Oulton Week 2010

Chat about CVRDA events
Ancient Geek

Re: Oulton Week 2010

Post by Ancient Geek »

Jon is too modest to also say that Oulton Regatta Week is well over 100 years old as an event and there will probably boats there racing that raced in the original weeks. So it is also a very senior event, very much part of the social calendar as well as sailing.
If not a Championship.
Simples.
jon711

Post by jon711 »

I like that. But are you saying that the CVRDA are newbies who should toe the line??? :mrgreen:

I want the CVRDA to attend Oulton Week, and this years Week has been better publicised than ever before. We now have interest from North Norfolk, Norfolk (I nearly said normal Norfolk - but there is no such thing), and Suffolk...

Appologies, to all the sailors from Normal Norfolk (It was intended in jest, please don't grab me with you webfingers at Oulton Week!!!)

If the sailors from Norfolk, want to improve the nationail impression of Norfolk and Suffolk sailing (And although Oulton Broad may culltraly be in Norfolk, it is very proud of being in Suffolk!), turn up with you webfingers.

Appologies to any one that may have been offended by this posting - it was all done in jest!!

Jon
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

Not at all, but tradition is important, and that's all, the hoped for many CVRDA visitors to Oulton will find a warm welcome that comes from very kind and nice people, together with an established, flexible and mature infrastructure and organisation, I am sure those are there nearly everywhere else too.
Simples.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I have no doubt at all that it will be a great event, and I quite understand that it is where it is in the calendar. I can see no reason why a classic event under the cvrda flag shouldn't be a great success there, followed by a good turnout for the Nationals after. It sounds like the East is being mobilized for the event, and they are almost all people who would never even heard of the cvrda, let alone come to Clywedog.
Rupert
roger

Post by roger »

I am really stuck with this one and have been mulling it over for some time. I would love to take a fortnight off work and sail at Oulton again. I have very fond memories of school holidays with the CCF sailing on the broads and would normally have jumped at the chance.
I am thrilled that the CVRDA is at last spreading its wings out of the south and west.
However I have to choose between Oulton and Clwedog and as commode I feel I ought to turn up at the AGM and support our main event.
I am looking forward to your reports and pictures and tales of derring do from those who manage to get to both. Hopefully the wind will blow and the sun will shine for us all.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
jon711

Post by jon711 »

As we are not a sticky, just thought I'd bounce us to the top!!!!!

Jon :mrgreen:
jon711

Post by jon711 »

roger wrote:I am really stuck with this one and have been mulling it over for some time. I would love to take a fortnight off work and sail at Oulton again. I have very fond memories of school holidays with the CCF sailing on the broads and would normally have jumped at the chance.
I am thrilled that the CVRDA is at last spreading its wings out of the south and west.
However I have to choose between Oulton and Clwedog and as commode I feel I ought to turn up at the AGM and support our main event.
I am looking forward to your reports and pictures and tales of derring do from those who manage to get to both. Hopefully the wind will blow and the sun will shine for us all.
Roger,this year we will excuse... But if as I am expecting we end up with more entries for Oulton Week, than Clewedog... Will you alter the dates???

Jon

(Of Clewedog, Oulton Week has been the same date for over 100 years!!!)
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Not sure it matters which has more entries - I will endeavour to avoid a near clash next year, but it very much depends upon the availability of the host club, wherever that may be.
Once this season is under way, I intend to start scouting for venues for 2011, long before either event is on, so it can be confirmed at the AGM.
Rupert
jon711

Post by jon711 »

And of course, when looking for suitable venues, you will consider Oulton. We may not be in the South West of the country, but we will attempt to accomodate you, with our web fingers and hunch backs!!!

Jon
roger

Post by roger »

jon711 wrote:, with our web fingers and hunch backs!!!

Jon
Have you ever been to the somerset levels?? :?

On a more serious note all suitable venues are considered for the Nationals but the traditional August bank Holiday does seem to be the most popular and convenient time to hold the event.

I am sure we will discuss this at length later in the year.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
davidh

Post by davidh »

Roger,

the webbed fingers and hunch backs are just the women - the better looking ones at that!!

Actually, I think there is a bad case of wussishness going on now. Casting back to the old days in the Merlin and certainly in the Hornet (bear me out here Al) you'd finish at event 1 (oulton broad)...party 2/3rds of the night...... pack up boat, race across country to event 2 (clwedog). Arrive late, rig boat, do rude things to Commodore daughter, open bar, sail, party, sail again before heading home.

Where's our sense of adventure?

Of course, if we were americans, we'd 'incentivize' competitors to do both events (only the americans can turn a noun into a verb - but what do they know about english and the language!!!!

But there is after all a solution - offer a prize for the best combined results.

D
David H
roger

Post by roger »

davidh wrote:Roger,

the webbed fingers and hunch backs are just the women - the better looking ones at that!!

Actually, I think there is a bad case of wussishness going on now. Casting back to the old days in the Merlin and certainly in the Hornet (bear me out here Al) you'd finish at event 1 (oulton broad)...party 2/3rds of the night...... pack up boat, race across country to event 2 (clwedog). Arrive late, rig boat, do rude things to Commodore daughter, open bar, sail, party, sail again before heading home.

Where's our sense of adventure?

Of course, if we were americans, we'd 'incentivize' competitors to do both events (only the americans can turn a noun into a verb - but what do they know about english and the language!!!!

But there is after all a solution - offer a prize for the best combined results.

D
David nothing to do with wussiness (is that a word?) its all to do with time and money.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Mostly wussyness for me, with added time, money and family.
I agree Oulton is worth some thoughts for the Nationals. Trouble is the format of the week doesn't really allow for a weekend event.
Something to think about once this season is under way.
Rupert
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

Actualy it is probably priorities and commitment isn't it.

David H is right but we have all passed a lot of water since those days!
So is R'. But tell the wife she can't have that new dress (It is priorities.).
Seriously, fuel companies have begun to give fuel vouchers for sporting event competitors to encourage ground roots participation, I will enquire.
Simples.
roger

Post by roger »

Ancient Geek wrote:Actualy it is probably priorities and commitment isn't it.

David H is right but we have all passed a lot of water since those days!
So is R'. But tell the wife she can't have that new dress (It is priorities.).
Seriously, fuel companies have begun to give fuel vouchers for sporting event competitors to encourage ground roots participation, I will enquire.
AG you obviously live in a very different world to me. My wife hasnt had a new dress for years(second hand may be).
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353