Whitefriars Classics and Lost classes meeting 29th March

Chat about CVRDA events
Rupert

Whitefriars Classics and Lost classes meeting 29th March

Post by Rupert »

Hopefully we won't get more snow then, so I hope to see you all at Whitefriars on March 29th! It being spring sailing, we can have 3 races rather than 2, but I'm sure we can keep the entry fee the same!
We may need some help for the race officers if anyone fancies coming along to support, take photos and the like, and help with such things as registration would be appriciated. I'm happy to work out the handicapping. Hopefully I can get a nice lunch for everyone sorted out, and we can finally see Tonic V's Pisces!
Please let me know if you can come so I can buy the right amount of food, and if you need a boat, please let Nigel know!
While we are looking to support the lost classes at the meeting, all the usual classic suspects will be most welcome!
Rupert
Alan P.

Re: Whitefriars Classics and Lost classes meeting 29th March

Post by Alan P. »

Hello Rupert.
This has worked out well for me.I could not have made the original date in Feb but this is a fine. Looking forward to.
OK 1211 Peter Crew wood 1968
Gull 2892 Hartley MK6 Plastic 2014
Streaker 1582. Home built. Wood 2005
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

That's great news Alan - will you be OKing?
Rupert
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

I have heard of folk being King for a day but an OKing?
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

If you are OK'ing it would be nice to give my son Tom a chance to try one out - he likes the idea of a Finn but is way to light!

29th by the way should be OK (argh! pun not intended) for me and the boys: thats one too many bodies for the plastic CVRDA-able boats we have so Tom could be free to crew for someone?

And if both boys come then sorry - previous offers of loan boats are called in as I'll be finning, Matt will be mothing.

Boat swaps and sails between races are of course totally to be welcomed..... .. .. .

Wil there be a second Skol at the meeting? Did anyone buy the other one on the eBay thread?

Regards;
j./
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Thanks for updating the front page, Pat!
John, glad you can all make it that day. One thought - can you think of anyone who might be talked into giving Jo Birkin a hand in the box on the starts and finishes? I'm quite happy to do the results.
Rupert
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

We will come. Nik will happily help with admin and photo stuff. She is a non sailor (that will soon be changing) so won't want to do anything race related, but she's good for anything else. (davidh will vouch for how efficient she is!)

I will attempt to bring a boat, either the Aged P in its sorry state, or the MOGO in a laughable state. Both dependent on how warm the weather is between now and then and whether I am allowed to paint boats not the house!

Food wise I am veggie, but can happily bring my own. Are dogs allowed in the compound at Whitefriars or will hisnibs need to visit the outlaws?
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Hi Nessa,
It will be good to meet you, finally, whichever boat you bring!
Dogs are allowed in the compound, but have to be on a lead, and I believe aren't allowed in the clubhouse. In fact, as I'm currently printing the WFSC handbook, I can tell you rule 2.6 says that they are not to cause a nuicence, either!
For some reason, rule 2.9 concerning children under 10 doesn't say the same...
Rupert
JB9

Post by JB9 »

Rupert, I blame you for the snow.
Harrier 25
505 7163
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Can't argue with that...mind you, the kids are disappointed coz we've not got any here. Must be waiting for the 29th!
Rupert
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

Dogs are fine and so are vegies (Tom, Matt and Myself to name just a few are vegie).

The new £ LOTS Harken traveler car arrived for the Finn today so we should be sailing again in time for the 29th. :D Hope another Finn arrives so as I can copy techniques and maybe learn how to sail her a bit better. For such a simple looking boat they are very technical! And hard work ;-) but thats part of the point.

See you all then!

j./
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I'm veggie too - it is the carnivores who might not find enough to eat! Omnivores shouldn't have a problem!

I've been thinking about the format...the club will be running (I think) a handicap race, followed by a pursuit race, followed by a handicap race. My suggestion, if it meets with approval, is that we have the 2 handicap races counting as the main result, with the pursuit race sailed with the club sailors in the middle, for a different bottle of wine? That way, if anyone wants to swap boats for a race and try out something obscure, there is a chance to, and we minimise disruption to the race officers for the pursuit race.
I would happily swap out of the Tonic for a race (or lend it to a shore based person) if anyone wants to try their hand?
Rupert
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

Rupert wrote: for a different bottle of wine?
Note folks: Rupert is offering a Tonic here :lol: So younger / lighter sailors can have a go.

If anyone wants to try a vessel of Finn(e) old brandy then I'm up for a boat swap in the middle race, too.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

And the puns get worse...
What happened to "Tonic Wines" as a concept? About the only place I've seen such things in the last few years was in the shop at Buckfast Abbey.
I've still not named the Tonic, by the way. Maybe we can come up with a name this weekend? And not the name I call her when my hip gives out...
Edit Just remembered that Alan came up with a great name for the ToY I owned - Tonka. Best I've come up with so far for the Tonic is Cata, and I'm sure that there is something better out there!
Rupert
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Rupert wrote: "Tonic Wines" as a concept? About the only place I've seen such things in the last few years was in the shop at Buckfast Abbey.
When I was working in Scotland a couple of years ago I learnt about "Buckie", the Buckfast Abbey fortified wine bought at the Co-op & drunk by the Neds - the local word for the no education, no hope abandoned youth generation. Buy it in the Abbey in Devon or in the Supermarkets in Scotland but nowhere in betweeen to my knowledge. What a strange world we live in.

P.S. Is "Tonic Wine" another design of Merlin Rocket?