Nationals 2010

Chat about CVRDA events
davidh

Re: Nationals 2010

Post by davidh »

Brilliant,

Just the sort of thing I'm looking for - as long as it has a handicap on a par with a topper! Dave C - got your harness ready.... sounds just the sort of thing we should be doing for a week up on the east coast.

Now there is however a serious side to this string! As I researched it, once again it became clear just how deeply entrenched so much of the pre war and early post war years were marked by a definite south coast bias by the yachting establishment. The Solent (and in their limited mindset, Chichester Harbour WAS part of the Solent) was were 'it was all at' and the east coast -and the people there recieved far less in the way of recognition. Some of this bias almost became institutionalised and it was probably only come the 1960s - with greater mobility (social and otherwise) that this was overcome.

I am sure that I may live to regret making such an early committment to Oulton Broad Week (will I live to complete the week should be the more pertinent question) but I'm looking forward to it as I think that this really is an event worthy of support. Can we shift the emphasis to somewhere safer though for 2011.....Scotland would do for me..... and keep July 2012 clear in the diary.

How about an even billed as 'NOT the Olympic games..... celebrating Jack Holt and a host of other things besides'.

4 days at Netley should do it!

D
David H
jon711

Post by jon711 »

Ancient Geek wrote:On Oulton Broad in my youth, The handicap bandit was a converted Uffa Fox airborne lifeboat called Swan owned and sailed by Cecil Cubitt she had a cut down freeboard, a trapeze and flew a Dragon spinnaker.
And the Cubitt trophy is still raced for during Oulton Week!!
davidh

Post by davidh »

Do you get to play tonsil tennis with AG if you win that one too?

D
David H
jon711

Post by jon711 »

The club have allowed kissing of AG at the prize giving. Just as long, as it is remembered that kids will be there....
davidh

Post by davidh »

Jon,

will invest in a pair of thigh waders just in case.

Will there be just the one classic start, will we all be lumped in together.What other classes will be sailing?

May have to buy a Pegasus - scary thought

D
David H
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

There is a lovely thread ready to go about Oulton here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2486
which will make more sense to people who are looking for info about Oulton, rather than about the Nationals at Clywedog.
Rupert
davidh

Post by davidh »

Rupert,

Good pointer.......

I'm still looking at how the two events can be done - whilst it is not impossible it will be a challenge. It is not just the distance, nor even one of logistics but a much wider question of how many people will have the time to commit to do the two. Getting a boat from A to B (where B is Oulton) for a week, then onto C (as in C for Clywedog) for a long bank holiday weekend, before returning to A is just one of mileage - getting a crew who can also do both is much harder.

It is enough to make one consider sailing a singlehander again. Now....how many single handers are there that carry weight, are CVRDA eligible (that rules out the P*ant*m) and are any good (see the other thread not just on Oulton but on Handicap Banditry)?

Oh my.... I don't like the OK, the Canoe is not that good on handicap.... that leave a *in*! Now that is almost reason to present oneself for sectioning........

So the choices are a Pegasus or a Finn..... Typhoid or the Plague. Don't think I could stand the P*** taking if I were to sail either.

What's a Harrier like on handicap?

D
David H
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

davidh wrote:What's a Harrier like on handicap?
95 or 98 depending on what you read (circa 1973) - my view would be more in line with 98.

Have you got a £25 Chrismas pressie in mind on eBay?

Nigel
Brookesy

Post by Brookesy »

David
you have my word, we will not gloat if you make the obvious choice, I'll even advise which pies to consume during your training period.
GBR74 ex custodian of
GBR384 Mickey Finnale (Taylor,wood)
GBR455 Rubber Duck (Taylor, grp)
FD GBR350 Supercalifragalisticexpialidocious
keithr

Post by keithr »

David

I know its a long time till August 2010 but, putting you on the spot, you are welcome to borrow one of my Peggies and I can probably find you a trapeze ready crew.

Solves the problem of moving boats!!!! : :wink: :wink:

Keith
Two Peggies 199,100,
Flying fifteen 1855,
Flying fifteen 204 (now in the barn)
Sunbird
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

I don't think this journey looks too bad - a bit further on than my recent sojourn in Stropshire. Provided IAAF/an alternative crew/potential orthopaedic surgery allows we will be there with Aggie.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

Surgery not an excuse its 10 months away.
The pigs are reved up at the end of the runway to see Agamemnon on Oulton Broad.
Simples.
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

Vanessa got your message and I have responded with your only feasible action, in this trust me the lady is a genius.
Simples.