need considering as well!
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
roger

Post by roger »

Thanks Neil and Roadford. We had a great weekend and got have now ticked the IC off my list of boats to do. No Stu I would love to but I cant. :shock:
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

I'd like to add my thanks to everyone at Roadford for a great weekend, particularly Neil and the guys who sat out in the committee boat on Saturday and Sunday.

Just a hole to fix before the next event!
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
chris

Post by chris »

Yes, Many thanks indeed to all who helped run 'Roadford' . Having been away to three events this year with no sailing it was great to have ideal conditions.
Thanks also to the three different crews I had.
Best sailing weekend of year!
Chris
pegasus

Post by pegasus »

Great pics ! can we get pics like that at all our events

looks like we had a good turn out

i wish i could have been there but i ahd my last exam so i hope i can be at the next event!
Pegasus 166(The Darkside) SOLD
Cherub 2646 Madge
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Thanks to Neil and the Roadford crew for a great weekend . Both Debbie and myself really enjoyed it. A great weekends sailing.
DJSpencer-Smith
roger

Post by roger »

Any one want to do a write up please for the press?
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

I'd be happy to do it but I haven't seen the full results. Any other takers?
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
Pat

Post by Pat »

Results are now loaded and available from the front page or events page.

I couldn't tell you what happenned as every time I looked around, I got told that the spinnaker was luffing, or to let the jib in or out. :)
stu
Site Admin

Post by stu »

Even though i languised around at the back of each start, sailed not very well - I loved it. Thanks to all involved and to all that came too, a real good weekend. We even stayed a few extra days until the forecast looked so bad we ducked out and ran to my Mum's in Torquay. :roll:

There really is nothing like canoe sailing once you've got your confidence and some wind, it is fantastic

As to what happened I've no idea, Ed fell in a bit, Pat & Sandy made every start (i think), I saw Neil at the fromt and then I saw him bored, Duncan broke a rudder, Peter got hit. I suspect that does not really constitute a report, but hey...feel free to plagurise (no idea how to spell that !)

See you at Netley, may go to Frensham?

Ta :D

It's still for sale Roger ! :mrgreen:
The only canoe sailor in MY village too !

8) OK K1958
8) Mirror 34459

http://www.stuandliz.co.uk

make bow waves not chat
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

Here's my go at a report, copying some of Pat's. Now if Neil can add a good photo it could be sent off?

CVRDA Roadford Rally

Over the weekend of 14/15 June, 17 boats contested the CVRDA rally on the Devon/Cornwall border. Roadford produced classic summer conditions which were very pleasant for the majority of entrants who were camping and well contested racing. The sun shone and the winds were kind enough for all. The joint event with the south west Finn travellers and Shearwater Club away weekend meant around thirty boats on the water and plenty of competitors for "Angie's Olympics" in the evening and the barbeque social. The CVRDA fleet consisted of 5 Finns, 3 Merlins, 2 OKs, 2 International Canoes and others, all over 25 years old. Phil and Alison Philpott sailed their National 12 the most consistently all weekend to victory both in the old fleet and overall, whilst Pete Vinton's Finn with wooden mast and old sails on Saturday took victory in the classic fleet. The racing was tight though with 4 different winners over the 5 races. Ed Bremner led one race throughout in his 1951 Canoe, Neil Witt led the next in his recently restored wooden Finn, Peter won 2 and Phil and Alison one. A good range of classes were represented, including an unusual old double pointed Shetland workboat, restored and converted from gaff rig to sail very effectively with a racing style bermuda rig.

Results:
1st Phil and Alison Philpott, National 12, 6.75
2nd Peter Vinton, Finn, 8.5
3rd Alan Williams, Finn, 16.0
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash