Mayflower Report from Sat evening

Chat about CVRDA events
stu
Site Admin

Post by stu »

Thanks Alan, I will try my best at the supernova's. I'm hoping for plenty of wind and some nice big waves - AFTER I have launched from the beach !!!!

stu
The only canoe sailor in MY village too !

8) OK K1958
8) Mirror 34459

http://www.stuandliz.co.uk

make bow waves not chat
roger

Post by roger »

Alan.
So sorry we didnt make it this year. I was looking forward to a tussle in the Hornet. I will try again next year.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

All the cvrda events should be on the calendar in Y&Y. I just went and checked the admin bit and it was in there.
YYC was a suggestion if you wanted a place to run the event when Mayflower couldn't. From the reply, I guess not...
Hoping to get there with the ToY next year, and looking forward to some steady breezes!
Rupert
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi Rupert and Roger
It would be great to see you both at MSC next year. Also looking forward to seeing how the Toy goes. My Toy planed bow up but seveteen stone anchored to the plank my have had something to do with it. Roger I hope your mother is recovering you have my sympathy as mines just had a stroke and we are travelling up and down to S. Wales every other weekend at present.

Cheers
Al
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi Every one
I just wish that all the people who have read these postings would come and sail on the Sound with us.
Sail fast and often.
AL
Pat

Post by Pat »

How about aproaching Rock SC. Not too far from Roadford and estuary/sea sailing. Good reputation for hospitality too!
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I would imagine Rock to have as crowded a summer calendar as Mayflower...always wanted to sail there, though.
Rupert
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi Pat the debate is not about another venue but getting people to attend any venue in any numbers. I would like to ask you why you have not attended MSC when you are Quick about talking about hospitality etc. at Rock. I have sailed at Rock several times and apart from a sandy beach it has little to recommend it being full of yuppies and learners. The Whole area dries out!!! I once sailed a National Championship with start times at 7am to get the top of the tide!!! and have run aground at every mark. Beside this Roadford to Plymouth is actually Closer both in time and Distance. MSC offers racing at any state of the tide. Try us before dissing us. I have sailed at Shearwater and praised your club dispite it being the type of sailing I would not normally choose to do. Rock are also hardly likely to accommodate the small number of people who do travel to events for a CVRDA open meeting. But Mayflower will due to loyalty to its members and the fact that it likes what the CVRDA Stands for.

Cheers Alan Williams

PS are you the same person who moaned about Bowmoor?
Mark

Post by Mark »

Personally my reasons for not atending were simple 1) No suitable boat, the Moths are hardly the right for the Sound and the N12 is far too fragile....... 2) I was working !!!
RC Laser 898
Mirror 67423 Dawn Run
British Moth730 Moneybox
http://karencollyer.net
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

OK....cool it guys!

I really don't want to go down the "Why don't you come to my event" route again.

I don't know why the numbers are low for Plymouth....but I really don't think it is any of the things that we have discussed so far.

I really doubt that changing to another sea venue....or a change of date would make any difference.

It might have something to do with the lack of camping....and the belief that it would be a costly w/end....but I am not even sure on that.

I can only say simply that Plymouth Sound is personally I think one of the best places to sail in Britain.....at least that I have been to. It is relatively safe.....steady winds....waves....hospitable club...etc....etc.

I have sailed at Rock too.....lots of times....most probably much more than Plymouth Sound, especially because of local camping and beaches....but I wouldn't say the sailing was a patch on Plymouth Sound. Sorry but my experience of Rock Sailing and Watersking club is not great either....but we miss the point anyway.

We can't just go to a club and say "hey put on an event....who knows maybe we will get 6 boats....and you will only loose £20 or so on rescue boat petrol" We rely on CVRDA members inviting us to their home clubs and putting on a great event as they always do.

Alan has been putting this event on for a much longer time than the CVRDA has been around. It was the first event away from Roadford. They have always supported the CVRDA and I hope they will for a long time yet.

I would love anybody to come to the Plymouth event.....but of course it won't suite all....any more than trying to sail a hornet or jollyboat at Sheerwater or Chippenham would suite me.

And of course sea-sailing is an acquired taste.....

When we were packing up at Mayflower on Sunday. one of those thin laser cats was towed in by a jetski, having broken some bit or another. I went up to him to commiserate and he said with a big smile: "Incredible, just incredible......its just an enormous great big playground out there"

I enjoy sailing on lake and river....and do often.....but sea-sailing just makes me grin.

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Mark

Post by Mark »

Well said Ed
Mark
RC Laser 898
Mirror 67423 Dawn Run
British Moth730 Moneybox
http://karencollyer.net
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi Mark
I'm well aware of the boats you sail and and would certainly not expect you to sail them at MSC nor people with similar boats, horse for courses. As I said at the begining I'm not worried by the numbers and neither are the club as we combined the event with a Dart Open held out side the Sound. Their costs more than off set ours.
So lets all bury the hatchet and enjoy the rest of the year. But can we all please be resonable when commenting on things/events we have not experienced.

Sail fast and often in what ever you have.
As granny says lifes not a dress rehersal.

Cheers Al
chris

Post by chris »

From Yachting World 1946:
Merlin at Plymouth
'On Saturday March 2 (1946), a demonstration of Merlin, Yachting World 14ft restricted class prototype was given at Plymouth....Dinghy racing men who intend to race in regattas in various parts of the country will be interested to learn that Merlin with her mast and gear was trailed without difficulty behind an 8 h.p. Standard car, completing the 200 mile journey in a little over eight hours.... '

Merlin raced against Nimrod (int 14) and two Looe Redwings, Nimrod was first, then Merlin and the Redwings. A crowd of 200 watched.

Ah! those were the days!
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

expecting to race against a few Redwings myself on Saturday!

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Mark

Post by Mark »