Hunts Meeting

Chat about CVRDA events
Rupert

Re: Hunts Meeting

Post by Rupert »

Sounds good. But results matter - this is the CVRacingDA, after all! Who won, folks!?
Rupert
jon711

Post by jon711 »

I dunno, and I was there!! We all just enjoyed sailing classic boats too much, to check the results. We are like that in the east....

Jon
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

Steve and Jeremy won in the Albacore 195, then Bill Sylvester was second in Firefly 2125, sailing singlehanded. Steve and Bill are both from Notts, as is Solo 1355, sailed by K Woodworth (no first name on the entry form) so thanks to all of them for coming across and supporting us. I don't actually have a full result list, but I do know the event was a great success from the club's point of view. There were 15 entries in all, including the Vintage Merlins, which was felt to be an excellent turnout. i have to say the best thing for me was meeting all the cvrda 'names' and also the amazingly friendly atmosphere. Fabulous, I really enjoyed myself even though I couldn't sail!
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
roger

Post by roger »

Just got home after dropping in on mother in law to collect dog and scrounge roast pork dinner. :D

Fantastic weekend nice breeze, bright sunshine, very friendly club and great galley and race team and lovley town for shopping.

What else could we ask for. Thanks to Nessa and the Hunts team for a warm welcome and very enjoyable weekend. We stayed for one race today which was a charity day for Macmillan in memory of a club member and found everyone very welcoming.

Shoestring? ....well Nessa provided two very enthusiastic young lads who were going to share crewing responsibilities but after one race she felt a little sluggish on the final reach and very heavy on the slip. Unfortunately she was full of water so further investigation showed a bottom panel had come unglued along the chine so we decided one race was enough.
Not to be outdone Nessa found us the a qualifying club GP and Stephen who is entering the Mirror Nationals next week practiced our spinaker handling which got better as the race went on.

Thanks to everyone for a great weekend and look forward to coming again.

Rupert sorry i have no results except I came last apparently in Shoestring and fifteenth in the geep.

Roger

ps Sorry we cant make Notts
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I'm sure Pat has them! Good to hear detail, too...

Will you be able to get Shoestring fixed OK?
Rupert
roger

Post by roger »

Rupert wrote:I'm sure Pat has them! Good to hear detail, too...

Will you be able to get Shoestring fixed OK?
Yes should be able to fix her. Its just finding the time. Discussions with various people including Chris vary from trying to scrape out and clean join and then drill small holes all along joint and inject west all the way along as the easiest route but the glue will probably go a bit further along so the other option is to try to work the whole panel out and reglue the whole thing.If I can do this it will give me a chance to have a good look inside and may be do some prevention work. First step is to try to get her dry now.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Steve Bailey

Post by Steve Bailey »

Thanks to everyone at Hunts for a thoroughly enjoyable day out on Saturday, and it's going to be a hard act for us to follow in three week's time at Nottingham.
There were some great boats out, I think the Hornet is the only one I've ever seen, and I hope she's fixed and sailing again soon.
For the record I believe Bill in the Firefly beat us in the Alb, but what really matters is we all had a great day on the water.
Thanks again
Steve
A 195
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Sounds like Hunts should be an annual fixture, then! Excellent.
Rupert
chris

Post by chris »

Lois and I would like to add our thanks too to Nessa, Mike and all the team at Hunts. a first class day and it was great to be able to join in a race on sunday too. Well done for arranging perfect weather too. The meal at the Dolphin was a great idea too and it was ideed good to meet some new cvrda people.
Chris
davidh

Post by davidh »

The more I hear of Hunts the more I'm saddened to have missed it.

All the more so when you have what can only be described as a grade A 'snafu' (a wonderful american term for when things go wrong)

Got all the preparation work done the night before, then woke early Saturday morning to head down to the Metre Boat Shed. Laid a coat of 2 pot onto the foredeck and then left, happy that it had gone well.

Went back very late afternoon with the intention of running a final top coat on, but hestitated as the morning's coat looked splendid. Okay...just one more.

I was all togged up in paper suits but didn't wear a mask...silly boy. Since childhood, when concentrating hard, I tend to stick my tongue out between my teeth. Was just finishing off when I looked back...oh no...what's this.... I'd dribbled all over my new varnish! I don't believe it....grrrr.... will be back there this am, will flatten it all off and will then do it all again...this time wearing a mask.

There's a moral there somewhere....go to Hunts and enjoy being the obvious one!

D
David H
Meryl

Post by Meryl »

I used to have the same dribbling problem when concentrating on making delicate pieces of jewellery, (in another life) trying not to breath to much & blow the solder off.
Pat

Post by Pat »

Full results tonight - can't upload at work - but the fleet was split for prizes into Merlins (under deMay rules) and the rest (under cvrda rules). Merlins were won by a carbonated modernised "Lady Anne" from Tamesis with Hunts sailor Mike Liggett's wooden masted vintage 256 "Squirrel" second and Chris and Lois in 507 third.
"Others - cvrda" was won by Bill Sylvester in the Firefly 2125 with Steve Bailey in the Albacore 195 second.
Combining the results for overall cvrda (cvrda handicaps) put Mike and Chris ahead of Bill and Steve whilst the carbon masted Merlin fell down to about sixth or seventh, despite leading the fleet for most of the races.

Lovely weekend - the weather helped, excellent hospitality and a relaxed family atmosphere but not good for the figure, with a big dinner on Saturday and "Cakes for Cancer" on Sunday!
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

oops, sorry Steve and Bill for reversing you!
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
jon711

Post by jon711 »

David,

Next year Smokey Bear and supercrew must be there, and make sure we book for the Dinner in the Dolphin Hotel. It is an event not to be missed (The sailing and the dinner!!). I promise not to break any boats next year!! (I have not done a CVRDA event yet and not broken a boat, am I a Jonah???)

And Rupert, It most definitly must be included in the CVRDA calander as a permanent event.... Hope to see you next year...

Jon