Salcombe Week 2010

Chat about CVRDA events
davidh

Salcombe Week 2010

Post by davidh »

For all those Merlin Rocket fans............

To date, less than 10 days to go, only 45 entries have been made for Salcombe week 2010 (first week July). Now of course there could be a frantic last minute rush to get entries in before the December 1 closing date but also maybe this may be the year when anyone who wants to compete in the event can do so (normally the 100 boat limit is oversubscribed so a draw is made).

Salcombe Week for the Merlins is rated by Y&Y as one of the 'Top Ten events to do' and now there is actually a chance to do it. Is anyone else considering adding this in to their calender for the coming season?

David
David H
Ancient Geek

Re: Salcombe Week 2010

Post by Ancient Geek »

Having looked at the entry, and with the caveat that I have not raced a Merlin rocket (Except an evening race at hamble.) since June 1970 I would say David's thesis is there or thereabouts. It's earlier than usual which means for responsible parents with school age children it is not possible, the credit crunch is hitting too in most class regatta entries across the world.
The question though is why might you want to go. I only did one Salcombe Week and that was before the Merlin Rockets were excluded and had their own week.
The traders rip you off, to quote my late Father's comments about Dunkirk "Oh the noise, oh the people". You cannot park your car, the sailing is in a tidal sluice the boats are kept a ferry ride away on the other side of the river, the Harbour Master is happy to take your money and then to stop you doing anything, the wind is cut up puffy and flukey. Even out of season its not a nice place and oh so expensive, for example the same local bakers chain charges 25% more in Salcombe than at its other two outlets in the South Hams (Of which by the way I am a massive fan.) but it does have its followers I will admit.
No, find a nice friendly West Country Week if you must Falmouth, Fowey, Brixham, Torquay & Dartmouth spring to mind, better still head East to The Blackwater and Brightlingsea or Oulton Broad, where the welcome will be amazing, the prices sensible and the sailing as good as you'll get.
Simples.
davidh

Post by davidh »

Hansard will be covering the reports of the Trial of AG for heresey, one of the few crimes that carries the ultimate sanction (in this case being burnt at the stake on the grass lawn in front of Cookham Reach SC).

But joking aside, there is a valid point being expressed here.

Why do it.... first you have the UK road network, then the M5, before hauling up telegraph hill on the west side of exeter, the fun and games of the A38 (by now you're in Bandit country so dare not stop) before the slog down the narrow lanes towards Totnes, then on down to Kingsbridge. Now that the New Inn at Malborough no longer brew their own scrumpy out the back the next safe watering hole is in Salcombe itself, by the time the tonsils have been steeping in enough alcohol to make life worthwhile both car and boat have gathered an amazing collection of parking tickets.

AG! A Philistine you may be Sir..... but in the end, you're right!

Mischief maker

D
David H
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

Well I've done only one Salcombe week, in my old Lark 416. It's still the best dinghy event I've ever done and top of my list to do again. The wind and tide mean that skill is paramount, not boat speed and it's the most beautiful setting. The courses are really interesting and so much better than the olympic triangles 5 miles offshore that I used to slog around. Worth getting a Merlin for!
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
Pat

Post by Pat »

It's something I'd like to do one day but it's not high enough up the priority list to allocate valuable holiday to yet. Pyefleet week comes higher on the list - none of the posh or pretentious there!
However we might go down just for the weekend this year for the class AGM, taking the Zodiac and outboard not the Merlin as its several years since I've been there and never for sailing.
davidh

Post by davidh »

Pat,

am getting a tad worried - did you see the ad on the MR website for the new Milanes board? Well, too late, I've bought it. Does this mean that 3025 will go to Salcombe? I'd love to but have to admit that the posh and pretentious presence may put me off!

Did you also see in the new MR magazine the advert for Tresaith weekend - a bummer for you as it clashes with Pyefleet Week.

I've invested in a wall planner and it's a mess already. The Isle of Man for the TT, Contenders at La Rochelle, then Oulton Broad, before the 505s at Lyme Regis. Hang up wet suit (after that much sailing the wetsuit will probably walk to the hanger unaided) and don smart clothes - am on the Race Team for the Laser Master Worlds at Hisc(fancy a job for 10 days???). Back to the Smokers for Shearwater et voila - that was 2010! In between all this, there are big things afoot (12 inches when last measured) at Dinghy Mag - will do a post on that as it looks v good news.

So although Salcombe and Looe look fantastic I think they too are slipping down the priority scale.

D
David H