Whitefriars event March 28th

Chat about CVRDA events
davidh

Re: Whitefriars event March 28th

Post by davidh »

Jon

Boat all packed and spinnaker sheets left tied on to the two clews so I know that they are there

any issues - moble is 07847280302

See you tomorrow

D
David H
jon711

Post by jon711 »

davidh wrote:Jon

Boat all packed and spinnaker sheets left tied on to the two clews so I know that they are there

any issues - moble is 07847280302

See you tomorrow

D
Thanks David, now have to dig the mobile out of the spider webs, along with my sailing kit!!!

Will be leaving at 04:00AM... You can never trust the M25!!

Jon
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Blimey, 4am? Shall I bring a camp bed for you to have a nap? Or will you get comfy in the front of the Merlin and have a snooze?
Rupert
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

I raced the Megabyte today at Shirehampton so there is a good chance I will not be able to walk properly tomorrow. On the upside, I won :D so have my glory already for this weekend (only three boats finished but a win is a win 8) ).

A mate is coming along for the ride tomorrow. I told him to bring his kit so there is a crew spare for anyone that wants one. If all else fails he can man one of the oars or bang the drum in the trireme Skua
davidh

Post by davidh »

Rupert and all the other hard working team at Whitefriars.... a big thank you to you all for another well run day. Despite my day being 'short but sweet' I enjoyed myself no end, though for the second year in a row I've come back from WF with a trailer load of bits - a reet bummer as I really thought that this could have been a good chance for the Merlin.

Thanks to Jon who despite the lack of sleep showed just how good it can be sailing with a top line crew....the last long reach before the rig let go was as good as merlin sailing gets.

I've an 'interesting' sequence of pictures of the start in the second points race, from the moment that Ruper first called starboard on 'chancy starter' Roger in the borrowed Applecore. I cannot promise the the whole sequence won't make an appearance in print sometime soon....

Dougal
David H
roger

Post by roger »

Rupert, my thanks also to all the Whitefriars team. A well organised event as ever and the rain held off until we got home.

All the best Rog

I cant wait to see the pics David.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
davidh

Post by davidh »

Roger the Boat breaker (opps...sorry, can't say that any more)

Start again

Roger the chancy starting commodore (in a beautiful borrowed boat too)

Too late - have downloaded the pics and you clearly have star quality. I'll try fopr the News of the World (read awl abart it.... Commodore in dramatic start line crisis) - all the more so given you clear preference for climbing up the hull 'doggy style' (well, I think you were climbing up the boat.... on a second viewing I'm not so sure....not the most dignified of pose.)

Better still, shall I upload the shot. THis is good, it's like jezza on Top Gear.

So who WOULD like to see just a tantalisng glimpse of Roger on hands and Knees. The caption could well read' "sod it, I can't see the compass....how will I find east now"

D
David H
jon711

Post by jon711 »

View from the front..

First a great thank you to Whitefriars, for a great event, and also a thank you to the CVRDA for being so welcoming to a CVRDA virgin...

We got afloat early and had a nice sail around the course, and actually gelled as helm and crew quite quickly (A lot quicker than some people I've sailed with!)

Lining up for the start, 10 seconds to go, good position, about where we wanted to be. I suddenly heard from behind me "F**k". I looked back to see David, holding the back end of the centerboard case in his hand, not a major problem you may think, but, this just happened to be the piece of the case that the mainsheet turning block was screwed to!! However consumate proffesional that he is, said "Dosn't matter, I will sail it skiff style straight off the boom!!" I think we both realised that spinnaker hoists would be interesting with no main sheet cleat....

Third lap, first boat on the water, and it was my turn to speak an expletive, although a less emphatic one!! "S**T", as the turning block for the jib sheets pulled the track off the boat. We finished that beat with less pointing, but still first boat on the water. On the downwind leg David flew the kite, while I tried to figure out how to sheet the jib on the next windward leg. The shroud adjuster racks were in about the right position, and had a nice big hole in them. just suitable for a jib sheet, but would create a bit more friction, I'll reeve it through there, thought I. Rounded the leeward mark, still first boat, pulled the jib in, and pulled the shroud adjuster off!!!! I can not even **** the expletives then said!! We then both realised that it was game over!!

Still a very enjoyable day, even if I now, have a reputation as a boat wrecker!!!

Jon
nprice

Post by nprice »

I'd like to echo the thanks for the hospitality and good sailing. Great day. Have to get diabolo to point! DH, any chance of seeing some pictures? :D
Nick
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

A splendid event. I can hardly wait 'til the next one (as soon as I can walk properly) :?

well done to Rupert and his team of helpers.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Nick, I shall send all the pics that the people in the race hut took with our camera to Pat to put on the site.
Rupert
davidh

Post by davidh »

Rupert,

If you do a report make sure that you send me a copy and I can put it up on the web for you

D
David H
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Thanks for a good event, will be feeling the effects for at least week. Alan did you find your keys eventually? Arrived back in Plymouth via Roadford at 10.30pm. in pouring rain.
Cheers Al
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

Very glad you all enjoyed yourselves!
http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/news/?article=151009
Simples.
Pat

Post by Pat »

Very enjoyable first outing this year for Half Cut. We've now remembered some of those things that should have got done over winter - dodgy cleats, leaky bailer etc. Special thanks to all those port-hand-flyer-triers who tacked out of our way leaving us the clean air and to Periwinkle the Puffin who got the best start at the starboard pin end and persisted patiently to finish despite being lapped by us at least three times!

Alan eventually found his keys in a remote recess of his bag after calling the AA.

All pictures will be gratefully received and will be posted in the gallery.