Dinghy Weeks and Classic Weeks

Chat about CVRDA events
Ed
Site Admin

Dinghy Weeks and Classic Weeks

Post by Ed »

David brought the subject up.....

but I thought it was better to start another thread here.

When we started the CVRDA it was to try and set up some races so that we could pull together some like minded classic boat sailors together to have some fun. I hope that we have done that.

But I have many times wondered and often brought up the subject on the forum the idea of going on masse to Dinghy Weeks or doing some of the Classic Yacht series of events. It has never been received with much interest, which I think is a pity.

I would think that by now the CVRDA has enough clout to be able to go to many of the larger events and ask for our own 'start' and possibly supply a perpetual trophy for the first year. I have never really followed this up with the Dinghy Weeks as I admit to preferring my classic sailing surrounded by other classic boats rather than modern boats. There have been many opportunities to get involved with the larger boat 'classic' scene, but we have never had enough interest to make it happen.

We have been invited to put on an event at Dun Laighaire with the WaterWag Worlds, including discounted ferry tickets.

We have been invited to an incredible German event up around the Freysians (?) with on-boat accomodation and dinghies towed from one race area to another each evening.

We had the possibility of an event in Brittany and also a contact with an event on the Seine a few years ago.

But no takers for any. Of course most of these were back in the days when I was able to do them myself, whereas now it would be next to impossible.

Then there are the UK events.

One of the first classic events I ever did was at Shotley (pre cvrda) with the classic Gaff and Thames Barge crowd. Great Fun, and when I spoke to them then and later, they were very keen on putting on a CVRDA event within their event.

I have spoken to both Dartmouth and Foey Classic Regattas in the past and both were more than happy to put on a race for CVRDA. But there is Plymouth, Falmouth and tons of others. The Tideways used to go to Plymouth Classic Regatta and were given a race and used to come back with great stories of the fun that they had had.

But there are so many others and all these events have some money and want the spectacle of putting on small boat racing where people can see it. Some will remember the races that we put on at Bristol Festival of the Sea and then being given 3 full competitor passes for each boat - including free food each night!!

I think it is a great opportunity. I think they would love to support us. We just need to know what we want - ask for it and turn up in enough numbers to make it worthwhile for them.

The CVRDA has become very centered on racing in the last few years, which is fine as it is the cvRda, but I do miss some of the fun events that we used to do and I think doing something with a classic week could really provide what we used to do.

Another possibility are the one-off crazy races....the long distance races, like the 3 river race on the broads, which is mainly done by classic boats anyway, what a wheeze for a cvrda fleet. What about asking about a cvrda start at other long distance races. Portishead to Pill? Severn Channel Race?

What about putting on a classic re-enactment race? A Cross-channel race? very popular in the 60s (maybe not) but what about a round-the-island? more possible for the bigger boats?

At the moment, I rather miss those 'big' events that I used to do sometimes and would love to find a way of getting the CVRDA to help organise something like those again.

Thoughts?

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Garry R

Re: Dinghy Weeks and Classic Weeks

Post by Garry R »

Tummel Week on Loch Tummel - great place - very supportive of young kids - sandpits, carties the lot. Camping good facilities as they have recently extended the clubhouse, big entry indicitative of its popularity, Pitlochry, Dunkeld, Perth fairly close for SHOPPING (the curse of the sailing classes), superb scenery, B&B's ................

2007 report here

http://www.lochtummelsc.org/ltsc/index. ... Itemid=223

North Berwick also have a classic event and I was invited to have a go though I have to say that so far sea sailing is not my favourite especially with Trish as crew as she is rather reluctant and a volunteer is worth 10 pressed men (or 100 pressed women).
Pat

Post by Pat »

Well we took First Classic Merlin at Brightlingsea's Pyefleet week this year and I'd recommend the event to anyone (old or new boat or cat) as a great week's sailing and entertainment.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I like the idea of the one off race (getting a week off to do sailing things is not going to happen, apart from the Firefly Nationals). I guess the next one is the Bloody Mary? But some of the sea based ones would be good next year. I guess we can just organize ourselves to turn up, if they don't want to do the official cvrda start?
Rupert
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Some of these races insist on an official PY in the notice of sailing so it may be a smart move to open the conversation with them beforehand. A separate start or at least separation of the results may be the easiest way to maintain our PY age differentials etc.

Nigel
davidh

Post by davidh »

Pat,

WHERE???????????????????????????????????????????????

I could serve my time just as easily at Parkhurst on the Isle of Wight!!

D

Abersoch or Lake tummel does sound nice though . You'd want somewhere not too boisterous for the oldies (and for the boats too)

D
David H
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

DAVID H PLEEEEEEEASE - LOCH (not Lake) Tummel. And don't think Tummel is a gentle sail necessarily. Not a small loch. Last year we went from flat calm to white horses in an hour so great fun. No funny tasting water and the edge seems to stay in the same place all day instead of emptying and filling twice a day.

See

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loch_Tummel
davidh

Post by davidh »

Sorry Garry, I was SO excited my fingers ran away with me!

I was drooling over the keyboard, dreaming of square sausage, Plain bread, steak pie in a skillet and mince and tatties. Would I have to change my wetsuit to a Hamilton (it's the H in the middle name) tartan one?

Being serious for a mo (if I can)....what a great way to promote the CVRDA in a location where it has yet to really reach out and inspire people. There are some great family weeks about, in locations away from the South of England, good camping, yet offering enjoyable, competitive sailing, without the pressures of it being a Nationals.

But where???? NOT PLYFLEET
David H
DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Don't worry Pat, it's just he knows hes not up to it and has to look for soft options. Of course he could rise to the challenge and prove himself.......... He has a merlin........ and there are only 7 up here at present........

Mind you he is obviously limited and frustrated because he can't even spell!!

:)
JB9

Post by JB9 »

Ed, I think it is an excellent idea, especially the three rivers in Norfolk. I will be taking J9 and have a crew too. So, why don,t we use that event in May as a starter?

Maybe we should nominate a dinghy week, perhaps Cowes, and encourage all to attend and see how it goes from there?
Harrier 25
505 7163
Pat

Post by Pat »

All those with Merlins please remember that we have our own start at the Inlands - this year it's Northampton S.C. on May 16th/17th. Roger's threatening to try to defend the trophy so let's give him plenty of competition!
davidh

Post by davidh »

Pat............

is that at Pitsford??????????????????????????

Oh no...was still banned I seem to recall after the 505 team Racing for the Aleyard Trophy. Shame about the local pub..."nice place you've got here mate, shame it's got to come down".

Can I sail in a wig and disguise?

D
David H
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Chichester Harbour federation week happens from Monday 10th-Friday 14th August 2009. That's the week before Firefly week at Hamble.

Last year they had possibly as many as 34 CVRDA eligible boats in the Fast Medium and Slow Handicap fleets and 17 Finns.

http://www.chifed.org/fed%20week%20tesu ... htm#MONDAY

I don't know how one would go about attracting their interest. They may of course feel they don't need any additional starts as their entry is already bouyant (over 300 boats last year)

Chichester I am sure would be a fabulous place to get a foothold. 13 clubs in one harbour, many with a long history (sadly mostly past history) of support for CVRDA'able classes.
Michael Brigg
davidh

Post by davidh »

Michael,

I'd be careful if I were you - all this being right might end up giving you delusions of grandeur (surely you're not actually Napoleon??).

But yes, Chichester Fed week is one of the better sailing weeks from a Classic viewpoint for the factors you mention - plus the fact that by being 'inside' the conditions might be less stressful on the older boats (and helms).

But - the one fly in the ointment is the location! Part of the plan was to 'spread the word' of the CVRDA, in that case a n other location, where the writ of the older boat has yet to find a home, might be a better option.

Besides, they let sailors like me race in Fed wekk (albeit in an RS Elite) - oh dear, that's me blackballed now)

D
David H
keithr

Post by keithr »

Just a thought re Abersoch Week usually 1st week of School Hols in Jul.

If we could get a CVRDA start it would be a great week away as only one race each afternoon
so plenty of time for family or fixing boat for next race.

There was always about 300 dinghies competing with class starts for Fireball,Ents, Lasers,Solos and now some of newer flyers.

The f/ball/ent fleets have been dropping so we have an opportunity and it would certainly raise the profile

Too late for 2009 but it is probably worth contacting South Caernarvonshire Sailing Club for 2010.
Two Peggies 199,100,
Flying fifteen 1855,
Flying fifteen 204 (now in the barn)
Sunbird