Hunts Meeting

Chat about CVRDA events
Nessa

Re: Hunts Meeting

Post by Nessa »

People races fireballs at hunts and one chap sails a contender there, though I don't think it's big enough. No salty water, but not a pond either - actully a squarish gravel pit, but big enough for good racing.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

Roger, I am seeing two of our very keen cadets tomorrow, so I may be able to recruit them!
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
davidh

Post by davidh »

Nessa,

Okay - so the water will taste funny BUT how about the wind?

Will it blow from every direction at once?

D
David H
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

No, it's not like Shearwater or such places. We have cleared lots of trees from round the shore and get no more than the sort of shifts that make for interesting racing. Have a look:

http://www.multimap.com/maps/#map=52.32 ... PE27%204YA

Remember too, we are in the flatlands, so not much to impede the breeze!
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
davidh

Post by davidh »

Remember too, we are in the flatlands, so not much to impede the breeze

Is that the topography or the people.....

D
David H
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

heh, we are all bog trotters here!

And I do hope all are bearing in mind my lovely yellow kestrel bought for no sensible reason lying unused in the boat, park....
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
jon711

Post by jon711 »

Never sailed at Hunts.... Nessa, what is the price for the local knowledge that must be needed??? If David can get the smokers done in time, it would, actually be nice to cross the finish line this time!! (And hopefully in a good position, despite the mean handicap we sail off!!)

I may attempt to pull the new mainsheet track off (To cap my last attempt to dismantle the boat!), but if I fail have bought a lifetimes supply of sticking plasters for my backside and shins, I expect to use them all up after one lap!!

I think that it may be Eastern Sailors that are the boat breakers. I remember once borrowing a Merlin (2973?) from the owner. His son helmed, I crewed. A good force 5, close spinnaker reach, both fully hiked, full plane. When bang, Gary, bless him, didn't recognise this noise, me, with my far greater experience of boat wrecking, knew that the windward shroud had gone. Even now, I can recall the pained shouts as I said "UP, UP, UP" but he was too slow. I didn't realise that a keel stepped mast could peel the foredeck off the hull so cleanly. As a boatbuilder, I would have been proud to remove a foredeck so cleanly in the workshop, but was rather embarresed to do it on the water. After, lending me his boat, the owner went and bought a Squib - even I can not break them!! (Although I have tried a few times!!!)

Jon

Just waiting for the comments David!!
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

I have now found not one but two keen lads to crew. 4.7 sailors normally, but they are willing to learn.....
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
roger

Post by roger »

Thats fantastic Nessa. It wont be compllicated and we wil only fly the kite if its light. Its cotton so dont want to wreck it.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
jon711

Post by jon711 »

Roger, if you wreck it can I call you an Eastern sailor? Apparently only us in the East wreck boats!!!

Jon
davidh

Post by davidh »

Ah ha! Now all is revealed...watch out for some VERY revealing pictures!!

D
David H
davidh

Post by davidh »

Okay - pictures will have to follow as I have other work that must be done!

But - the short story goes as follows.

Didn't sail the Contender as I wanted to get more coats of 320 on the deck of the woodie - so in between time got stuck into the Merlin. The awful alloy hoop is off, the traveller is all ready to go on... but then I took off the port side jib sheet track and shroud quadrant.

Jon....all is forgiven (Not you though Roger...read on)

When I took the track and quadrant off, the 'bodger' who had done the earlier renovation of the boat had clearly made a mess of things. So, the screws were put back in with plastic masonry wall plugs. These I could pull out of the holes with my fingernails....

So there is the story- the Smokers was a disaster waiting to happen! In a way I'm glad it happened up on whitefriars, where the situation could be easily handled. Had this happened out in the solent it could have been a very different matter!!

I'm now trying to check everything BUT...is it time for another Hull?

D
David H
jon711

Post by jon711 »

Ahh, plastic masonary wall plugs, the perfect gift for a boat bodger. Do you think these wall plugs, were supplied by a society that may have a funny handshake?? Sorry, if my humour is to off scene!! However, I do seem to recall, repairing boats with rawl plugs, I just never told the owner!!

Jon
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I've used them inside foam core centreboards, but never in wood.
Rupert
jon711

Post by jon711 »

Yes, for my sins, I have used them in wood, much better than matchsticks!!

I would not say that it is recomended practice though!! And you will never find them mentioned in any boatbuilding tome...

Jon