Classic Finn Series 2010

Chat about CVRDA events
Brookesy

Classic Finn Series 2010

Post by Brookesy »

After the fun we had at the Roadford Event this year which attracted an entry of nine Finns I thought it would be a great idea to build on this and try to increase the participation at CVRDA events by encouraging boats from those other clubs out there where there are very small numbers of eligible Finns which are being raced regularly but are put off from going to the modern Finn open circuit in the belief that their boats, and in some cases they themselves (although we won't admit it) are no longer competitive due to age!!
The British Finn Assoc is keen for the classic side of the class to develop and has offered to put up a trophy, and the CVRDA Committee has agreed to allow a series to be run within the 2010 CVRDA Calendar as The Classic Finn Series.
The series will consist of six meetings, with the scores to count from four, with as fair a geographical spread as could be acheived. the Eligibility for boats will be to the normal CVRDA criteria (over 25 years old), as will handicapping.
Currently we have two basic PY numbers for 'old' and 'classic', and I think there should be a third introduced for boats which now use carbon/mylar type rigs. This should hopefully keep a level playing field whilst taking into account that alloy spars are now only available for the Finn on the secondhand market which is shrinking rapidly.
I have been trying to put the point across to potential entrants that the emphasis on our events is of competitive racing with FUN, that we try to have as much enjoyment off the water as on and generally our events are more of a family friendly social event than an Olympic Qualifier.
I was not surprised that there have been more than a few favourable comments about our format from those who are put off by the 45 min sail to the race area and three races back to back which seems to be the norm on the circuit these days.

The proposed calendar of events is;

Whitefriars March late tbc.
Roadford Lake May 1st/2nd (Bank Hol)
Bosham June late tbc
Clwedog August mid tbc
Corus October early tbc
Staunton Harold July or Sept ?

DavidH has agreed to give the series some coverage in the press and a title sponsor for prizes etc has been agreed in principle.
I am awaiting responses to the emails I have sent out to those who I know to be eligible and so far the feedback is showing that we can better the Roadford entry from this year at all these events next year whilst raising the profile of the association.
Please PM me your email address if I have missed you from my initial email if you would like to be included in any updates.
GBR74 ex custodian of
GBR384 Mickey Finnale (Taylor,wood)
GBR455 Rubber Duck (Taylor, grp)
FD GBR350 Supercalifragalisticexpialidocious
Brookesy

Re: Classic Finn Series 2010

Post by Brookesy »

I have been amazed at the response to the Classic Finn Series with sixteen helms proposing to join in so far. A few have pointed out that they may only be able to do one or two rounds, but I think that is fine, please if there is anyone else who is interested please let me know so that I can try to convince you further...
GBR74 ex custodian of
GBR384 Mickey Finnale (Taylor,wood)
GBR455 Rubber Duck (Taylor, grp)
FD GBR350 Supercalifragalisticexpialidocious